Open today: 08:00 - 18:00
Review Highlights
Good tour agency

In low season we found this as the only company doing group tours. Full day tour was interesting... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
zuppiat
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
via mobile
Very flexible and reliable agency

Our cruise ship arrived on Oct 3 instead of Oct2 for which day the booking of a car had been... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed 17 October 2018
aon913523553

Recommended experiences in and around Hanga Roa
More Info
All reviews full day tour rano raraku anakena beach magical place rapa nui easter island tour company rodrigo stops driver han information highlights language trek sites questions
Reviewed 12 November 2017

All-day tour of Rana Roku, Ahu Tongariki and Anakena beach with lunch (CLP35000, does not include National Park ticket, I paid with cash) on Easter Sunday 2017.

I don’t normally do guided tours, but since I don’t drive, it was either this or risk life, limb and muscles on a mountain bike. In hindsight, I definitely made the right choice. I asked my hotel to book an all-day tour, and Mahinatur seemed to be the only one to have Sunday tours. Pick-up from the hotel was at 09:30 (they were a little late, as they picked up people from different hotels across town). The guide was Hanga Rao (as he explained it – like the name of the town, but with a slightly different ending), and Raul was the driver. All commentary was in Spanish and English.

Hanga Rao’s knowledge of the island and its people was impressive, and it was apparent that he was genuinely passionate about them and his job. He made an effort to interact with everyone on the tour, and to keep us entertained.

The tour was well paced, and we had plenty of time to spend at Rana Roku, Ahu Tongariki and Anakena beach. The tour group is brought back into Hanga Roa for lunch after the first two stops – they could probably cover another point between Ahu Tongariki and Anakena if they didn’t come back into town, but that’s just a minor observation. We also had just over an hour at the beach, although only a few people chose to go into the water.

I hadn’t realised lunch was included, and it turned out to be pretty filling – chicken noodle soup (from powdered soup, I think), plated salad (tomato and cucumbers), plain rice with a piece of grilled spiced chicken (it was a big piece; I’m not sure whether seconds were allowed), and a local banana.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Mahinatur’s all-day tour - it was very informative, fun, well-paced, and good value for money. Hanga Rao was a great tour guide, and you should try and get him for your tour.

Date of experience: April 2017
14  Thank SidMehlwal
MahinaturCM, Social Media Manager at Mahinatur, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Hi, SidMehlwal, we are deeply thankful for your thorough review of your full-day excursion with our operator. We are really glad to read that you feel you made a good decision about going on a guided tour. Easter Island is a small place but it is full of hidden spots, details and history that may go unnoticed if you plan to go around by yourself.

We'll let Hanga Rau know you wrote about your experience and recommendation; he'll feel proud of himself since he is one of the youngest guides in our company.

Thanks a lot again for your review, rating and recommendations, iorana!

Reviewed 19 August 2017

I went on their Full day tour which included the highlights such as Rano Raraku, Ahu Tonkariki (15 Moai statues standing in a row) and the Anakena Beach. The guide my group had was very knowledgeable and I never got tired listen to the stories of the island she told. Also, she didn't hesitate to tell the stories in English despite I was the only person in the group of around 10 people that prefer English (other were Spanish speaking).

One thing that could be improved was the time we got to spend at the Anakena Beach (the last stop of the tour). We were there only for 45 minutes or so. But there was really not enough time to take a quick swim in the sea, since most of the time was spent explaining the Moai site at the beach. Another half an hour would be perfect!

Date of experience: July 2017
MahinaturCM, Social Media Manager at Mahinatur, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Hi Kevin! We are really glad to read you enjoyed your full-day tour with us. It is of utter importance everybody feels comfortable and learns about the history of the Island. In that respect, our excursions are mainly archaeological, focusing on the statues, platforms, and petroglyphs. We understand our guests are delighted by the wonderful Anakena beach, and we would love you could spend more time over here to enjoy such an amazing paradise.
Thanks for your comments, we hope you come back and talk to your friends about us.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

I did a full day tour and two half day tours - one morning and one afternoon.

All the guides were knowledgeable and the drivers as well as the guides very personable. Their English was excellent. On the full day tour the driver had a ukulele and the guide played and he and the driver sang between stops. Excellent.

The three tours I took covered most of the island and its key sites, and all three fit together well.

I found the tour company (whose office is in the middle of the main street) very professional and would recommend them highly.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

I went on several excursions with Roberto and Robert and one with Sebastián, all three excellent people, with an outstanding knowledge about the island and its people. I totally recommend going out with them.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank Eduardo H
OscarFeik, Sales Executive at Mahinatur, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Thank you, Eduardo. We appreciate your recommendation, it makes our company, guides and drivers feel proud. We hope you tell others about Mahinatur when they visit Rapa Nui. Cheers!

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

We are staying at the hotel hangaroa eco village and spa. In the all included package the excursions are free and organised by the in house manager. They use Mahinatur services with driver and english speaking guide. You can do one or two trips a day. Around tree hours each time. The same guide is with you every day. Very knowledgeable and informative. The guide is usualy from the rapa nui culture. Very nice experience.

Date of experience: May 2017
OscarFeik, Sales executive at Mahinatur, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

We are glad to read you had a wonderful experience with our tours. Our guides are very knowledgeable since they are locals, and that's why they know even more than what you can find in books.

Share your tour pictures and experience in our Facebook Fan Page, Mahinatur Tour Operator or using @mahinatur, and keep in touch with the Island through our Instagram account @Mahinatur