“Beef at Sunday lunch was tough as an old pit-pony”
Review of The Angel Inn

The Angel Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Heytesbury
Price range: US$36 - US$64
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Roast beef was advertised on the menu as "rare" but the waitress advised us that they would be happy to prepare it medium or well-done, as we wished. On arrival at the table it looked suspiciously as though it had been finished off under the microwave and was virtually inedible due to its toughness. On mentioning this to the waitress we were informed that this was because we had asked for it well-done or medium. Well, our fault then obviously! More likely, in my view, that it was a cheap cut rendered edible only by serving rare. This was a great shame as all other aspects of the meal were good.

2  Thank chemistatlarge

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We go here now and again because my wife likes one dish on the menu but for me It would never be my preferred choice. Everything I have ever eaten here always seems to salty, I have even asked before not to put salt on the potatoes or veg before it gets to the table but they still taste extremely salty to me as If they have been grown out at sea. I am not sure how children friendly they are but personally I would not subject mine to such salty food especially as it is not exactly cheap here. When ever the wife asks shall we go here I always try to find some where else she likes but I do have to give in sometimes. The last time we went there did not seem to be any table service either so not only did we have to order at the bar we had to pay there as well which for the prices you are paying is extremely poor service.

1  Thank Adrian N
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Organised a family get together to celebrate a 90th birthday. 40 people all having different starters, mains and desserts - every course enjoyed by everyone - cooked to perfection and every plate cleared which says it all.
Wouldn't recommend it to everyone or I won't be able to get a table next time I want lunch.
Fabulous - congratulations to Paul and all the staff who were very helpful
Looking forward to eating with you again soon

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This place is decorated much like my home and I have a sample somewhere in my cupboard of the very same wallpaper so they were winning me over before we'd even seen the menu..!

When we sat to choose lunch, wow, I could have probably eaten and enjoyed anything on the menu. I went for the raspberry and goats cheese salad and my partner went for the lamb kofta. Both were amazing. I have never felt the urge to write a tripadvisor review for a 'pub' until we stumbled across The Angel - mainly because it nearly was perfect.

My only negative was that although the lovely girl who served us was smiley, polite and clearly well trained, the lady behind the bar didn't greet us with a smile or barely a word when we ordered drinks, asked for a menu and settled the bill. It's a shame that she couldn't put in a small amount of effort to match that of the decor, food, other staff and the place in general. That said, we all have our off days and the rest made up for it.

This place - especially the chef - has so much 'right' it deserves a round of applause. Well done - I wish we lived closer.

2  Thank Claire Y
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I booked into the hotel because a party of us were having dinner at The Angel. First impressions as I signed in at the bar? Staff extremely courteous and friendly.
I was shown to my room (which was an outbuilding to the rear of the hotel), which was comfortable and well equipped.
As for the dinner..good food well prepared, served on a timely basis by friendly staff.
If I have any issue at all, it was that breakfast is served in 2 sittings, neither of which accommodated me leaving for work at 7.30am. I also could not access the hotel to pay my bill. Given that the hotel had my details, they phoned me a couple of days later and asked if they could put through the transaction. I think that made up for the port early morning access to reception?
As for people being rude, short and loud, as the title says...