“Good Budget Hotel”
Review of Tupa Hotel

Tupa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 34 Hanga Roa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Hotel room was basic and very clean. Our room faced the gardens so we didn't have to listen to the noisy roosters that seem to gather in the courtyard. My main complaint was the noisy Italians that invaded the hotel on the last two nights we were there. Got little to no sleep those nights. There didn't seem to be anyone to complain to as you can in other hotels. We rented a car for two days and would really recommend doing that. It was fun just driving on our own and seeing the sites. The complimentary breakfast each morning was very good. All in all, we loved Easter Island and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the courtyard so as to avoid noisy roosters. It's worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank reatpete
There are newer reviews for Tupa Hotel

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I stayed at Tupa Hotel for 4 nights over Easter 2013. I had one of their cheapest rooms which was quite serviceable for my needs. I am Argentino so I've stayed in some awful rat holes over the years. But you get what you pay for. All I need is a bed and a shower when I am traveling, and if the room is clean, so much the better. Tupa Hotel fit my needs exactly. I paid $75 per night for a comfortable room overlooking a flower filled patio. There are more expensive rooms with sea views but I was only there to sleep and bathe so was not interested. The hot water wasn't exactly what you would call hot. With no cold water added the shower was warm enough for me. If you want a scalding shower you are out of luck. If you want a bath remember to bring a bath plug (universal rule in South America).

There is a television in the lounge but no one ever turned it on. In any case there are only 3 channels on Easter Island -- one local and two from mainland Chile. I wasn't there to watch television. There is WiFi in the public areas which was a little slow, but that's true of the island in general. It served my needs. It's best in off hours such as late at night or early morning when the businesses in Hanga Roa are closed.

Breakfast was the same each day, but was more than adequate -- cold cuts, sliced cheese, tomatoes, bananas, watermelon, various breads (plus toaster and sandwich toaster), cereal, and assorted pastries (which changed from day to day). Hot water is available for tea and instant coffee plus hot milk. I drink yerba mate so I had no complaints. Hot water was all I needed; I brought my own mate. The chef and breakfast waitress were abundantly friendly to me.We chatted happily every morning. It is possible this is because I am outgoing and speak Spanish. The U.S. tourists (who were in the majority) seemed more timid about chatting with the staff even though they are all fluent in English.

The rest of the staff were also friendly and helpful. Even though 12 of us checked in at once, the process was smooth and efficient. Although in the past it was cash only, they now accept most credit/debit cards. There was a minibus waiting at the airport when I arrived, and I had several choices of times to depart. No snags at all. I like to drink mate in the late afternoon and they happily supplied me a thermos of hot water in my room when I asked for it.

The hotel is located slightly out of town on a promontory overlooking the Pacific. There is a patio overlooking the sea outside the lounge. It's an easy walk to the main street -- two blocks on a dirt road. It's about five blocks from the marina -- partly dirt road and partly paved. The bank with ATM is midway between the hotel and the marina, and there are many excellent restaurants along the way. Be warned, though. The dirt roads are pitch black at night and are rutted and stony. I always travel with a flashlight, but no one else there had one, and on the first night there were a few casualties.

All in all a good experience. Not the Hilton, or even Motel 6, but good value for money. Perfectly clean and comfortable for my tastes.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank 312741Juan3939
Reviewed 25 March 2013

While lodging is relatively expensive on Easter Island, and while there are definitely more and larger insects there than many other places, the Tupa Hotel is run-down and poorly managed. My initial impression was excellent, based on the quick response time and friendly message from reception when I booked, and throughout my stay the receptionists and guides/transfer staff were great but I cannot say the same for the 'manager' who seems to be someone's girlfriend and/or the most demanding guest in the hotel. She is openly rude to the staff and guests. More than once I had to wait >5 minutes for her to finish (rudely) talking to the receptionist while I waited to ask a question, and none of it was urgent. I stay in a lot of budget places and am used to all sorts of conditions, but the disrespect the manager showed her staff and guests really rubbed me the wrong way.

The hotel is terribly in need of repair, re-carpeting and some serious pest control. The staff will tell you that you'll have the same number of roaches in a $1000/night room but one night I had 5 crawling the floors of my room at once, and another two on their backs and dying by my bathroom door.

The room doors don't all lock properly and the sliding glass doors wouldn't even shut in my room. I travel with a lot of camera gear, and am a woman traveling alone, so this concerned me a bit, and on the first night I dug all of the rocks out that were keeping it from shutting, and finally managed to lock it. The next day housekeeping had opened it again and left it unlocked, and I couldn't get it shut again.

I was right next to a room filled with junk - old furniture, printers, stuff just piled everywhere, which I suspect was one of the reasons that my room seemed to have a lot more roaches than others. On my final night they finally moved me to a new room where there was only one roach the entire night. Quite a welcome relief. I appreciated the gesture, but it was too little too late and again only due to the excellent reception staff.

For breakfast, be there at 8:00 or be prepared for a very limited selection. All of the breakfast food is put out at once, and it isn't refilled. I suspect again that this is a stinginess issue on the part of management since when I'd come late the cook was very nice and apologetic, but totally out of food. The restaurant/bar area seems to go entirely unused, which is probably a good thing given the roach infestation.

To the point that the staff made about roaches being everywhere on the island, I should point out that I saw many of them around the island, but the Tupa Hotel was the only sleeping/dining establishment where I saw any trace of them. There are always at least a couple in the hallways.
The hot water is also very poor/unreliable and yes, I read the signs that said to let it run for several minutes, but when I would, and the water would get scalding hot, even the tiniest turn of the cold water dial would take it to freezing in about 45 seconds. So, I took a lot of cold showers, apart from the day when the water was out entirely.

As I said, they moved me to a different room my final night, which was an ocean view room, and while I appreciate the gesture I am glad that I didn't pay for it, as it was also in very poor repair.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are better than the others, but I would still choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank onimity
tupahotel, Director of Sales at Tupa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate hearing from our guests about their stay so as to improve our services for future visitors.

First, I apologize you had to wait more than 5 minutes to be attended at the front desk. We are not heavily staffed, and at times our receptionists need to attend to more than one thing at a time. I am unsure of who you are referring to as the "demanding guest" and, unless you speak Spanish, I am not sure how you would know if what was being said was rude. At times we do have demanding guests and our staff tries to deal with them as calmly as possible. I'll inform the staff about this event so that they can avoid it in the future. Like in any business, our management is expected to act in a professional manner on and off the job. If you did witness a dispute between our staff, I apologize for this. You should know that we greatly value our staff. In fact, we pay our cleaning staff one of the highest wages on the island because we value their great work. You will notice that we have received many reviews that highlight the cleanliness of our rooms.

I am sorry you had such an bad experience with the roaches on the island. Many guide books, visitor comments, and website about the island talk about the many pests on the here. The amount of roaches that you saw, however, may have been increased by the fact that on several occasion you took breakfast food back into your room and left it sitting out all day. Our cleaning staff reported seeing this on several occasions. Cakes and other sweets that are served at breakfast will attract roaches if left in a passenger's room for a long period of time. We have signs in the dinning room informing our guests that it is prohibited to take breakfast food items out of the dinning room specifically for this reason. This is a standard policy in all hotels on the island, and future passengers should be informed.

After reading this review, we inspected the room you were in and found the latches working normally. If you would have informed us of any issues with the locks we would have fixed them immediately. The hotel was fully booked during your trip, and you were provided the low-price Budget room that had reserved. Once there was an opening, the Manager (perhaps the same demanding person you mentioned) provided you with a free upgrade.

On our breakfast buffet we normally provide the following when resources on the island permit: ham, cheese, vegetables (2 types), variety of cakes, variety of bread, coffee, tea, milk, fruit juice, cereal, and oatmeal. To some this spread may be a "limited selection" but most tourists quickly realize the limited resources on our little island, and are ok with it. In order to provide a larger breakfast selection, we would have to increase the prices of our room, which would ultimately eliminate the type or room you stayed in. We believe that the selection we have is fair for the type of hotel that we have. Our breakfast does promptly close at 10am in order to allow the staff to clean the dinning room as well as the rooms. I am surprised to hear that you did not have enough food, and will alert the staff about this, but I find your comment somewhat disrespectful in calling our manager "stingy" without even understanding the circumstances.

Finally, I am happy to report that we have invested a great deal in implementing a better, safer, fumigation procedure as well as a set of new solar panels that increase the amount of hot water sent to all our rooms. These solar panels will generate the majority of the heating needed for our hot water systems, and will greatly reduce the amount of natural gas required. This will help to resolve the hot water issue that you may have been having, while providing a more sustainable energy solution for our island. Regardless, we always ask guests to alert us if there are ever any problems in their room so that we can fix it promptly.

I hope this response resolves some of the issues that you had during your stay and gives you a better insight into the harsh realities of running a small family hotel on one of the most remote islands in the world.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We had been optimistic that previous reviewers complaining of building works would mean that the renovations would be complete by the time of our arrival. Wrong! The work that had been completed was low budget.

