“Nice & comfortable”
Review of Tupa Hotel

Tupa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 34 Hanga Roa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2013

stayed in this hotel with my friends for 4 nights, rooms are ok and tidy, reasonably maintained. Towels and bed linen changed regularly. Only issue is breakfast which is very very limited in variety.
Overall impression is positive. Good value for money. Would recommend as a place to stay.
They also provide cars for rent and are very very helpful in tours arraignments.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I've been very satisfied with my stay in this hotel.
The hotel is located near the main attractions of Hanga Roa, that include the ocean road, a couple of ahu sites and the main restaurants.
The rooms are clean and spacious and the breakfast is very plentiful with fruit, bread, ham, cheese, cakes, juices, etc.
At the reception there is always a girl that changes every day (I think they are three in total). I've been very satisfied with the one that I met the evening that I arrived at the hotel because she helped me a lot booking the excursions for the successive days.
They offer also free wifi in the lobby that actually is always very slow.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The Tupa Hotel is a family-run hotel that provides clean rooms, a meal, transportation to and from the airport, and information on anything you need while in Rapa Nui. We booked the hotel far enough in advance to follow up with further emails to insure our rooms were confirmed and they were. We were met at the airport very pleasantly, informed regarding luggage, waits and passengers. My bed was large and comfortable, clean and well attended. There was enough hot water for my needs, and breakfast was fine, as with all small hotels of this type--worldwide--the variety is limited to the locale, which is as it should be. When I wanted eggs, I found them being prepared at the local art and farmers market, which was great! Personally, I loved the fact that I was being fed every morning with fresh guava juice, a variety of meats and cheese, fruits and an instant coffee that was actually tasty and very different from the horrible American variety. On an island at the "edge of the world" for this trip I didn't come to live in a hotel, nor did I arrive full of North American expectations and demands. I came to explore the cultural music and island of the Rapa Nui, and made sure there was a good roof over my head and a bed to sleep in! The Tupa Hotel staff and management went beyond the norm to make our stay a good one, and our time on Rapa Nui well spent. I will be forever grateful that they went out of their way to assist us with our journey. I like to journey into foreign places with the idea that I'm visiting someone's home. The Tupa Hotel is a home I would certainly go back to, and recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the best for breezes.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank E H
Reviewed 20 July 2013

It is a rather simple accomodation though staf is friendly and helpful. The first room that we were given was simple but nice - ground floor with a balcony door leading to a nice lawn. It is nice to stay there if you are a solo traveler but if not, you might experience some discomfort because there is not any kind of door\separition to the bathroom.
The second room that we got was run down ( in the main building) BUT it had normal bathroom and a big terrace from which you could actually see the ocean. Well, the fact that it was not luxerious was soon accepted especially since you do not spend much time inside when on Easter Island.
The real challenge was absence of air condition - one day it got really hot so we had to 'escape' the day's heat in the car and swimming at Anakena beach

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We had booked this hotel from Expedia and shortly after they emailed us to know which flight we were on. Upon arrival in Hanga Roa Airport, the shuttle was waiting for us and being in low season, we all were upgraded to rooms with view of the sea.
The hotel has no pool. There is no air conditioning, but the fan is provided. We were in winter and did not need A/C but that is probably different in summer.
They accept credit card, but charge 3% more in that case. The shower does not have balanced fawcetts, so you always shift from hot to cold water. The breakfast as instant coffee and no eggs and no service. Rooms were clean, but the bath needed silicone caulking all around.
Service was excellent by hotel staff both at the desk and for cleanning. We had a ant infestation in the bathroom, but they took care of it immediately, offering to change room, which we did not need. We booked a full day tour with them and a car rental and were pleased with their service (car was new).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I booked, confirmed the reservations 3 days before arrival and when my friends and I got to Easter Island it was hell. We had to beg for shuttle, since the guy didn´t have our names and when we finally got to the hotel front desk they said we cancelled the reservation and there´s nothing for them to do since there were no vacancy.
And even after they found the reservations - and our confirmations - they did´t say sorry or anything. They just didn't care.
A despicable hotel and a [--] service.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank SoniaLim
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Hotel room was basic and very clean. Our room faced the gardens so we didn't have to listen to the noisy roosters that seem to gather in the courtyard. My main complaint was the noisy Italians that invaded the hotel on the last two nights we were there. Got little to no sleep those nights. There didn't seem to be anyone to complain to as you can in other hotels. We rented a car for two days and would really recommend doing that. It was fun just driving on our own and seeing the sites. The complimentary breakfast each morning was very good. All in all, we loved Easter Island and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the courtyard so as to avoid noisy roosters. It's worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family