See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 July 2017

Well Benque Viejo is a very very bizzare town, not too sure if the town really needs a football stadium when it has dirt roads but definitely a charming little town.

We stayed here for one night when we were racing to cross the border but as it was potentially unsafe to cross at night we decided to stay in the town.

We booked very last minute (like 20 mins before we got into town) and as it was the low season i dont think there was anyone else staying. We had to wait a little bit for Steve to come let us in but the lovely man across the road let us wait inside and gave us a beer, which was fine as like I had said we gave very short notice.

When Steve arrived he let us in and took us up to the room and gave us the rundown of the town and told us where to go to grab a nice dinner, then we came home and went to bed as we had to cross the border at sunrise.

When we woke up we realised that the water wasnt working in our bathroom but just put it down to us being a last minute booking (and were the only ones staying at the hotel at the time) so the water may have been switched off and forgotten to turn back on.

Room was exactly what we needed, a comfy place to lay our heads before a very early morning wakeup, only thing missing was a nice cold shower to wake us up!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachv
Reviewed 15 March 2017

First of all, I will start with the good. Reasonable price, decent location. The bad news is, it is very dirty. We were there for 8 nights and did not have a toilet seat that entire time. The towels were given to us damp (their dryer is not vented properly, therefore does not dry correctly). The place has an odd smell which I assume is due to the uncleanliness. The coffee maker does not work and the ac may work but is too high up to reach. My husband did some cleaning while we there to make it livable. When I hear resort, this is not what i think of. Oh, and the spa? While looking around one morning I found the spa and opened the door. There was a guest sleeping in there. Creepy.

Room Tip: Probably best to choose an upstairs room. I had some shoes stolen from the downstairs porch.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan K
Reviewed 5 March 2017

There are not many choices in Benque. So to be fair, for Benque, this particular property may be a five.

It is a neat looking place with Maya characters carved on the doors. The hard woods in the rooms and stonework and tile were nice. There was good water pressure and nice hot water in the shower. There was kind of a nice view from the balcony. Property sits across the street from the river, so the river view is across. Bed and bedding were comfortable.

The A/C did not work for us but was not critical. Ceiling fan was sufficient although I did call about A/C, with no response after we found a remote in the next room.

There had been some roadwork so it was not real easy to park. On a hill, over a curb. Watch out for the rebar. Folks in the neighborhood were having a nice time (We were there on a Saturday night). The laughter died down about 9pm. We were visiting a family in Benque and wanted to see their town.

If you have transportation and you don't need to stay in Benque there are lots of choices that won't cost much more going toward San Ignacio.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KathyandJim2015
Reviewed 19 November 2016 via mobile

It's a great place, Benque is a small town and is not easy to find hotels like this. Is perfect if you want to see Xunantunich and if you go to Tikal because is closer to the frontier. The owner Steve was kind and gave me good advices. If you are looking calm between nature and locals... go there!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

Nice room with a comfy bed and hot water (I was in the dorm). It was nice enough that $US22 for a dorm bed didn't feel overpriced, especially since I had the room to myself. Wifi only works if you sit out on the stairs.

It's just under an hour to walk to the Xunantunich ruins which are great, especially at 8am when they open and are empty.

Not really a resort or hotel, but more of a room in a guesthouse. If you're an independent traveller and you want to stop for a night on your way to Guatemala or to the coast, this place is a good option.

And there really aren't many other options other than a little guesthouse about two blocks west of the bus terminal. And there's not much else in town - one night only!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo