“Wonderful Inn”

and 1 more site!
Tekarera Kainga Ora & Kainga Nui
Ranked #2 of 34 Hanga Roa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Paul is hands-down the nicest and most helpful innkeeper I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He picked us up from the airport, had breakfast on the table every morning, and was always friendly. We had a large group of ten people staying at the inn, and we were given a condo-style apartment. It was great! We had 3 bedrooms, a living room, a deck, and a kitchen. I couldn't imagine a more wonderful experience. And the view from the deck was fabulous!

There are newer reviews for Tekarera Kainga Ora & Kainga Nui

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I recently stayed at Tekarera Inn during my visit to Easter Island. Paul, the owner and guide, and Tekarera Inn were both excellent. Paul picked me up at the airport when I arrived and gave me a useful driving tour of Hanga Roa on the way to the guesthouse, pointing out restaurants and other places of interest. Throughout my stay, he was readily available to answer questions, provide information, or provide a shuttle service to restaurants or the ATM. And, he also drove me back to the airport on my day of departure.

Paul is a fantastic guide and is extremely knowledgeable about the island, its history, its culture, and, of course, the moai. My all-day tour with him was extremely informative and interesting, and I would recommend highly Paul as a guide even to those who don't stay at his lodging.

As for Tekarera Inn, it was clean, comfortable, and well-apportioned. The shower had plenty of hot water. The wi-fi was painfully slow at most times, but that's an island-wide problem, something that is not unique to Tekarera. Tekarera is located a little bit outside of town, but virtually everything in Hanga Roa can be reached within a 15 to 25 minute walk. The flip-side is that virtually everything requires at least a 10 minute walk, but if you can handle the hiking required to tour the island, you surely can handle the walking on the flat, paved roads between Tekarera and town.

I recommend Tekarera Inn as a place of lodging without hesitation and recommend Paul as a guide, whether you stay there or not, just as highly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights and everything was just perfect!
Paul was a great host.
We were picked up at the airport with a beautiful flower necklace as a welcoming gift!
Our room was spacious, clean, quiet and came with yummy breakfast!
I also loved the two doggies
who made our stay even more enjoyable!
Highly recommended! We miss you Paul!:)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

As you read this review, please keep in mind that any shortcomings I list here are due to the fact that this is a remote island where everything needs to be imported from the mainland. These problems are endemic to the island.
The proprietor, Paul, makes all the difference. He is nice, accommodating, informative, and considerate. He went to great lengths to make us happy, including sending us off with breakfast so we could catch the sunrise at a landmark. Because I am a vegetarian, he made sure there was hard boiled eggs instead of cold cuts every morning. Sure, the breakfast is limited and repetitive but it's impossible to find good produce on this island. The plumbing is capricious but it's because building materials to hard to come by.
The inn is immaculately clean and comfortable. It is very quiet and the veranda has a beautiful view of the ocean. It is an easy 15 minute walk from the center of town and a 5 minute walk to the beach with lovely moais.
My only complaint is that we only had instant coffee every morning. However, the ripe guavas lining the driveway more than made up for it.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window facing the ocean.
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Tekarera Inn is a great value and provides excellent service. During our 8 night stay Paul was always available for advice on what to do, where to shop, where to exchange money etc. He is a great resource when it comes to the island's history, archeology, and people. His business is also one-stop-shop for accomodations, tours, car rentals and other stuff. I've never had better car rental experience :-)

The place is a bit away from downtown Hanga Roa, but Paul or Julio were always there to give us a ride to town, or we used our rented bikes (not recommended at night). Watch out for storm drains in the town and carry a small flashlight for nightly escapades - street lights are few or none in some areas.

I recommend this place to anybody who wants more than a faceless hotel experience.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We spent 5 wonderful nights in Hanga Roa on Easter Island at the Tekarera Inn in the Kainga Nui house. It is a three-bedroom house with a large living room, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, dining room and large porch. Plus it is attached to the Inn with access to the porches the length of the Inn with views of the sea. It was just the two of us and we only used one of the bedrooms, one bathroom, and the living spaces, but it was nice to have the privacy and extra space. We booked ahead and had airport pick-up (thanks Julio) and drop-off at the end of our visit (thanks Paul). Although we were able to self-cater, our accommodation included breakfast and daily cleaning. We went into town for dinner each night. Breakfast included empanadas a couple of times, cold cuts, boiled eggs, bread, cereal, juice, coffee, etc. In addition, we had 2 half-day tours with Paul and a full day car rental. Everything was spot on with our prearranged plans made with Paul. The Inn is about 15 minutes walking to the main part of Hanga Roa and less than that to Tahai. We walked into town everyday and found the walk easy.

We bought our park passes at the airport as suggested for admission to Orongo and Rano Raraku (the quarry). Most of the Island is part of the Rapa Nui National Park. Our first half-day tour took us to Tahai and Orongo and the second half-day took us to Rano Raraku and Tongariki among other sites on the island. We had two great tours with lots of information and commentary of the Island’s history and where restorations are in process. We were up early on the day we rented the car for the drive to see sunrise at Tongariki! It is an outstanding site, even with the early morning shower.

Paul is a gracious host and we would not hesitate recommending his Inn or his tour services. There are lots of types of accommodation and price ranges. The Tekarera Inn is a good value and provides excellent service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Traveling to Easter Island proved to be challenging for me. I missed my flight connection to Easter Island; however, my friend made the flight. Paul was so accommodating to pick her up and tour her around for the day and then come back that night to collect me.
The place was great. VERY clean -- spotless really, which is my primary criteria. Everything was already thought out ahead of time, including emergency light and flashlight if the power went off.
The tour was not only informative but Paul has a great sense of humor so it was fun as well. He certainly knows his stuff! My only regret was that we were only there a couple days. It would have been nice to stay on a bit longer. I think what I probably liked the most about Tekarera is the intention to make you feel comfortable. My friend and I both regularly stay at 5-star hotels and we both remarked how sometimes they can make you feel uncomfortable. However, we both felt very "at home" and relaxed and thoroughly loved our visit to Easter Island.