“Unfortunate "incident"”
Review of Mana Nui Inn

Mana Nui Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I could write two distinct reviews on this hotel: one pre-robbery and the next post-robbery.

I was fortunate that my room was spared of the night robberies. The morning after the robbery, the owner Bicky rushed out of the indoor kitchen as she saw me talking to the victims from England who were telling me about the occurrence. She proceeded to ask me in Spanish what the couple was telling me to then blame them for leaving the balcony door open at night arguing that we were well warned about locking up – indeed we were when leaving the room not during nighttime when it’s extremely hot to sleep without a/c.

I found it odd that before the robbery, Bicky seemed to be on the edge and suspicious of our every move: “Where are you going, what are you doing” (in Spanish)…
“Well, I’m going to the trash bin area to throw this away”...(I wasn’t aware that my stay would be self-narrated!). In the morning before sun rise while walking towards the outside kitchen shouting out rudely “Who is there?”...
I could later understand her attitude - It seems to be a chronic problem on this island. – The robberies take place at night, while we are asleep. Scary, specially for women like myself who are used to travelling alone.
Even more interesting is that before the robberies, my friend asked Bicky to warm her milk during breakfast and the answer was: “There’s a microwave oven in the kitchen outside. You could do it there yourself”. After the robberies, while my friend was making her way into the outside kitchen, Bicky asked her where she was going and added, “Why would you do that? I can warm it up for you!” Bipolar? Perhaps, but this change in attitude came after the couple from Brazil, also victims of the robbery (the wife had all her credit cards, cash and passport stolen) gave the owner’s daughter, Patricia (the only one who spoke English), a lesson on how to treat her guests. As all the victims were ignored and treated as it was their fault for being robbed. They lost a whole day trying to get help, looking for Patricia (who is never present) and finally, three hours into this “battle” they managed to be taken to the police station where they could file a report. And Bicky didn’t even offer their computer or telephone so she could get in touch with the consulate in Santiago.

Apart from this nightmare (needless to say we were on edge the following nights and couldn’t sleep well), the Inn is very well located and very pleasant.
The rooms are simple but expected for an island that is so distant from anything else. The breakfast is creative in use of such limited local resources (i.e. kebab, sweet potatoes with tuna, pies, freshly squeezed fruit juices and thinly sliced 3 pieces of fruit, 4 slices of cheese and cold cuts).
I hope this experience teaches the owners how to better manage their business and be aware that it is based on the guests and we shouldn’t be taken for granted.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Patricia L
There are newer reviews for Mana Nui Inn

