“Open water dives”
Review of Herradura Divers

Herradura Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Herradura Divers is the first and foremost PADI Dive Resort in the Jaco Beach and Playa Herradura area. After 9 years of experience in this tropical setting we have gained the knowledge and professionalism to give you an unforgettable experience while diving in Costa Rica.
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Did a open water referral with Herradura divers on on Feb 8,9. There was only six of us on the boat for the two days. Had the privilege of having Miguel do my open water dives one on one. It was a awesome experience being able to do the dives with Miguel. An experience that I will never forget. Thank Herradura divers and Miguel.

All reviews
"visability"
"equipment"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Miguel,was our Dive Mstr. He was very safety oriented.Since there was only 5 divers on this trip,it was easy to keep track of everyone.As for the diving.I can't blame the shop.This was my 1st time diving in the Pacific and this area.Most of my Diving has been done in the Carribean. I guess I've been spoiled.If you are not prepared to deal with 20 to max 40' vis. Then I would maybethink about it.
We did see some different colored Puffers and unique Starfish and Snapper. The Puffers were different from any I've seen in the Carriabean. Again,if your reading this you must know ANY diving is like a "box of chocolates."The other aspect here is they have thermoclines.Something again I did not know.Not bad though,maybe dropped a few degrees.Strong currents at times.I would still give them a 5 star rating for the attention,service and effort to make the dive good.
Reasonable price...

1  Thank GregGIL
ChrigelKarrer, Owner at Herradura Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Hi Greg,
first i would like to thank you for your review.
It makes us proud that the shop received a 5 star rating as it is our mission to provide the best and safest dives to our customers.
I can understand that you where disappointed regarding the low viz we have here and almoste everywhere on the pacific coast of the (south)american continent. The "low" viz depend mainly on 2 factors:
1° plancton and microscopic algea is bad for the viz but good for the fishes
2° swell and currents as they can stirr up the sediments and/ur bring up cold, dirty water
Both conditions can change daily and sometimes even during a dive and we as dive operators and you as a diver have to deal with those conditions here in the Pacific.
I travel and dive a lot around the world and run another dive operation in Sardinia (the Mediterranean second biggest Island) in summer when i close Herradura Divers because of real low visibility the rainy season. I learned to dive in Sardinia and the conditions there are like in the Caribbean with excellent visibility between 90 and 120 ft but not much fish and general marine life to see, but i still love to dive there and enjoy the ambients.
In most places of the world in salt water low visibility due high algea and plankton load gives a very good ambient for marine life as they have plenty to eat and become big while most places with very good visibility mostly don't give enough food to the fishes to build big populations.
Diving along the pacific coast here is known for see a huge amount of fishes and Herradura is well known for it huge amount of fishe and especially seeing white tip sharks and manta rays.
As marine live is living their own life it can happen that during some days there is a bigger or smaller amount of life to see and you probably where unlucky to dive with us on a day where the cold streams of cold water from below the thermocline scared some of our fishes away.
I apologize for that (even if i can't influence it) and we are proud about your 5 star rating for our dive operation.
Best regards
Chris Karrer

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Let me start off by saying salt water and I don't get along so I missed the second dive but dispite my personal issue we had a WONDERFUL time. The staff was super helpful and knowledgable. The most unique thing topside is taht after you are all ready to go they transport you to the bay by taxi while they haul on the gear in a truck. In all my years diving I have never seen so many different species. Our diver master was wonderfully easygoing with the time it took Brenda to equalize. The allowed our 9 year old to come along and watch from topside. The equipment quality was in excellent shape and well maintained. The bay was beautiful and the diving fantastic. Since I did not go on the second dive it was a 1:1 dive for Brenda - she saw even more - wish I up to the second trip. Bottom line: Great service and a wonderful location.

2  Thank phantom_49601
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My Husband and I did a DSD trip with Herradura Divers April 2012, 5 years prior to this we had done the same type of trip in the Bahamas which I had enjoyed but didn’t feel comfortable and after vowed never to dive again. As soon as we arrived at the dive shop I knew this would be a completely different experience - Chris ensured I felt completely comfortable with all the exercises in the pool certification, taking extra time to work with me on the parts I previously could not do (i.e. clearing mask). On the day of our dive I felt comfortable and confident (something I never thought I would say) Chris stayed with me throughout the dive, we did two 45 minute dives I see a shark, lots of amazing fish, star fish and rear coral. I was really surprised at how much under water life we see.

We are so happy with this experience that my husband and I are now looking into getting certified! I really want to thank Chris for giving me this confidence as this is something I have loved the thought of but never thought I’d be able to do.

5  Thank CarrieSmith_11
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I've been diving for many years and consider myself a decently well rounded diver (150+ dives). For the first time, I had a small dive accident here- a small air bubble got lodged in my sinus and part of my face became numb. Later, we discovered that what had happened was this:*** but before we knew that it was quite scary. Perhaps I was a big congested and I didn't know? It was certainly no fault of the dive shop. Chris, took the absolute best care of me and always erred on the side of safety while we were sorting out why I couldn't feel my face. He contacted friends to get more information, and then personally took me to a clinic and came with me to the doctor to get a diagnosis. After deeming that, while it was inconvenient, but I would not be numb for life, he drove me back and even followed up the next day.

Unfortunately, the diagnosis involved not being able to dive for a week, but I was right back in the water as soon as I was allowed and had a great week of diving with Chris and his staff. Their professionalism is uncanny in what are not the easiest of diving conditions. The currents here are strong and the visibility is not that of the Caribbean or South East Asia. They all seem to have a 6th sense as to where all of their divers are and still find time to find plenty of tiny macro life to keep visitors entertained. Sadly I missed the season for the whales and the manta rays, but did manage to catch the tail end of seahorse season. I also saw the tiniest of baby octopuses that kept me full of delight for at least 3 days.

I'll be back to dive here for sure if I ever get the chance to go back to Costa Rica and am looking forward to planning a trip to Chris' other shop in Sardenia, Italy.

3  Thank Nicole P