“An Iconic Must See”

Giants and Glow Worms Day Tour
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Opononi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Always check the website for changes that might affect your trip.
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Awesome to visit. Take time to breathe in the air of ancientness. Excellent boardwalk all the way - we were pushing a wheelchair and it was easy.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

It was Labour Weekend so we decided to join a group on a day trip to the west coast of the far north. Traffic was reasonable for a holiday weekend. The drive through Warkworth, Wellsford and Dargaville and a few other towns was uneventful. We found the last 20-30 minutes through the Waipoua Forest was very slow and winding. More and more trees and bush made the road feel narrow. There were several stops and viewpoints along the way but we pressed on to the end to see the largest kauri tree in New Zealand. Once there and a short walk into the forest we came to the most amazing sight that everyone that gets the chance should see. The measurements indicate size - 52 metre high, 5 m diameter, 15 m girth. But seeing and feeling its presence, knowing its 2000 y age, and being there cannot be described. Go and take a look and spend half an hour or more communing with nature at its most awesomeness.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

So it's a tree a really big tree in a Really wonderful forest where you get a sense of timelessness and age. Quite fills you with wonder to think this great amazing tree has been there growing silently through wars, depressions, heat waves and storms. This is s special place, with a very special vibe.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

It's said to be more than 2000 years old and it's really huge and awesome. Rightly so, there are fencing around the tree to protect the roots etc. The boardwalk to the tree is pretty good but we can't say much of the toilets at the other side of the road.

1  Thank magbillSingapore
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Just about everyone I met in the Northland told me I had to see Tane Mahuta. Although not knowing quite what to expect (it was, so I thought, only a tree, after all), I decided to include it in my itinerary. The day was cold and wet, and when I reached the site, there were very few other vehicles there. I walked into the forest with a couple from Germany and as we rounded a corner of the boardwalk we were confronted by this magnificent Kauri tree - Tane Mahuta. It was awesome. And strangely spiritual. We stood silently there in the rain, and enjoyed the magnificence before us - it's not just the size of the tree that impresses, but the 2,000+ years of history that it represents. It was quite a beautiful experience, and I can now appreciate its importance to the Maori people. It really is worth seeing.
The actual grounds adjacent to Tane Mahuta are well tended, and the toilet facilities were clean and neat. On a pleasant day, it would be a great place to have a picnic after visiting Tane Mahuta.