“Typical Easter Island Accommodation,not bad but nothing special”
Review of Mana Nui Inn

Mana Nui Inn
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Melbourne, Australia
“Typical Easter Island Accommodation,not bad but nothing special”
Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

Like most accommodation on the Island, this is a family run venture, they pick you up from the airport and make recommendations to take tours etc through their connections. We organised all these ourselves for much cheaper. But that is Easter Island, tourists come to an isolated island to look at the wonders, the locals provide the key to these and they make their living from it. We go there aware of this and know that it will be expensive and not 5 star and that's fine. We thoroughly enjoyed the island, the volcanic craters, famous Maui, caves, the gorgeous little beach near the large platform of Mauis...more powerful and awe inspiring than we'd imagined. Our 3 night stay gave us plenty of time to cover the island. Mana Nui Inn is on the edge of the only "town" a nice location that's about 15 minute casual walk in. A tad hilly if that is an issue for you. As others have said, the loud music from a nearby place on weekends was very annoying, and I am a music lover, but this was selfish, smothering every place anywhere nearby and such a pity to ruin the natural beauty and a good nights sleep. None of the Inns personnel were around that night so you had no one to talk about it to get it turned down a bit. I have tried to give readers a good overview of what to expect on the Island and at this Inn. We are so glad to have finally got to this destination of our childhood dreams, that's what it was all about for us and the amount of time there was plenty for us to do all we'd planned.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravellersT00

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I absolutely fell in love with this island. Based on many reviews I was hesitant on how many days to stay not knowing what to expect, but definitely it was the simplicity and genuine feel of the people that made it all much better. The hotel staff were very welcoming and attentive. The location was perfect to what I was looking for. It was close to the moai, restaurants and city center. Having the staff pick us up from the airport was very convenient and offered a great introduction to the island. Our flight arrived very early in the morning yet we were allowed to check in before permitted time. It was also beneficial to have continental breakfast included. This hotel is not luxurious, it is basic yet compliments the island feel. They do offer wi-fi in the common area where you have breakfast. They do accept credit card but it is dependent on the Internet being available. Be sure to have extra cash handy just in case, if relying to use credit card. We stayed for two nights and were able to have a very good stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Copper07
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Nice little hotel run by a family like many hotels in Easter Island. We were here for 3 nights. We arrived late from Santiago and Patricia welcomed us at the airport in the middle of the night with a flower necklace. The room they planned for us had some issues and we stayed in another one (room 4 if I recall correctly) for the first night. They asked whether we wanted to move to another room (room 7) on the second day. Yes we did because it was closer to the ocean and it was a small building without other rooms. Both rooms were clean and very big. We had good space to open our two big luggage without having those in our feet all the time. The breakfast is also nice and set ready on the table for all the rooms in the dining area. The breakfast varies a little from day to day. The staff was very nice and ready to help in everything related to tours and car rental. Not all of them had good English skills but some of them did so we were able to take care of what we needed. We had a late flight away from Easter Island. Although we had to give away our room already 10am, we were allowed to leave our bags in their facilities and there was kitchen and toilet in our use in addition to nice living room type of terrace where we surfed the Internet and relaxed the last few hours before our flight. And we were taken back to the airport by the staff and a necklace was given to us. Location of the hotel was good as it was 10min walking distance from Hanga Roa ”city center” and 5mins from Hanga Roa coastline where you'll also find restaurants. We liked the location on coastline and still walking distance to Hanga Roa. Airport pick up and drop off as well as breakfast was included in the 100e per night rate and made the rate very reasonable considering the island's rates.
On the down side, there are few things I'm pointing out and these don't take anything away from the hospitality and kindness of this hotel. In the first room on the evening of our arrival, I stepped onto cockroach while washing my teeth. In the morning when we woke up, we saw another one in the toilet. I just got rid of them and believe they might be normal here just like in many other warm places. In the second room, we didn't notice those. There are also cocks around the hotel and many other places around the island. In the first night, I had really bad sleep because of one starting to yell 4am. My earplugs couldn't do much as it was behind our room. The second room we had was somehow better and I couldn't here them although I saw some cocks walking just outside our room. Maybe they stayed further away from it overnight.
The hotel has three rooms that are a bit closer to the ocean and these are separate buildings without other rooms. On the back of these rooms, there are roughly ~5 more rooms with a bit less ocean view.
If I ever come back to Easter Island which may be unlikely, Mana Nui Inn is definitely an alternative. However, I would browse a bit to see alternatives in the 70-80e/night category.

Room Tip: The hotel has three rooms (at least #4 and #7, don't know the third one) that are a bit closer t...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ranttis
milano
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Good compromise between price and location, the cabanas are not all new, but the service is good, recommended especially for the angle and quiet but still within 10 minutes from the center of hanga roa

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The owner/manager of the hotel is SUPER AMAZING and friendly!!! She actually served us breakfast every morning and the food is awesome!!! The room is very natural with local flavour. It is relatively simple therefore please do not expect any fancy facilities or accommendation. The vibe and atmosphere is really authentic. We could park our car right in front of our door steps. It's actually located a bit out of the main street but it's only a 10 minutes walk. I really enjoyed my stay!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Mana Nui is a great value. We stayed in a separate cabin for about $110 per night, which gives you a lot for your money compared with the rest of the lodging on the island. Easter Island is notoriously pricey anyway, so this was a pretty good find.

The cabin was pretty good--two rooms, bathroom, front porch, lots of sliding glass doors to let in the breeze, refrigerator. We ended up in a cabin that was directly behind the main building and lobby, so I can't exactly say we had an ocean view, unfortunately.

The breakfasts were good, and Bicky is very nice (though she does not speak English, so we had some difficulty communicating with her). The hotel is slightly outside town, just about a 5-minute walk, which is perfectly fine and offers some peace and quiet from the bustle of town.

My only complaint is that from early in the morning until late at night (about 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.) we would hear bass from music somewhere. I don't know if it was the neighbors' music or music coming from the lobby area (I think it was probably a mix of both), but when you are trying to relax in your private oasis and all you hear is the walls vibrating, it gets very annoying very quick.

I would have given Mana Nui 4 stars, but I have to go with 3 because the bass sometimes interrupted sleep and irritated me whenever I was in my cabin. If bass doesn't annoy you like it annoys me, then I'd say Mana Nui would be a good choice considering the other options on the island.

SIDE NOTE: I'd highly recommend taking the full-day island tour that Mana Nui offers. We normally aren't the type to take guided tours, I should add. The guide, Patricio, gave us such an outstanding perspective of the island and history that our tour day was one of the highlights of our entire 17-day vacation. The difference is that the tours through Mana Nui are only offered to the hotel's few guests, so it ended up that our tour was a private tour. We encountered other tours through the town's tour agencies and saw big groups of about 15, which I think would ruin the experience. Our tour with Patricio was money well spent.

Room Tip: If you request a cabin, ask for a cabin near the front of property near the ocean. You will have bet...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Islandgirl3285
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 November 2012

They were so nice and although it was a fair bit cheaper than other hotels on the island it had the best service. They were actually concerned with our experience rather than us paying the bill (as another hotel we stayed at). This one was walking distance from the best sunset place on the island and had a couple of restaurants (good values) also within walking distance. They have a communal kitchen so we could buy stuff at the store and eat at the hotel or do take out and bring it back to see sunset while we had dinner.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple