“Whatever you pay her ..double it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Crown
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Bathford
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wiltshire
“Whatever you pay her ..double it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

We are local ladies who lunch often!
The last three times we have been to the Crown.The colourful young lady who served us made the experiences very good and is the main reason for our return. The food is very good as well...particularly the fish and chips and home made tartare sauce.
Back to the service...cheerful , thoughtful and friendly......great to be looked after by an intelligent young person...she is the reason we return.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank AgneseWiltshire

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Bring back the Calamari !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have eaten at the Crown a number of times over the last couple of years and I have to say that it has become a little frustrating recently. Our last visit saw the Calamari removed from the Menu and the Mussels had run out. There was nothing else that really tempted us and I ended up having an omelette which although was actually very nice, is not really the sort of food you travel to consume. The staff are very friendly and really make the place but the Kitchen needs to step up their game. With the excellent Longs Arms at South Wraxall not too far away, they are in danger of losing travelling trade to them forever. With the Calamari now off the menu, there is little to tempt me back on their current small menu. Bring back the Calamari and add a few more signature dishes and I would happily return and support this lovely old place.

Bath, United Kingdom
“A bit unpredictable...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

This place is just down the road from me, we have waited years for this place to be good enough to just walk down the road and have a lovely meal in a nice restaurant with a log fire and good service. We are closer than we have ever been!
The gentleman that works behind the bar is an absolute credit to The Crown, and runs his feet off. He makes you feel welcome, he is talkative and makes your experience at The Crown better than most restaurants.

Although, I feel that The Crown is understaffed and they need to employ another waitor/waitress like the guy behind the bar for it to be top notch.
You never know what the temperature of the crown will be like, on a cold night you want to walk in an immediately want to take your coats off and feel comfortable. When the log fires are lit this place is great. The radiators provide a lot of heat also, however they are turned off too early in the evening therefore you feel chilly towards the end of the night as the fire dies out.

The mussels here are genuinely the best mussels in Bath, therefore we return for these most Thrusdays for their mussel night. The choice of sauces with the mussels is great and they are delicious.

The onion soup on a good day is amazing, my favourite soup, however, I have visited the crown many times and every time is is completely different to the last time and not always in a good way. The soup has been amazing and faultless many times however it has also tasted of just stock cubes in hot water.... Consistency isn't great..

Sad they have stopped serving Calamari, however the gentleman behind the bar has told me it may be back.. so very happy to hear it.

Really lovely meal when the place isn't packed and the one staffed guy isn't running his feet off for every table in the place.

Hopefully it will be more consistent in the near future and we will be back a lot more often.

Ps great set menu!

2 Thank Bathbornandbred
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Can't quite make my mind up!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Monday night during a very wet February. Place was almost deserted with very little atmosphere but service was pleasant and attentive. Food, for a Northerner, seemed very expensive and I ended up with an £8 omelette, £5.50 pudding and £3.30 for a pint of Lemonade. In the North West of England I'm sure I would have still had change from a tenner but since this was my only port of call on the trip South I have no clue if these prices are average or not. Food was good quality but the French Fries were only just a little thicker than the variety on offer at any McDonald but that maybe me being picky. As previously said I am not 'au fait' with the region and so do not know if the Crown stands out or is just another average pub. In comparison to those I've visited in the North then the comparison is not in it's favour.

1 Thank Weekend_Roamer1
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
“A Mixed Bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Twenty years ago, we lived round the corner from The Crown and, with its rather unprepossessing exterior, we were unsure as to whether turning the clock back was a good or bad idea. On leaving we were just as undecided! The interior is verging on the shabby rather than the chic but the bar person certainly added a splash of technicolour life to the place. Incidentally she was service personified; friendly, helpful and diligent. The beer on offer was rather run of the mill so my wife and I opted for a soft drink and a very good latte. The open fires were somewhat desultory and, on a miserable Monday lunchtime, did little to warm or brighten the place. The menu is rather limited with French bistro aspirations. My wife chose a melted Brie starter which disappointed as it turned out to be deep fried in breadcrumbs. My crab starter flattered to deceive...it certainly smelled of crab but it lacked any real flavour except for a faint tang of a factory produced sweet chilli sauce. My wife's main course of minute steak was very disappointing; asked for medium rare it would have been hard to have served it more well done without presenting a heap of ashes on the plate. My burger was however very good and just as I had requested. Pity the French fries, of which there were plenty, were insipid and lacked flavour. So all in all a very mixed bag. I could neither recommend the pub nor discourage others from trying it out. It could do with a touch of TLC and an improvement in both ingredients and cooking. However the bar person and my burger almost saved the day!