“Totally Sweet! Best find on Easter Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taura'a Hotel

Taura'a Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Arizona
“Totally Sweet! Best find on Easter Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

We, like many, chose Tauraa Hotel based upon the terrific reviews on TripAdvisor. It proved to be a wonderful choice.

Upon arrival we were warmly greeted at the airport late night by Edith's sister. She was very nice and cheery. After a short ride to the hotel, we were shown to our room, which was room number 4. It is in the back of the hotel, more private and quiet than the rooms up front. We loved it! Room number 3 would also be a good choice and located in the back. There was still a little road noise and in the morning count on the roosters to wake you up. If you are a light sleeper, earplugs would be helpful.

Our room was spotless everyday and had everything we needed. If there is something you need all you have to do it ask. We found everyone on Edith's staff to be friendly
and helpful.

Breakfast was awesome! We had great fresh fruits, home-made rolls, freshly made juice,
fluffy pancakes and more.

We booked a car through Edith, the owner of Tauraa, prior to our arrival. It was there waiting for us early the next morning. We found it easier to rent a car, see the entire island from sunrise to sunset at our own pace rather than take separate tours. It was easy to navigate around town, If you get lost, the locals will help you out with directions. Edith was great about telling us the spots we absolutely should not miss.

We met many other people on the island who stayed at other small hotels and they were
disappointed with their accommodations. We were elated that we chose to stay at Tauraa.

Lunch at Cafe Ra'a is highly recommended. They also have great coffee and pastries. There are a lot of nice places to go for dinner. We chose several places on the waterfront. They were all really good. If you need a recommendation, ask Edith or her husband Bill. They know the best and most reasonable places to eat.

We had no problems with billing upon checking out. Edith let us know that a tip was optional. We definitely chose to pay it, as they all work so hard to make Tauraa what it is.
Exceptional!!! They all certainly deserve it.!

Overall, if you want a nice, clean, reasonably priced hotel with a friendly staff, good service and a great breakfast, stay at Tauraa. If you want to be pampered, have someone serve you three meals a day, feel the need to be connected to the internet on a daily basis, then this is not the place for you. However, we found Tauraa Hotel to be just the right place for us.

1 Thank ArizonaKitty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Oregon Coast, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

We chose Tauraa based on the Tripadvisor reports. And everyone we met there said the same thing.

A friendly waiting greeting (with flowers) at the airport got things off to a good start. We were taken directly to the nearby hotel (five minutes) and shown to our basic but clean room. It was early afternoon. Edith was away and the rest of the family spoke limited English so we were left to exploring on our own the first day.

We had asked about internet access and were given codes for our laptop. But it took another guest later to help us apply the four sets of numbers to the two access forms. No one knew which number went where!

After many hours of travel, we were ready for bed early. But noise from the street and drumming of the nearby cultural performances kept us awake. Loud motorbikes seemed to roar by all night.

Breakfast the next morning was great! The staff also remembered that my wife was vegetarian and took good care of her. However, Edith and Bill were still away. We asked about tours and were told there were not enough guests signed up. There would be no group tours but a private tour was available or we could wait another day.

We were told by other guests that they had enjoyed a private tour but that the cost was $500. (Unconfirmed.) Instead, the two of us walked around the corner to the first tour shop and booked an all-day private package for $140. (Group tours were advertised at Tauraa for $60 per person.) Our guide was ready to go in 20 minutes.

Before we left, Tauraa staff offered to move us to a larger and quieter room. (We had not complained about the noise.) They took care of all our luggage and had keys for us when we returned.

Our second night was as noisy as the first. Barking dogs all night!

The following morning, we did indeed meet Edith. She was helpful recommending that a rental car would not be more than a taxi when we planned to return to two of our favorite sites. (The car, booked independently, was $80 for 8 hours.)

Our final night, we once again listened to neighboring dogs. Our flight was scheduled for noon but Edith said the flight was actually at 10. She took us to the airport where we learned that the flight landed at 10 but departed at noon. Better to be early than late when there is only one flight a day!

Overall, the hotel was friendly, clean, and priced reasonably enough. Everything on the island seemed expensive for what you received and we didn’t check rates or rooms anywhere else. The bill did include an optional tip. The unavailability of tours was a potential problem which we quickly overcame. And the dogs were annoying but we travel with earplugs. (I don’t blame the hotel for the racket, but you like to know such things anyway. My guess is that other inns were pretty much the same.)

In spite of small problems, we would still recommend a visit.

One extra benefit was that in a remote destination, you meet people who are interesting and experienced travelers. We enjoyed the other guests in the hotel and shared several meals with them on different nights.

2 Thank dgsg
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

Staying at the Tauraa Hotel was the best decision I made when coming to Easter Island. There was prompt pick up and drop off at the airport, which I definitely appreciated. I was a young solo traveler, and Edith and Bill made me feel right at home. They brought me smoothies in my room and were always concerned that I was alright and having a good time. BREAKFAST WAS AMAZING, I would wake up eagerly every morning just for the breakfast. Edith and her sisters were always readily available to me and listened to all of my questions. The rooms were clean and spacious - I had a giant king size bed all to myself! The bathroom was nice and clean too. The garden around the hotel is really nice, complete with mini moai statues!

When it turned out that I was the only resident at the hotel who wished to go on their guided tours, Bill gave me the lower price for a combined private tour of the island!!! He took me all around the island and it was such a great experience. I would definitely recommend going on a tour with Bill, he is extremely knowledgeable about the island and I was deeply interested in everything he had to say. I couldnt believe how thoughtful it was of him to give me this private tour when he was actually losing money to do it for me.

More than that, because Edith and Bill knew I was alone on the island, they invited me to a party that their family was having. I felt so included and welcomed, they were such warm people. Bill also pointed me to a performance of Rapa Nui traditional dance which was an amazing experience (I even got to participate!)

I am sure that this hotel is the best find on Easter Island, the service is great and Bill and Edith are great people. They took care of me and made me feel at home!!!! Also, the bill was reasonably priced and was even lower than I thought it would be! They also told me the tip was optional, but I chose to pay it of course, because they definitely deserved it!!!!!!! The Tauraa Hotel was a huge factor in my enjoyment of my stay on Easter Island.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank maremoto24
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

My husband, myself and daughter (20 yr old) visited Easter Island and stayed for 5 days. We loved Tauraa Hotel. Great location to walk around Hanga Roa and try different restaurants. Breakfast was something to look forward to each day and Edith made us feel very welcome. Edith can help you arrange guided tours or help you with any other arrangements( recommend restaurants, give you beach towels...just ask) . Hotel is clean and comfortable. You need a few days to really appreciate Easter Island, we reccomend at least 4 days. Easter Island is an absolutely incredible place...nowhere else like it....Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2009
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

As written many times, keep your expectations in check when visiting Easter Island as far as hotels/BBs are concerned. They are only adequate for the cost.

Tauraa is clean, centrally located, and adequate. The coffee is french pressed and very good. However, our experience included:

- After being picked up from the airport, we were told Sunday was a holiday and they were going home unless we needed something. We asked a couple questions about tours and were told that they could all be arranged the following day.

- the roosters in the back yard crow at the crack of dawn abt 6am. This might be true for a lot of places since there are a lot of roosters

- the breakfast is fine/good but if you are very active not nearly enough. The breakfast time is 830am but that is on island time.

-We ran out of toilet paper and soap and it took a few times of trying to find anyone to replace it.

-The tours they offer of the island are extremely overpriced 60pp if there are four people, if only two it is 240 total. Highly recommend renting a car for $66 and driving around at your own pace.

-There was confusion with a horseback riding tour we had asked Edith about. We tried to find out six times throughout a day whether it was going to occur but could not find a staff member.

- Edith adds an $18/day service charge to the bill- all guests had this experience. I declined to pay this.

We saw a couple of guests leave the hotel for another during our stay due to the above issues.

4 Thank Traveller602
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

I have no complaints here, but I heeded the advance warning to readjust expectations to this culture. There are no Ritzes, but nothing tacky here.

The staff was friendly, spoke good English, arranged the widely regarded best small tours in Easter Island. The room was spacious, the breakfast quite good and varied each day.

I especially appreciated the replica moai througout the garden and the perfect location.

I relied on Trip Advisor for this booking and my experience was consistent with the rave reviews.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2009

Edith and her family who work at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was hearty and varied each morning. The hotel was clean and charming, and the tours they sponsored were terrific. The hotel's location is convenient to shops and restaurants.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanga Roa
Hare Noi
Hare Noi
#3 of 15 in Hanga Roa
Tea Nui - Cabanas y Habitaciones

Been to Taura'a Hotel? Share your experiences!