The Red Lion
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bishopstrow House(Warminster)
View Hotel
The Captain Cook Hotel(St Peter Port)
  • Restaurant
The Farmers Hotel(Warminster)
  • Breakfast included
The Woolpack Inn(Beckington)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe pubfamily roomb bquiet countrypretty villagefriendly receptionroom was very clean and comfortablegreat place to staysalisbury plaintwo nightsminute drivetea making facilitiesnext morningstayed here for one nightgood nights sleepwould definitely stay here againgood size
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed for one night in late May on our way to the west country. I had chosen the Red Lion becuase of its reviews and 4 star rating. The staff and service were friendly. The blurb said that the rooms were recently refurbished and our room had been recently decorated and was very clean on arrival. Our bedding although clean clearly needed urgent replacement, as the foam pillows were as flat as a pancake and the duvet the same. Our room was very noisy, due to the water tanks being behind very thin walls and this was quite disturbing. We mentioned this to the landlady next morning who agreed 'thats how it is'. Food was very average pub grub, my steak was cooked nicely but my eton mess dessert was rather short on both meringue and strawberries! Breakfast was OK but had much better in similar places.An OK experience for one night but not 4 star.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from water tank noise
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I would probably class the Red Lion as 'Good', rather than 'Average' or 'Very Good'. Sadly Tripadvisor is deficient in this respect, and I couldn't with all honesty refer to this place as very good.

First of all I must stress that the staff - all of them - were friendly, polite, efficient, helpful and, all in all, lovely. This is not the Red Lion's problem. The drinks are also very good: a suitable number of ales, and the rare instance of offering both Stowford Press and Thatcher's Gold on tap.

The food was average. It was pub-grub, but certainly not the best. The steak and ale pie was completely average. The lasagne also. The onion rings as a side order were not very good quality at all. However, the garlic bread was delicious.

Moreover, the pub is a little cold. I don't quite know what was missing, but something definitely was. There were not many comfy seats and the bar area felt very open, almost as if all your conversations were being listened to.

Overall it is a solid English local. If I lived in the village I daresay the warm welcome from the staff would see me returning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BenandAlexandra
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed at this inn recently. The staff was most accommodating and friendly. I ate dinner both nights and had a wonderful experience. The prices were fair and the food was freshly prepared and delicious. I live in the US, but if I lived closer I would frequent this establishment often.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tri2eat
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Arriving here on a bicycling trip, this place was like a great oasis. We had two nights of meals and both were excellent! The owners are extremely friendly and accommodating. I would heartily recommend this place to anyone eating in the area. Reasonable prices and fresh home cooked food!
B. White

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank darnley48
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at end of April. Stayed with a friend in the twin room.

Staff were amazing, couldn't be more accommodatiing, food was excellent.

Room was lovely and very clean. I was informed they are decoarting the rooms to be more modern, however I did not feel it was needed, rooms were fine just as they were.

Had a walk around the area and it was very pretty, made me want to move the country side.

Would reccommend and would stay again :)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends