“Would do again!”
Review of Mana Nui Inn

Mana Nui Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I decided to stay here because of the good reviews I found about it here on TripAdvisor and I chose well. The staff greets you on arrival at the airport with leis and takes you to the hotel to greet you with juice smoothies! That, and they bring you back to the airport, with both of these airport services included in the hotel fare. The breakfast at Mana Nui was delicious. The location is perfect: just outside of Hanga Roa, so you can easily walk to and from restaurants, beaches, and moai sites close by. The staff was also incredibly helpful when it came to planning activities. During check in each individual is given a map and a run down on all the good sites to see on the island, and they also willingly arranged for taxis to take us and bring us back from places in town. Additionally, the staff is able to arrange for wonderful small tours with a local guide that they know very well. Everyone on our flight that stayed at the hotel decided to go on the tour, so the size was small (5 people) and the guide, Patricio, is one of the best ones I've ever had. You do have to pay him for the tours (around $70 USD for a full day tour, which for all that you see with him on Easter Island and a small tour is a great deal), since this is not included or technically associated with the hotel, but the fact that simply staying at Mana Nui made this possible is a huge plus. And the rooms! My friend and I stayed in a room separated from the others. The beds were great, the room was clean, and the shower and bathroom were good. If I ever return to Easter Island I would gladly return to Mana Nui Inn.

Room Tip: Wifi was slow, but this is the situation with the internet on the entire island. You probably won...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Makram H

Reviewed 22 May 2014

First of all, I planned this whole trip myself. A couple months prior to our departure, I was perusing Trip Advisor and found a post discussing how LAN was no longer flying to EI from Lima, which was the route I had booked. I had not received any correspondence from LAN concerning this so I called and found yes, my flight had been cancelled. They helped me make reservations from Lima to Santiago to EI thank goodness at no additional cost. But thank goodness for TA or we would have probably never made it to EI. Just want to offer this as proof that you should confirm your flights beforehand!!! This review is going to be broken down into numerous parts, including the second half of our trip to Machu Picchu and Peru.

May 4, 2013. 9:10 AM flight Boston to Miami. The lady I sat next to on the plane raved about the Cuban sandwiches in Miami. She lived in Brazil and her husband requested she bring one back for him. So DH and I went to a restaurant and tried one…neither of us was thrilled with it. Arrived in Lima. Didn’t realize we needed to get our bags. They were last ones to come off. Went through customs. I checked off ‘No’ when asked whether bringing fruits into country although I had sealed bags of almonds, dried fruits, Cranraisins. The lady at the entrance to customs asked whether we had any fruits. I said ‘Well, some raisins.’ And was scolded by the lady because ‘No’ was checked. We were told we should have checked ‘Yes’. The guy at the xray machine asked me to open my suitcase and show the raisins. Upon opening the suitcase, the Cranraisins were right on top and no other snacks were showing. DH started to reach for them but I slapped his hand (lightly!) and gave the Cranraisins to the guy. He looked intently at the package and the ingredients and declared we could not bring it into the country…We arrived in Santiago…and declared nothing!

Exit signs in Peru say ‘Escape’ for English!!! We had to complete Immigration Forms for entry into Lima and they were stamped at the same time we got our passports stamped. Upon exiting the country, we needed to show them again. I had mine but DH, being the neat one, had thrown his away! The lady looked at him in a reprimanding way and instructed him to go get a duplicate. Meanwhile, she gave me a thumbs up sign!! I got a HUGE KinderEgg for our daughter. Really cool dust collector!!!

Then on board for our five hour flight over the Pacific Ocean to Easter Island. Just slept the whole time. It was exciting when we started getting close and all of a sudden…there was an island!!! But then the plane flew over it! I said to DH, that HAS to be Easter Island, there aren’t any others nearer than 2700 miles, but it seemed like we were flying over it! Turns out the pilot was just turning the plane around to approach the runway in a certain way.

There are no gates at the airport. You go down the airplane stairs to the runway and walk to the terminal. We bought our park tickets (to the quarry and Orongo) before going in the terminal. You can buy them at the parks but it was just as easy to get them now as we waited for the luggage to come off the plane. Once we collected our luggage, headed outside and met with Suzanna from the Mana Nui Inn. She put lovely leis around our necks! This is a Polynesian Island after all! She drove through town, pointed out some things including our first ‘moai’! And then we arrived at the hotel. Nicely spread out cabanas, with a breakfast area, a porch, and office, and a kitchen the guests can use. Our room was beautiful. Large with sliding doors to a deck. We never did use it thought because there was a large deck by the office and that was only place you could get internet. After we checked in we went off to explore. It was about 1:00 so we walked the five minutes into town to get lunch. Had to walk past the island’s cemetery which was really pretty! The graves are very decorated, complete with solar lights which, as we saw later in the week, light up the cemetery at night! Pretty cool!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank corsica411
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We got picked up in the airport after making the reservation. We got greeted with beautiful flowers around our necks. The breakfast was great for getting those good starts in the morning and the staff was very helpfull with everything. They hooked us up with the greatest tour guide we ever had and it was worth paying extra for it! Mana Nui Inn will make it worth your stay at Easter Island. Nothing to complain about!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexandros S
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We have stayed at Mana Nui Inn for two nights but it was a great experience for us. This small family resort is a real gem in Hanga Roa area. Patricia an Bicky are doing the best to make people feel like home. From the very first moment when you are picked up from the airport with flower necklaces until the end of your stay they will take care of you and treat you like family members. Rooms are spacious and spotless clean. I also liked well maintened polynesian style garden front of the rooms. Set breakfast was fresh and perfect every day and WiFi works excelent in the terrace front of the main building. Nearby you can watch beatiful sunset every evening. I will come back to Mana Nui Inn back again for sure!

Room Tip: Try to to get bungalow in the front row to get better sea view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2014

a family run small series of rooms, only eight total, with charm and great service.
arranged a tour of island. have a car to rent avialable on site. very friendly.
nice and quiet, just outside the village, walking distance to town. beautiful view of the pacific. walking distance to several Moai.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rick S
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Nice property, family run business,waited a little while before daughter picked us up from the airport, and gave us a brief explanation of the sites along the way! Hotel/cabins was small and quaint, a good walking distance from the main street, Cabins are small with the minimum, bed, old tv which had no reception at all, and bathroom. But who stays in their room when you are in paradise!! The breakfast was different every morning, and very good!

Very close walk to the 5 moais and beautiful ocean view!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank tammyBaltimore_Md
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This place was the one picked by the travel company, so I read of the robbery stories before going there.

I made a point of locking the sliding glass door AND putting a walking stick in the door for added protection (mostly visual, but still).

Woke up the second morning to the sound of waves and was amazed how loud they were. Went to check on the weather and realized the door was open. My roommate said he didn't open the door at all.

Quick assessment of my computer and camera right next to the glass-door revealed nothing was missing, .... so we thought.

Talking at breakfast, it turns out other guests were robbed too - the night before while we were just a few feet away at a bbq the place was holding for us!!!!

Thankfully the tour company we were with had people on the island who were able to do the legwork for us, and that the robber was an idiot. He was seen on camera robbing the place behind this one, and was dumping most of the goods in the space between. The roommate did happen to get all of his stuff back (his duffle bag - used to hold all the stolen stuff - and keys to car and house), thankfully, and I did have something taken (didn't realize it till it was mentioned when they were talking about all that was found) - headphones and ipod - which I didn't notice was missing!!! Will now be more aware of what I have.

Again as others have pointed out, there really seemed to be an indifference by the staff about the incident, and the "wording" they used when talking about it was really strange in the vagueness of the details when questioned.

And, oddly, more of other people's stuff kept getting found just after they would mentioned what it was we were looking for (when they realized too what was missing).... missing keys turned up in the garden in front of the room the next morning. Why would they be there??? None of it made sense.

So I told our guide that I didn't want ANYONE in the room, even the cleaning folks, since I KNOW FOR A FACT that I locked and secured that door. The owner did offer to clean the room herself while we were at breakfast so we could check it out before leaving for the day. Nice gesture, but we didn't need them to do that for the rest of the trip.

Nothing wrong with the room otherwise. The safe did it's job of keeping our money, phones, and passports safe. The TV is just wasting space since there is no source to tap into. Refrigerator was noisy so we unplugged it. The fan was nice to have even in the winter time since we didn't want the door open (for obvious reasons :). The grounds are nice and close to the ocean, the town, and a very nice Moai site.

I loved that as we arrived at night, the grounds are unlit and the moment you look up at the clear sky the Milky Way and the Southern Cross were in their full glory. Bring a flashlight.

ps - we were assured that the robber was caught and in jail.

Room Tip: Bring a locking, collapsible bar (like a steering-wheel lock) to jam in the sliding-glass door! And...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends