“Nice accommodation on outskirts of Hanga Roa”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Atavai Pension

Atavai Pension
Ranked #12 of 34 Hanga Roa B&B and Inns
Guayaquil
“Nice accommodation on outskirts of Hanga Roa”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Nice place. Friendly owner with some English, good French. Rooms clean, modern and comfortable. Breakfast was a roll and black coffee or tea so a bit of a disappointment there. Extras expensive but so is everything in Rapa Nui. Very helpful in organizing tours and a car rental. 20-30 minute walk outside town so at night flashlight a good idea. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others also.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tokyo
Reviewed 4 January 2014

If you have a car or bike, the place is ok. But if not, it is too far away from everything.
So if you plan to walk around in the town, pleases find your place there.
Or I recommend you to stay there in the twon or very close to the town, if you have no any reason to stay so far away.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Mitsuru
London
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

It started fairly well with the owner providing a lot of useful information and kindly ordered a car for us which was delivered to us at the hotel in the morning. Unfortunately and once we had paid for our 3-night stay it stopped there. Despite the fact that our flight was at midnight the check out was strictly at 10 am. We were able to leave our luggage in reception but it was made clear to us that it should be collected before 8 pm when reception closes. No alternatives were offered. We collected our luggage at 7:30 pm and I asked to use the toilets. I was told that there weren't any in reception and obviously he didn't want me to use the toilet in the several empty rooms. instead the owner helpfully mentioned that there were toilets at the airport!! (and no it was not a joke).
The hotel is decent but overpriced, like everything else on easter island. however, 4 USD for a cup of tea is just a rip off. I understand that the island is very isolated and that goods and services come at a premium but a cup of boiling water with a tea bag for that price is ludicrous, short of robbery. I cannot recommend this hotel, especially as it's far away from town

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jmt12london
HotelAtavai, Propietario at Atavai Pension, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear guest,
I apologized to you about the toilets. You backed to our reception 10 hours after your check out, to recuperate your luggages and go to airport. At airport, there is public toilets, and we are very closer to this place. About our rooms, you thought that we had vacant, but it s not true, we were waiting for new clients arriving at the same night of your flight, so at this schedule, we don t have anymore time to clean again the room, so there is no more room for that, there were prepared for other people, I think that you found your room very clean at your arrival( you arrived by night) we keeped your room clean for you , it s what I m sure that we have to do.
So, we needed your room and the timetable of our workers is in the morning, they finish their work at 14h00, so, I m so sorry but the check out is on time, I you have your flight by night, you must keep your room and ask for a late check out, as we gave you the information.
Very friendly, we keep your luggages until 20h00, I think it s very kind as well you had your car.
About if we are overpriced, I can t understand when you payed 76 usd per night, for our island it s very correct! And you never took a breakfast, or a cup of tea. You said overpriced, and you went to Tahiti at check out so, you will see yourself big prices, dishonestly you added about our location when you had a car for all your stay.
I remember myself, I visit your country 3 time, and London it s not a city very cheap, I m wrong? But I never claimed about it.
Friendly, but objectively, we are sorry that when you were no more our client( 10 hours after your check out), we didn t have a toilet for you.
La direccion.
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The French owner is nice and helpful and offered transfer to and from the airport which we appreciated. The bungalows are very basic (very much like the cheap Southeast Asian style) and in no way justify the price - BUT on Easter Island everything is more expensive and thus I think Hotel Atavai is not a bad choice after all; and it's clean which is most important to us. Be aware that the walls are incredibly thin and whenever anyone flushes the toilet or showers you will definitely hear it very well. Breakfast is not included and in my opinion very pricey if you order à la carte. The owner will help with renting scooters and cars and also provided us with a map of the island. The location is okay, quite close to the airport and a 15min easy walk into town.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is simple but confortable, it is located around 15 minutes by foot from the Hanga Roa center, but this is not a problem. The owners are fantastic and gave all brightness for the place: they are kind, generous, give you all hints do you need to get the best of the island. Breakfast is customized and its delivered in front of your bedroom. Simple and delicious! Definitely we'll comeback there!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Belgium
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Very economic rooms. Pension is held by a French man and his wife (native from the Island). It is set outside city center but as the Island is super safe, walking by night/day (+\- 20min) is pleasant. Staff is very helpful and gives all kind of advice, arranges bookings, picks you up&drops you at airport, etc.
Comfort of rooms is very very basic (you pay what you get) but always very clean.
Internet on the Island is not very good so don't expect wifi working all times or reaching bungalow.
Breakfast is optional and is served on the terrace of your bungalow. If you choose a la carte, price is way overrated for one cup of coffee.
Recommended if you are looking for budget friendly (everything else on island is already super expensive) accommodation and don't mind being away from center.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The personnel is a very nice and kind rapa-nui/French family.
The breakfast was incredible! Even they asked me what I wanted to eat the day before.
They received me at the airport when I landed, I really didn't know that they will attend for me to the airport, but that was nice.
The only thing I didn't like was that the hotel is far from the downtown and the sea. I had to take a taxi every time I wanted to go anywhere. I tried once to arrive by walking but at the end I got lost. The streets are not friendly to recognize.
The price is very affordable; I may say it was cheap and really worthily.
The hotel has Internet all day available, however the signal is better when close to the reception.
I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed August 2013
HotelAtavai, Propietario at Atavai Pension, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for sharing your experience at Atavai with other travellers through TripAdvisor.
As you mention, the hotel is located in a very quite place, inside the only one village, Hanga Roa, but a little bit far from the sea, about 1,5 km, we are very sorry about it.
We're very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, the breakfast, the comfort of the rooms ( perfect tranquility for relaxing after a day of adventure on the island), the hotel's transfer and exquisite cuisine, ingredients and recipes that we mix for international ( french) and rapanui secrets to be a mysterious pleasure to taste during your stay.
For your next visit we recommend renting a car to be more self-sufficient and to enjoy every corner of our fantastic island especially when your stay is very short( 2 nights), and you mustn t take a taxi ever.
We thank you a lot again for your congratulations and I will pass all of them to my all family. The warmth and care of our staff is a hallmark of our small lodging which makes us unique.

We will be waiting for your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanga Roa
#5 of 84 in Easter Island
Hotel Victoria
Hotel Victoria
#15 of 34 in Hanga Roa

Been to Atavai Pension? Share your experiences!