“Engaging and friendly character”
Review of Taura'a Hotel

Taura'a Hotel
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We actually did not stay at Taura´s Hotel but whilst waiting in reception for a tour that we had booked we were shown the most amazing hospitality by Rube. She knew instinctively that we needed coffee!! She also invited us to return for breakfast the next day as she was aware that our accommodation did not offer breakfast. This was one of the most thoughtful and generous gestures we have encountered whilst travelling. The gardens, location and amenities of Taura´s were equal to any on Easter Island. The location and especially the warm and engaging smiles from Rube were a standout. If we were to be lucky enough to return to Rapa Nui we would want to stay at this hotel. Best coffee in town....thanks Rube!

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank galstravels

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Although Edith and Bill were away from the island during our visit, Rube, Irene and other members of their family welcomed and cared for us with singular warmth and hospitality. As other reviewers noted, the rooms at the Taura'a were tidy, comfortable and always clean; the home-cooked breakfasts, with French-press coffee, were varied and delicious; and Rube answered our innumerable questions about Easter Island with unfailing patience and humor. We fell in love with Rube, Irene and the Taura'a.

Room Tip: Our room was away from the main road and, therefore, perhaps quieter than those nearer to the road.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cinghiale
Reviewed 19 October 2011

From the moment of the airport pick-up, to fresh juice upon arrival at Taura'a, this was the most pleasant stay I've had in years. Edith's whole family is wonderful, and those breakfasts were delicious! Even the fact that they also run Island tours was easy -- it meant a leisurely breakfast before joining others at the van at the last minute. What a wonderful experience. (Hot water in the shower was a little spotty, but it was fine.)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael F
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Staying at Taura'a Hotel feels a bit like visiting a friend's summer cottage - except that the friendly staff take care of all the house-keeping duties! Our room was large and comfortable, there was enough space to unpack and put things away and a place to sit outside and enjoy the garden. Hot water seemed to be available at any time of the day or night and we took advantage of the fresh fruit - usually those tiny, lemon flavoured bananas - that appeared every day in our room. The generous breakfasts kept us going for most of the day though there were cafe's and restaurants close by for meals, snacks and take-out sandwiches.

We took both of the tours offered through the hotel and were fascinated by the (often tragic) history of the island provided by our guide who was extremely well-informed - but also very entertaining. The tours took up most of the day - but the "programme" was very well thought out and the time flew by. On our "non-tour" days we went on long hikes by ourselves up Mauna Terevaka and around Poike to the far Eastern end of the Island - both of which were wonderful experiences, thanks to the breathtaking views and for the peace and tranquility we found there.

The other the main benefit offered by the Island and its people, is overwhelming friendliness. Every request was filled immediately, every question answered with care and in great detail. Hotel staff gave us gentle suggestions of things we might be interested in (the folklorico concert in the town, the Sunday service at the church) all of which turned out to be "not-to-be-missed" occasions; someone in the cafe gave us detailed instructions on the best route up Terevaka; the taxi-driver insisted we borrow his map as it was better than ours.

Visiting Easter Island was my idea and , my husband was rather dubious - but completely changed his mind. Both of us now look on our time on Easter Island/Rapa Nui/Isla de Pascua, and our stay at Taura'a Hotel as one of our best holidays ever.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ellinor W
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The family running this hotel and tours are very friendly, helpful, lovely people especially Rube who went completely above and beyond her duty to ensure I had a wonderful stay on Rapa Nui/Easter Island (thanks ever so much Rube for everything you and your son did for me, you really are a star!!!). I had a lovely dinner and evening with staff and guests. They organised two great day tours to various places all over the island with tour leaders Ian and China who were very knowledge about the areas, sites and history. I also went to a wonderful cultural dance show. I can't praise them enough and would totally recommend you stay here for a very special visit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I had the privilege of staying here for a couple of days in May this year. While a trip to Rapa Nui/Easter Island is a trip of a lifetime for most of us, Edith & Bill made my stay beyond the extraordinary!

The experience of Hotel Taura'a started before I even arrived. Communication via e-mail with Edith was exceptionally helpful and informative. Via our short exchange she made me immediately comfortable and I had my entire stay sorted out.

When I arrived, Bill picked me up at the airport and I was checking in quickly. I was greeted with a glass of delicious fresh fruit juice. Bill & Edith checked me in and got me comfortable. Edith enlightened me to the history of the island and local traditions, and Bill’s insights of the Moai encyclopedic.

My room was large and comfortable. While it was not luxurious, all elements were well thought out. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom well designed. The room had a refrigerator which was handy for beverages and fruit.

Breakfast was remarkably fresh and highlighted local produce. Each day I was there, it was satisfying and very tasty.

The Hotel was conveniently located and in close proximity to restaurants and the airport.
The Hotel Taura'a may appear to be a 3 to 4 star accommodation, but the experience of staying there was 10 star! It is a family run place operated by people who really care about your experience and having a good time visiting Rapa Nui. With their focus on hospitality, you will definitely have a great time making the Taura'a your hotel in Hanga Roa and your gateway to great adventure. My stay there was truly memorable.

Room Tip: Organize everything via e-mail. They are very helpful!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Blythesville
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stayed 4 nights in the hotel. More than a hotel is like staying in a family house. The owner and her sister do everything in their hands to make you feel great and to provide you All the necessary to enjoy and discover this wonderful and amazing island. Rooms are very espacious with a nice veranda to rest and read a book although they could be refurnished a bit. Breakfasts are very good and they vary them everyday. The fruit juice is specially good. We also hire with the hotel a day tour to the island which was really interesting and necessary to understand the history and have a first idea of the moais. Then you can explore it by yourself. We spent an unforgettable 5 days in the hotel and in amazing rapa nui.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
#3 of 16 in Hanga Roa
explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive
explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive
#1 of 24 in Easter Island

Been to Taura'a Hotel? Share your experiences!