“Wonderful friendly helpful!!”
Review of Taura'a Hotel

Taura'a Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The family running this hotel and tours are very friendly, helpful, lovely people especially Rube who went completely above and beyond her duty to ensure I had a wonderful stay on Rapa Nui/Easter Island (thanks ever so much Rube for everything you and your son did for me, you really are a star!!!). I had a lovely dinner and evening with staff and guests. They organised two great day tours to various places all over the island with tour leaders Ian and China who were very knowledge about the areas, sites and history. I also went to a wonderful cultural dance show. I can't praise them enough and would totally recommend you stay here for a very special visit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Sarah T
There are newer reviews for Taura'a Hotel

Reviewed 30 September 2011

I had the privilege of staying here for a couple of days in May this year. While a trip to Rapa Nui/Easter Island is a trip of a lifetime for most of us, Edith & Bill made my stay beyond the extraordinary!

The experience of Hotel Taura'a started before I even arrived. Communication via e-mail with Edith was exceptionally helpful and informative. Via our short exchange she made me immediately comfortable and I had my entire stay sorted out.

When I arrived, Bill picked me up at the airport and I was checking in quickly. I was greeted with a glass of delicious fresh fruit juice. Bill & Edith checked me in and got me comfortable. Edith enlightened me to the history of the island and local traditions, and Bill’s insights of the Moai encyclopedic.

My room was large and comfortable. While it was not luxurious, all elements were well thought out. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom well designed. The room had a refrigerator which was handy for beverages and fruit.

Breakfast was remarkably fresh and highlighted local produce. Each day I was there, it was satisfying and very tasty.

The Hotel was conveniently located and in close proximity to restaurants and the airport.
The Hotel Taura'a may appear to be a 3 to 4 star accommodation, but the experience of staying there was 10 star! It is a family run place operated by people who really care about your experience and having a good time visiting Rapa Nui. With their focus on hospitality, you will definitely have a great time making the Taura'a your hotel in Hanga Roa and your gateway to great adventure. My stay there was truly memorable.

Room Tip: Organize everything via e-mail. They are very helpful!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Blythesville
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stayed 4 nights in the hotel. More than a hotel is like staying in a family house. The owner and her sister do everything in their hands to make you feel great and to provide you All the necessary to enjoy and discover this wonderful and amazing island. Rooms are very espacious with a nice veranda to rest and read a book although they could be refurnished a bit. Breakfasts are very good and they vary them everyday. The fruit juice is specially good. We also hire with the hotel a day tour to the island which was really interesting and necessary to understand the history and have a first idea of the moais. Then you can explore it by yourself. We spent an unforgettable 5 days in the hotel and in amazing rapa nui.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We booked our stay at Taura'a based on the many positive reviews. We were greeted promptly and with affection at the airport, with bougainvillea lei's and given a quick orientation tour around town. The family was very attentive, and there was even Champagne and glasses and flowers in our room as Edith had picked up that we were coming for our anniversary. We had a wonderful time horseback riding and motorcycle exploring around this unique community. Everyone made us feel very welcome. When the internet was down and the ATMs would accept our credit card, everyone we worked with just offered to put their tab on our hotel bill and work it out with us through Taura'a. Although this was not necessary, it was a unique community of trust, and of wanting our visit to be happy. Yes, happiness seemed to be the goal and it was definitely achieved. We whole heartedly recommend Taura'a Hotel.

Room Tip: Bring your Pesos with you. Banking and getting cash is difficult. Buy your National Park pass when...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne O
Reviewed 29 August 2011

This hotel was perfect for our family of 4. There was plenty of space for us (we have two teens) and the owners and staff very helpful. We went and bought groceries and had a picnic in the covered seating area and were given plates, napkins, etc.. and she even cut up our avacado. We enjoyed this hotel very much and had no problems with hot showers! I would reccommend this hotel and the tours they arrange for you. They are both fantastic!

Room Tip: The rooms that back the main road are the most noisy, but we had no problems sleeping.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We were billed $30 more per night than our reservations were made for. We showed our booking reservation but it was not acknowledge.

The original deposit that was made during the booking was never applied, but instead a new deposit was charged. We booked the hotel 2-3 months in advanced so we did not realize it at that time until we got home and checked our credit card statements.

There was no hot water. I am sorry but 30 to 60 seconds of hot water does not count as a hot shower.

We were overcharged extra $10 per day on our car rental than what we were originally quoted.

We had ant colony on the wall that our bed was against.

The only good thing about this place was the breakfast and a clean room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PATRICIUS
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I was lucky enough to fulfil one of my lifelong dreams and visit Rapa Nui, the home of the famous Moaii. The island itself is without doubt one of the most mystical and wonderous places I have had the good fortune to visit. Its rugged natural beauty, combined with its archaeological masterpieces, and welcoming hospitality make it an absolute must on anyones travel agenda. I wont go into too much detail on the island itself. JUST GO THERE!
We stayed at hotel Taura'a which I must admit was a fantastic place to stay. There were two of us adults and three kids and we stayed in one of the family rooms. The accommodation itself was spotlessly clean with simple yet practical furnishings. The room was of ample size which is really important when a whole family is sharing one room for a week. Overall the lodgings were of a very high standard.
More importantly though was the hospitality of the good people who run Taura'a. I would have to say that Edith, Bill and Ruby went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. These people really make you feel like you are friends visiting from far away. Also since they are local Rapa Nui (Edith is descended from the line of the Ariki) they are a font of knowledge about the history of the island. All the staff speak good English which was very important for us as my Spanish is woeful to say the least! Edith's husband Bill is an Australian and a certified "good bloke". Very helpful and also very knowledgeable about the islands past. I spent quite a bit of time chatting to Bill and Ruby and they were more than happy to pass the time answering my myriad of questions. It was no imposition to them at all.
Onto more practical matters and the help that they gave us, considering the cumbersome size of my family, made for a stress free and relaxing holiday. They seemed almost intuitive to our needs and this took a huge weight off my shoulders. For example: we mentioned in passing we might want to go on a tour of the island. Next thing I know one is organised for us without me having to lift a finger. Similarly with regards to a hire car. I mentioned it in passing and then miraculously one turns up and Bill hands me the keys. I didn't need to fill out any paperwork whatsoever! The list goes on. It is these little things that made our life so much easier and made our stay hassle free. But here is the clincher. I was debating before I left whether to bring my surfboard. I stupidly decided not to due to the the size of our baggage train but when we arrived the surf was 4-6ft and pumping. I was cursing myself for my stupidity and for the first two days scoured the town looking for a board to rent. At that time of year all the rental shops were shut so I couldn't find one. However, Ruby took pity on me and lent me her sons board for the remainder of the stay. I then surfed everyday for the rest of our time there. This really put the icing on the cake for me and I will be forever grateful for Ruby's kindness.
Overall, the owners and staff of Taura'a are good decent people and it shows. They bent over backwards to help us out and their kindness will not soon be forgotten. I cannot speak highly enough of Edith Bill and Ruby and if I went back to Rapa Nui I would not stay anywhere else.

P.S. Ruby makes a fantastic breakfast!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive
explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive
#1 of 24 in Easter Island
Tea Nui - Cabanas y Habitaciones

Been to Taura'a Hotel? Share your experiences!