“Awesome location, and equally nice food!”
Review of Te Moana

Te Moana
Ranked #4 of 55 Restaurants in Hanga Roa
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Te Moana is a full-service restaurant that offers Polynesian cuisine of the highest quality and hospitality characteristic of the area in a sophisticated atmosphere .
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Came here after a long walking tour in the morning, so sitting just a few steps from the ocean with the breeze blowing was a heavenly feeling. Service is nice, ambience is good and the food is very nice. They get top marks for food presentation.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was by far the best restaurant we visited in Hanga Roa. We chose to sit outside by the water as the sun was sinking into the water...talk about a romantic setting. The service was wonderful and prompt; a rarity on Easter Island. The menu boasts a wide variety of dishes that would satisfy any palate, and my oh my were we satisfied! My husband had a chicken dish with Asian and Polynesian flavors like sesame and pineapple. We both loved it and later that night he was wishing for more. I had the mahi mahi in pineapple coconut sauce over Rapa Nui mashed potatoes and vegetables. It was absolutely fantastic! Don't miss this opportunity to get a glass of wine either. I had an amazing Chilean sauvignon blanc with my fish. Fodor's says Te Moana does not serve wine by the glass and this is incorrect. At this writing, most wines were available at 5,000 Chilean Pesos per glass.
When we tried to order dessert (and this was the only negative part of our experience) the waiter informed us that they did not have the Volcano Cake or any ice cream. We then decided to order the Te Moana dessert, which they also did not have. This left us only with two choices from an otherwise impressive dessert selection. We went with the creme brulee and it was delicious.
Definitely go to Te Moana if you are planning a special dinner (maybe ask ahead about the dessert if you are having a birthday) or just want to have great food in a lovely setting. I highly recommend sitting outside at sunset.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The food and view more than made up for the slow service.I enjoyed a tuna steak cooked medium rare with a dijon mustard sauce to die for. Incredibly large portions. Even better, my lunch was accompanied by 2 Escudos (Chilean beer).

I believe the menu is the same for dinner - many choices and my wife's selection was also excellent.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

The ocean view is outstanding--any closer to the waves, surfers, and paddlers and you'd get wet.
Pisco sours are outstanding -- they cost a little more but are worth it.
All the food we ate (fish, veg, and salad) was fresh, tasty, and beautifully presented.
The ambiance is also excellent. The service can be a little slow--you will need to ask for your check because they don't want to rush you out.
Best place, I found on the Island.

1  Thank prado1122
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My wife and I went to dinner here three nights running. Can't beat the sunset view even on a cloudy day. Dinner was a little more expensive than some other places, but we thought it was worth it. Take your time and relax!