“Amazing resort and location!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Herradura
GreenLeadersSilver level
Westwood, New Jersey
“Amazing resort and location!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon and absolutley loved it. The location was awesome, right next to a marina with great restaurants and down the block from a major supermarkets. The staff was unbelievable and were entertaining day in and day out. My only advice would be that if you are renting a car, rent a GPS as the highway signs/maps are a bit misleading to get there. I loved driving in Costa Rica and we found plenty to do all within 30 minutes from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have to say I say, I love almost everything about this place. I am here right now. This is my second trip in two years.....But I also have to say, the internet service here is the worst I have experienced in years at any other hotel! I know the the hotel is crowded...but it is supposed to be - right? For my work, even when I am on vacation, I need to access the internet and this experience really soured me. What's worse, its $10+ per day. And when I have mentioned the slowness to the front desk, I am told to try it later...Not a good excuse.

But if you are coming here to detach and disconnect, this is your place! The food is excellent (everywhere but Nuevo Latinos - it is abysmally bad and grossly over-price. See a second review for that). The pool is amazing. The surroundings are beautiful and the staff here is top notch. Always cleaning, always friendly.

Room Tip: Ocean view of course. Any floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Diana D, General Manager at Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback! We are very sorry to read about your internet incident, we are now working in implementing a new platform which will be faster. Also we are very sad to read your experience at Nuevo Latino, we like to offer our apology and we hope we can see you soon again.
Diana
Stoughton, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Great location to enjoy the fabulous weather and food! If you want R&R in a gorgeous surrounding with ocean and mountain views, friendly staff, and great food, then staying at tis Marriott resort sould b your selecion!
look for Maylin, Adrian and Marcos to obtain s"Superior Service".

Room Tip: Our Garden View room was well appointed, and all we needed for the time spent in it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had such a Great Time staying at this resort!! The entire week was heavenly! The majestic views are unexplainable- as to the magnitude of Beauty!! We especially Loved the resort we chose! The hospitality was unbelievable. We Loved how Victor ensured our complete hapiness in the upstairs Bar/Lounge. :) Such a Great Guy offering the customers the finest service I have experienced. The country really is the happiest people on earth. How could you not be surrounded by such beauty!! The breakfast buffet was absolutely delicious. We especially loved the fresh fruit & made-to-order omelets! We even had our request filled for Feta cheese to be served with our greek-style omelet by Hector! (Another Amazing Employee). Marriott should comend their staff at this resort. They really go above & beyond the norm!! Way to Go Los Suenos!! We will definitely be back! The beach was nice & quiet. The nearby Marina was absolutely breathtaking. We loved the Italian Restraunt at the Marina. Oliver provided us with exceptional service. We dined there several evenings! The seafood was amazing. If you want to have a romantic getaway. This resort will exceed your expectations. We also went on a private tour to Tortuga island! Snorkeling & Fun bananna boat rides. The island was amazing. Definitely worth taking. I cannot rave enough about this vacation and the once-in-a-lifetime experiences we had while in Costa rica! LOVE!!!LOVED IT!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AnnaMaria402014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I see many high & low ratings of Los Suenos so it is good to know what you are getting into before you book. If you understand these bullet points below and don't mind the 'negatives', this is the hotel for you.

Why you stay here:
--The pool is reminiscent of an Italian waterway in Venice. Enormous. It's like 10 pools in one. Waterfalls, swim up pool bar, hidden nooks, pool volleyball. Pictures give a good idea, they do NOT do it justice.

--Their daily breakfast buffet (at $25) is the best brunch I've had in my life and I stay at Marriotts everywhere. It has everything, waffles, omelets, gallo pinto, guacamole, quail eggs, carmelized swan confections. Yum.

--Seclusion. The property is stunning, well kept & the service is top of the line. It was voted the best hotel in all of Central America by NatGeo Traveler.

Pitfalls / Setbacks:
If you are coming for a "white sand beach" this is NOT the place for you. Beach is black, water isn't exactly clear. Take the day trip offered to Tortuga Island if you want that. Not only is it a darker sand beach, but it is fairly rocky and the horseshoe (herradura) keeps the waves low.

You must travel FAR for night life. It is on a private resort. The only "walk" off of it is their very lovely Marina which has restaurants & a little place to pick up snacks / shop, but there is no crazy party dancing. You must pay for a cab to "go party". It is quiet on the resort.

If you know these things before booking, you should have nothing to complain about. Yes, the price is very high in the Dec-Feb season. We went in August when prices were in the low $100s and it was worth EVERY penny. I can see why some wouldn't want to pay 3 times the price for it...find a good deal in an off peak season and GO!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank InspiredApple
Miami, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here for three days during the off-season. We were able to land an exceptional deal here. So the hotel was at low capacity but still an enjoyable and relaxing stay. The beach may not be the finest but was still very enjoyable and a big plus. The water in the ocean in this part of the country stays at a constant 86 degrees. So it is warm for Pacific side bathing. As for the hotel their service is exceptional with some of the best breakfast brunch to really enjoy. Yes their prices are not cheap, but that is what is expected I guess.

My first time at Costa Rica and really enjoyed my stay over here. The staff are extremely helpful and approachable. By far an exceptional experience.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank kuma1720
North Hampton, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I have had the distinct pleasure of traveling to the beautiful country of Costa Rica on four separate occasions! Each time that we have traveled to Costa Rica we have stayed at a Marriott property. We have stayed at the JW Marriott Guanacaste, the San Jose Marriott and - best of all - three trips to the Marriott Los Suenos. There is no question that the Marriott Los Suenos is our favorite - compared with any other resort - anywhere!

The Marriott Los Suenos is a very special vacation spot and we applaud all of the employees. Whenever we are there we truly feel like VIPs and part of the Los Suenos family. Everyone treats us like truly honored guests and, in our opinion, that is a reflection of outstanding leadership. Kudos to the management team!

Every employee that we have interacted with at the Marriott Los Suenos has been courteous and kind. However, I would like to single out two very special employees. Alexander Delgado, at the front desk, is an outstanding representation of superior hospitality. He is poised, extremely polite and, perhaps most importantly, very genuine and sincere. We travel extensively (both for business and pleasure) and can say, without question, Alexander is the BEST customer service representative that we have ever dealt with. We truly look forward to seeing Alexander again in August. Additionally, we have had the distinct pleasure of being served by David (at La Vista) during each of our three visits. He, like Alexander, is poised, polite and genuine. He handles the La Vista clientele (some that appear to be quite challenging) very professionally and always has a wonderful smile to make you feel most welcome. When he is working we always ask to sit in his section and we look forward to seeing him again this summer.

Since I depend so on Trip Advisor for planning, I am sometimes stunned to read any negative comment or criticism regarding this beautiful property. So often people are quick to complain and call attention to shortcomings and mistakes. I, however, think it is most important to call attention to superior service and to focus on the positive. In this case, any superlatives are not adequate. Los Suenos is simply the best.

Thank you for welcoming us each and every visit. We truly look forward to our return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mbclifford
Thank you for your magnificent review! We are very happy to read your experience. For us every guest is our priority and they deserve to be treated like VIP's. Our associates are the best part of this amazing resort, our mission is to surprised our guest and be the perfect host during their stay with us. Alexander and David are big contributors of our success. We are expecting you!
See you soon.
Diana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herradura
Villa Caletas
Hotel Pumilio
Hotel Pumilio
#1 of 44 in Jaco
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery

Been to Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!