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Five day stay was dominated by one unfortunate event. Although we were warned not to leave doors and windows open while out, nothing was said about nights. All four occupied cabins left the sliding window slightly open while sleeping one humid night, when the temperature was over 20 degrees without air-con, and three of us were burgled by a silent hand sliding the door further open and feeling around. In our case we lost a rucksack which contained our camera with three weeks’ worth of snaps; but another couple lost cash, a passport and other documents (their safety box was useless as a previous occupant had left with the key and that hadn't been remedied). Sadly Bicky's attitude the next morning was that the losses were all our own fault - there was a conspicuous lack of customer care. The residents (several of them Spanish-speaking) all agreed that she seemed concerned only about the hotel's reputation, not at all about its guests. The police were supposedly called but did not turn up, and the couple who lost documents virtually forced Bicky to drive them and us to the police station. The police were very reasonable and gave us what we needed for insurance purposes. However over the next two days we thought Bicky (who has very little English) might have arranged for her English-speaking daughter Patricia (who may well have a weekday job) to speak to us (who have very little Spanish), but we didn't see Patricia after the robbery. It was good that Bicky, in seeing us off at the airport, offered an emotional "sorry" and a hug - if only that could have come earlier. We might say that, other than this, everything about the place was pleasant, but "this" leaves a nasty taste.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elaric
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Like most accommodation on the Island, this is a family run venture, they pick you up from the airport and make recommendations to take tours etc through their connections. We organised all these ourselves for much cheaper. But that is Easter Island, tourists come to an isolated island to look at the wonders, the locals provide the key to these and they make their living from it. We go there aware of this and know that it will be expensive and not 5 star and that's fine. We thoroughly enjoyed the island, the volcanic craters, famous Maui, caves, the gorgeous little beach near the large platform of Mauis...more powerful and awe inspiring than we'd imagined. Our 3 night stay gave us plenty of time to cover the island. Mana Nui Inn is on the edge of the only "town" a nice location that's about 15 minute casual walk in. A tad hilly if that is an issue for you. As others have said, the loud music from a nearby place on weekends was very annoying, and I am a music lover, but this was selfish, smothering every place anywhere nearby and such a pity to ruin the natural beauty and a good nights sleep. None of the Inns personnel were around that night so you had no one to talk about it to get it turned down a bit. I have tried to give readers a good overview of what to expect on the Island and at this Inn. We are so glad to have finally got to this destination of our childhood dreams, that's what it was all about for us and the amount of time there was plenty for us to do all we'd planned.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravellersT00
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I absolutely fell in love with this island. Based on many reviews I was hesitant on how many days to stay not knowing what to expect, but definitely it was the simplicity and genuine feel of the people that made it all much better. The hotel staff were very welcoming and attentive. The location was perfect to what I was looking for. It was close to the moai, restaurants and city center. Having the staff pick us up from the airport was very convenient and offered a great introduction to the island. Our flight arrived very early in the morning yet we were allowed to check in before permitted time. It was also beneficial to have continental breakfast included. This hotel is not luxurious, it is basic yet compliments the island feel. They do offer wi-fi in the common area where you have breakfast. They do accept credit card but it is dependent on the Internet being available. Be sure to have extra cash handy just in case, if relying to use credit card. We stayed for two nights and were able to have a very good stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Copper07
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Nice little hotel run by a family like many hotels in Easter Island. We were here for 3 nights. We arrived late from Santiago and Patricia welcomed us at the airport in the middle of the night with a flower necklace. The room they planned for us had some issues and we stayed in another one (room 4 if I recall correctly) for the first night. They asked whether we wanted to move to another room (room 7) on the second day. Yes we did because it was closer to the ocean and it was a small building without other rooms. Both rooms were clean and very big. We had good space to open our two big luggage without having those in our feet all the time. The breakfast is also nice and set ready on the table for all the rooms in the dining area. The breakfast varies a little from day to day. The staff was very nice and ready to help in everything related to tours and car rental. Not all of them had good English skills but some of them did so we were able to take care of what we needed. We had a late flight away from Easter Island. Although we had to give away our room already 10am, we were allowed to leave our bags in their facilities and there was kitchen and toilet in our use in addition to nice living room type of terrace where we surfed the Internet and relaxed the last few hours before our flight. And we were taken back to the airport by the staff and a necklace was given to us. Location of the hotel was good as it was 10min walking distance from Hanga Roa ”city center” and 5mins from Hanga Roa coastline where you'll also find restaurants. We liked the location on coastline and still walking distance to Hanga Roa. Airport pick up and drop off as well as breakfast was included in the 100e per night rate and made the rate very reasonable considering the island's rates.
On the down side, there are few things I'm pointing out and these don't take anything away from the hospitality and kindness of this hotel. In the first room on the evening of our arrival, I stepped onto cockroach while washing my teeth. In the morning when we woke up, we saw another one in the toilet. I just got rid of them and believe they might be normal here just like in many other warm places. In the second room, we didn't notice those. There are also cocks around the hotel and many other places around the island. In the first night, I had really bad sleep because of one starting to yell 4am. My earplugs couldn't do much as it was behind our room. The second room we had was somehow better and I couldn't here them although I saw some cocks walking just outside our room. Maybe they stayed further away from it overnight.
The hotel has three rooms that are a bit closer to the ocean and these are separate buildings without other rooms. On the back of these rooms, there are roughly ~5 more rooms with a bit less ocean view.
If I ever come back to Easter Island which may be unlikely, Mana Nui Inn is definitely an alternative. However, I would browse a bit to see alternatives in the 70-80e/night category.

Room Tip: The hotel has three rooms (at least #4 and #7, don't know the third one) that are a bit closer t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ranttis
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Good compromise between price and location, the cabanas are not all new, but the service is good, recommended especially for the angle and quiet but still within 10 minutes from the center of hanga roa

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The owner/manager of the hotel is SUPER AMAZING and friendly!!! She actually served us breakfast every morning and the food is awesome!!! The room is very natural with local flavour. It is relatively simple therefore please do not expect any fancy facilities or accommendation. The vibe and atmosphere is really authentic. We could park our car right in front of our door steps. It's actually located a bit out of the main street but it's only a 10 minutes walk. I really enjoyed my stay!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends