“A place to stay !!!”

Mana Nui Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Hanga Roa
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Great experience!!!

A wonderful place to enjoy all the beauty of Easter Island.

Simple but extremely clean, quiet, great ocean view, short walk to Tahai and also to some individual moais, easy walk to town and the best sunsets we have ever seen, just from our porch.

Great people, owners and staff. Starting with our first e mail contact they were providing us prompt and informative replies and during all our stay we experienced their friendly treatment and a dedication to making our stay comfortable.

Definitely a place to stay!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank CgmSantiago
There are newer reviews for Mana Nui Inn

Reviewed 11 April 2010

I was here 5 nights and it was a pleasant stay. I thought the location had good points and bad points – it is a 10 minute walk to the bottom of the main street and this gets a bit tedious, but it is on the north side of town and the Tahai archaeological sites and the museum are nearby, and the cave at Ana Kakenga is a walkable distance up the road. It is not a luxurious hotel but the feel of the place is appropriate for an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean – it has character. Other points - Pros: (a) the owners and staff are very nice (b) breakfast is different each day (c) free transfers from and to the airport, although this is standard practice on the island. Cons: none

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank mark_SydNSW
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We rented two rooms for six days and had a wonderful time at the Mana Nui Inn. Exequiel (one of the owners) was very quick and thorough answering my emails and queries I had before going to Easter Island. We were punctually picked up at the airport by his daughter, Patricia who also helped us whenever we needed any type of tourist support. The hotel is located directly in front of the island cemetery (in case you are superstitious) and about a 5 minute walk from several Moais. It is exactly a kilometer hike to get into town to the main "strip". The rooms are clean and there was always hot water. Breakfast was simple but tasty. It's a great location for a reasonable price (since everything on the island is overpriced).

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My partner and I stayed with another couple. I agree with the other posting comments. The transfers to/from the airport were good (although this is a standard with all hotels), the rooms were suitable, the views and location were great, you were close enough to town to walk, but far enough away that you felt some seclusion and the price was one of the most reasonable.

However, on the morning of our second day our friends said they had lost $40,000CLP (about US$80). They thought they had put it in the safe but concluded one of them must have taken it out and lost it. After this, I counted all my money, wrote it on the envelop that held the money and put it in my money belt and then into the safe (which I locked). The next time I unlocked and opened the safe I instantly noticed that my money belt was not fully zipped closed and when I counted my money US$30 was missing.

We told Patricia we wanted the police called, which she did. We believe someone is accessing the room safes and only taking small amounts of money in the hope that most people will not notice it missing. The only reason we knew was due to counting our money prior to putting it in the safes. The police were less than interested as they said the amount was very little and why would someone take small amounts and failed to provide us with a report. While the amount of money was small, we made the hotel call the police because we wanted to 'scare' whoever is stealing the money. Not all tourists are idiots.

Having worked in hotels before, I know there are override keys, codes, etc to access safes. All hotels have this in order to open safes when people lose keys or forget their pin codes. Patricia said it wasn't her, but at the end of the day.... SOMEONE is accessing the room safes.

However, if I returned I probably would consider staying in the hotel, only because everything else was ok, however I would definately NOT use the safes and instead carry my valuables in my money wallet on me. I found Easter Island to be quite safe so would not feel vunerable carrying money. Particularly as you are out travelling the island most the time.

Also - as someone else mentioned, it is cheaper to hire cars and book tours in the main street than through the hotel. I would purely use the hotel as a place to sleep and eat breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Most things said in previous reviews (apart from the more extreme ones) are correct. Good location with nice views, generally proper rooms (though you might come across the occasional dead or living cockroach in front of your room), good breakfeast,. no internet access, a bunch of noisy roosters in surrounding houses, 15-20 min walk to the "city center", very short walk to Moais, good airport transfer, owners generally very friendly, but their main interest is to make money. So, check prices well (also for extras offered) and bargain if it is low season.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I was met at the airport by a german girl, but it did not matter; I speak german very well. There was not much information about the city or the Mana Nui Inn during the trip to the hotel. The hotel was much longer away from the city than I had expected.
I got a "cabina" in the end of a long string of "cabinas", and that was good. I liked the little "veranda" outside my door. I usually sat there in the evening, looking out over the magnific ocean, the moais and watching the sunset. This was the best part of the hotel!
There was a brief info, very brief!, the first day at the hotel. The dauther told me in a few sentences something of the island and the hotel, gave me a map, and that was it!
The breakfasts were good, something new every day. I really enjoyed it.
But it was almost impossible to rent a horse! The dauther promised the arrange that, but somehow she forgot it every day. Finally I got a horse and could go horseback riding to one vulcano top, but it was not the "best" horse... And still, the island is full of horses.
I went to the Tourist information one day and booked a trip around the island. That trip was fantastic, and the guide was great. It was worth every peso! But I got the feeling, that it was not the best thing to do, you should have done the reservation throught the hotel. At least the dauther did not talk to me after that.
The owner, Bicky, tried to make my visit a little more comfortable, the few times she remember that I stayed at her hotel! We spoke a mix of spanish and english; she was helpfull, at least she tried!
The dauther had promised me to take me to a restaurang in city where it was a polynesian show, but, geuss!, she managed the forget that compleatly!
But the island was fantastic, and I will return some day. But i think I choose another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank SusanneEurope
Reviewed 1 April 2009

We flew to Easter Island on a Tuesday morning. As promised via e-mail, we were met at the airport for the short ride to the Manu Nui Inn. On the way, Patricia pointed out favorite restaurants and other notable spots in town.

Our room was framed by hibiscus and other flowering bushes. It was tidy and had everything we needed. (Microwaves and cable TV just are not part of the scene on the island.)

The owners made arrangements for an all-day tour. After we felt oriented, we ended up renting their compact SUV so we could wander at leisure around the island. The car was perfect for us and gave us lots of flexibility. The dinner show recommended and reserved for us on Wednesday night was terrific -- well above our expectations. And breakfast was large, varied, and always delicious. The first morning, we were served in a breakfast room. After that, our breakfast was delivered to the table just outside our sliding door. Different fruits and juices each day! What a treat!!

Just leave your up-tight big-city ways behind and settle back to enjoy staying in paradise without a condo or high-rise in sight. The Manu Nui Inn is a graceful little gem that is so hard to find these days. We even had a friendly cat stop by at breakfast two mornings, and a horse wandered past the door one morning.

We loved our visit!