“We got lucky and ran into James on the Island. Don’t trust luck-book a trip with James in advance.”

Easter Island Spirit Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 18 Tours in Hanga Roa
More attraction details
Owner description: Island-based tour company with 12 years of experience organizing tours of this magical island. Specialists in Private tours, we offer a wide array of stunning and informative tours and hikes, tailor-made to the individual interests and wishes of each of our clients. All of our tours are timed to avoid the large groups and tour buses.
Marietta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We got lucky and ran into James on the Island. Don’t trust luck—book a trip with James in advance.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

I was sitting on a rock at Rano Raraku taking in the stunning scenery and reading my guide book—“A Companion to Easter Island” when a guide walked by with two tourist. I had to do a double take—the “guide” was actually the author of my guidebook! He asked me if I was enjoying the book and I couldn’t believe my luck. We chatted for a few minutes and I quickly realized that the only thing better than the guide book (which is a must buy) would be to have the author of the book guide us on a walking tour. Luckily, James had an opening in his schedule in a few days and we booked a day long hiking trip along the North Coast. My husband and I wanted to do this long hike but we were a little intimidated about going by ourselves and missing all the cool ruins and hidden treasures that the hike had to offer.

We started out early to avoid the heat of the day and took a leisurely pace stopping along the way to view some Moai and Ahu. We also saw some super cool caves with carvings. There is no way we would have been able to find these sites without James as many of them are over grown with bushes or hidden by rocks. The rugged North Coast was absolutely amazing and very few tourists make this hike. It felt like it was our own private island for the day! We stopped for a snack and to enjoy the gorgeous coast and crashing waves. James knowledge of the island is exceptional and he is happy to answer any and all questions. We ended the hike at Anakena which is a gorgeous white beach on the north end of the island. It was a perfect place to take a swim and relax after the trek.

If you want to see the island in an authentic way, I would highly recommend that you contact James for a very unique “insiders” experience. He can customize a tour that is just right for you—active or chill. He can provide information from a historical perspective as well as from a current day locals perspective—James will not disappoint.

Visited April 2012

Sharon, Massachusetts
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“James was a key part of what made our Easter Island trip amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

James enthusiasm for Easter Island, it's history and the preservation of its sites really shows.
When I made the decision to visit Easter Island I searched everywhere for a good guidebook to help with my planning. Most of the information out there comes from one chapter at the end of a Chile guide and was not useful. That's when I came across Jame's guide "A Companion to Easter Island". It provided the history of the island, descriptions of the different sites with advice on the best times to see them, and suggestions on what to do in Hanga Roa. I was so impressed with his knowledge that I wrote and asked him to be our guide for a day.
During our full day tour we looped the island where he showed us the major Moai sites. James was very informative, able to answer our questions and even kept my 6 year old son engaged. At the end he showed us around town and also provided us an itiniary for the following day that we could do on our own.
Easter Island sites lack the tourist infrastructure of other destinations which adds to the atmosphere. That being said, if you are making the investment to get out there it is one of those places where tour guide is useful to get the most out of the experience. James definitely added to our experience and I am happy to recommend him to others.

Visited August 2012