“Bed comfort 'chalk and cheese'.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Knipoch
Knipoch Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Knipoch B&B and Inns
Leschenault Western Australia
“Bed comfort 'chalk and cheese'.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

From our personal experience, two separate ratings are required for this B&B, as we occupied two different rooms during our two night stay. We therefore rate sleep comfort overall as a 3. The KS-bedded room we slept in on the second night was comfortable, and rated a 5 in terms of sleep quality. Breakfast was fine – no complaints there. B&B location is peaceful, and family pets very sweet – I particularly enjoyed the two cats, missing my own. However . . .

Our first night in the twin-bedded room was abysmally uncomfortable. Thin, hard (and lumpy in my case) mattresses meant that we both slept poorly. In desperation, I eventually lay on top of the duvet in an attempt to reduce the discomfort, leaving me without any covering other than my own bathrobe. Thus, cold. In the morning we decided to look for alternative accommodation for the following night, but fellow guests overheard our conversation and suggested, as they were leaving that day and had found THEIR bed comfortable, that we simply ask for their room instead. This we did. I must add here that the owners were away from home at that point, with ‘locum’ hosts in attendance.

Later that day when we met the owners, Jamie and Morag, I asked Morag if the young lass had mentioned our dissatisfaction with the previous night’s sleep. Morag replied that yes – she had, and was astonished as she had ‘never had complaints about the beds before’. Also that they were “only a B&B – not a five star hotel”. I was also told that HORSEHAIR mattresses are traditional in that part of the country, and that she herself had slept in the same bed and found it very comfortable. Essentially, although Morag apologised, I felt that my dissatisfaction was completely dismissed. About an hour later when we were leaving to go out for dinner, Morag called out to us with some pleasantries about the weather, and where were we going to dine? I was in no mood to respond, leaving reply to my husband, who was also waiting for ME to respond, but Morag took it that I was ignoring her, and became confrontational, saying that I was making HER feel very uncomfortable, and if we were that unhappy, why did we not leave, and she would refund our payment? We then had words, during which I stated that a hard, lumpy horsehair mattress is NOT what we expect in a B&B, and that we would appreciate some adjustment to our bill in compensation for our discomfort. Which was done, so credit due to the owners there, but the overall experience – in particular the confrontational aspect, was not pleasant.

Room Tip: Avoid the twin bedded room if you value a comfortable sleep.