My family recently completed an 8 night stay at the Los Suenos Marriott. Let's get right to it-
1. The swimming pool is the best we've ever had at a hotel. It's HUGE, with bridges to swim under and many nooks and crannies to explore. They put out a volleyball net everyday. The view from many of the lounges is right out onto the beautiful ocean.
2. The grounds are lush and beautiful and very well maintained. You'll see plenty of iguanas!
3. The hotel is impeccably clean from top to bottom.
4. The breakfast that was written about by so many did not disappoint. So many selections each day that you have something different each day. The dulce de leche filled swans were my daughter's favorite. Hector, the head chef of the breakfast and his staff - David, Gilberth, Christian, Warner, Mario, Gustavo & Irma are people who stood out as being friendly and helpful.
5. The customer facing hotel staff was great across the board. Friendly and helpful and always willing to help you enjoy your time there. Other names - Juan Carlos the bell supervisor was a friendly face that greeted us on our arrival, Andres at the pool bar was conversational and friendly and remembered my name after just one time at the pool bar. Katelyn was also great there!
6. Susana was amazing! I don't recall her exact title, but she is basically the Concierge at the hotel, with her desk next to front desk. She is so helpful and friendly.
7. Beautiful views from our room, high floor above the pool.
1. One reviewer described the hotel as High Priced Jail - and that came through with the prices at the restaurants. $19 for a Chicken Quesadilla? Plenty of restaurants in the town of Jaco, and a couple of options to walk to at the Marina.
2. As mentioned in previous reviews, the beach here is not appealing. It isn't developed, it's very rocky and not great for swimming. We didn't care, but if you are a beach person then you will have to go off resort for that.
3. If you don't rent a car or you don't get to know a local red taxi driver, you'll be forced to use the high priced 3rd party on-site travel service to get you places. After a few days we got to know a taxi driver and we used his service to get into Jaco. Just make sure to negotiate all of your prices upfront with the taxi drivers so there are no surprises.
4. After 5PM, you are required to get towels for the pool up at the front desk.
Also, if you are going to do any excursions I HIGHLY recommend PIKO TRAVEL - who you can find right across from the pool in front of the beach - which is technically public space. Piko & Gerald are great and will be able to help you get anywhere you want to go, at very good prices - the volcanoes, National Parks, Zip Lining, etc. The hotel will not endorse them, as they have a high priced 3rd party on-site travel service that they recommend.
Another piece of advice - if you are using the high priced 3rd party on-site travel service to get you to the hotel - do not let them talk you into stopping anywhere along the way - especially the crocodile bridge. Trust me.
All in all, this is a beautiful resort and the customer facing hotel staff was tremendous. These minor issues along with one larger issue, which has finally been resolved, kept me from giving it a 5 star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recognized by Travel & Leisure magazine readers as one of the "World's Best," the Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort is a luxury Costa Rica resort hotel nestled between the warm waters of the Pacific and a 1,100 acre tropical rainforest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Marriott, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Hotel Herradura
- Los Suenos Marriott Ocean And Golf Resort
- Marriott Los Suenos Ocean Hotel
- Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort Costa Rica/Herradura