Room security amounted to placing a screw through two holes in the patio door!

There was no facility to make or chill drinks in the room and there was no bar or vending machine available in the hotel. A trip to the supermarket is a necessity but there is still a challenge to keeping things cool. Only food available is breakfast - which is limited.

Location is unbelievable - we could see the Moai from our room and it was a short walk into town where there were a range of bars and restaurants.

Hotel will pick you up from the airport and will sort car hire efficiently.

Basic but cheap for the island.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms, in what looks like a new basic block, which may be better!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is what I expected. Basic and clean. Key to note here is that everything is expensive in Easter Island and you should calibrate your expectations accordingly.

The room is basic yet very clean. No airconditoning. I was a bit worried at first but that was dissipated when the weather was cooler upon sunset.

Walls are paper thin. So bring earplugs. I can hear the couple next door "doing their business", children crying, etc. however I invested in a pair of Bose ear canceling ear plugs so I was fine.

Water pressure and temperature were ok for me.

The bad part about my stay is the greeter and the driver. Pickup from the airport was included as part of my stay.

My flight was delayed but I promptly emailed the hotel about it. They promptly received me.

I was waiting in a bench, thinking we are waiting for the other guests from the same flight. More than 30 minutes later I asked the greeter what we were waiting for as the airport is empty!!!! Guess what. I was told they sent the other guests first!!!

I was astounded. I was so tired from my flight and I didn't realize I was treated like a second class guest by being left behind! When I complained he just said "Relax, you are on vacation!" In a very condescending tone. And he said that I shouldn't make his life hard as he worked all day!!! It's as if I Am doing him a favor.

After another 15 minutes, total
Of 45 minutes now, the car arrived. When I complained to the driver why it took so long, he said, why are you complaining this is a free service! Excuse me, this is an included service and NOT a free service! I am a paying guest. He even reprimanded me by saying did I complain to the pilot if my flight was delayed? If not why am I complaining that he was late!!!!

He even LIED saying it is a long trip from the airport to the hotel that's why it took him so long to come back. I told him I don't care as if it takes long they should have told us and I would have taken a cab. I spent thousands of dollars for this trip and the USD 10-20 transfer wouldn't cause a dent!

What was the lie!?!?! The hotel was all of 3 minutes from the airport!!! What took him long? No one knows!

I was told later from the reception that probably they took the first batch on a city tour before picking us up again!!! What!?!?! What kind of common sense is that?

And by the way. They charge for late checkout even if they don't have common showers for a late flight. I think they should either install a common shower or if room is available, let guests use it for free just for the shower. It makes me feel very ripped off.

Too bad. They present a good value proposition. The reception staff and cleaners are friendly. However just like any service experience, a very bad experience, in this case a record-breaking one, ruins it all.

But this doesn't ruin my Easter Island experience. They're too insignificant for that!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank bankergirl1016
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I was very pleased with Tupa Hotel. I value great customer service above all else and the staff at Tupa Hotel excelled in this category. They speak fluent English which was a plus as my Spanish is limited. The staff was also very responsive via email while I was planning my trip. This made for making arrangements and answering questions very easy.

I was pleasantly surprised to find I could rent a vehicle directly through Tupa Hotel. One more detail I did not have to go elsewhere to arrange.

The hotel staff also proactively notified me that my flight from Easter Island had been delayed. Tupa Hotel was aware of this even before the airline notified me. Plus, even though I had already checked out of my room, management at Tupa Hotel allowed me to rest in my room until my flight was due to leave. They did not have the room booked that evening, so allowing me to rest there was very welcomed as my flight was very late at night.

The hotel includes a very nice breakfast which was welcome and convenient as its quite expensive to eat out on the island. It also allowed me to get a quicker start in the morning not having to go out for breakfast.

They provide free Internet access but at times it was rather slow and on occasion unusable. However not surprising considering the remoteness of the island.

The rooms do not have air conditioning or ceiling fans; however, simply taking a cool shower in the evening was enough to make for a reasonably comfortable sleep.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I agree with what people have said, the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds and floors were clean. The rooms need updating and security seems to be an issue at night. We were told to lock our door to the outside, making for no fresh air in the room at night. We figured out a way to secure the screen so we could have fresh air. I think this should be a pretty easy fix for the hotel using local supplies. It is an old hotel, but that is part of the fun! Laundry service would also be a great addition, that would be charged for and support itself. Thank you!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple