“Lovely place and beautiful stay”
Review of Knipoch Hotel

Knipoch Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Knipoch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Looking for a hotel in Oban, we arrived in this hotel by chance and were very happy about it. We were very pleased to be there instead of downtown Oban; the location is wonderful, with beautiful views on the loch, nice room and excellent service. Very good dinner. I wish we had stayed even longer

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Muriel P
There are newer reviews for Knipoch Hotel

Reviewed 28 August 2012

A great place to stay being a few miles south of Oban in a lovely location on the loch side. Don't worry about the main road in front of the hotel, it is very quiet at night and the hotel is set well back so it isn't a problem.
There are some great walks from the hotel itself giving stunning views across to Mull & Jura. The hotel itself is very comfortable, public rooms are great and the food is good. Don't believe the other reviews about the breakfast, on my last morning there I was given 2 eggs, 2 sausages and lots of bacon, unlimited toast, croissants and the buffet table is well stocked - you will not leave here hungry.
I think all the rooms except one have loch views, the only drawback is the beds, only one room has a Queen sized bed, all the rest have standard (narrow) double beds - if they could fix this it would get 5 stars in my book.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Knipochhotel, Front Office Manager at Knipoch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your nice comments with the staff and I have to say this review made us all very happy.We always take the comments and criticism into account and try to improve where we can. Although some times I find some of the reviews very unfair and unrealistic. Recently we have experienced this on one or two occasions. We could have write a defense but I think a nice comment from other guests can have the best effect.

We all look forward to welcome you back to Knipoch Hotel in near future.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Stayed here for one night as part of a short tour of Arran and Argyll with my Mum and Dad. We paid £150 for the double room and £115 for the single-occupancy room (B&B). I consider this to be extremely expensive - but we booked late and the reviews were very good. I was a little disappointed with the location: I thought that the order would be main road, hotel, lochside - but in fact the main road is in the middle. But it was extremely quiet at night, so that's the main thing. The inside of the hotel is very impressive, with good-sized bedrooms and spacious traditional lounges on the ground floor. There was tea and coffee in the rooms but the hotel seemed to be skimping on the portions: after two cups of tea when we arrived and two in the morning, my parents ran out of milk (and the tea and coffee would not have lasted much longer). Similarly, I was surprised - no, astonished! - by the small portions at breakfast. A fried apple does not make up for the lack of black pudding, a second egg, and some (eg) potato scones. I would have expected a 4* hotel to do better. The staff were excellent and mostly made up of our EU cousins; the receptionist, in particular, was very pleasant.

There was a strange scene as we were leaving. I'd heard that people can use threats of writing negative reviews on hotel "advisor" websites to gain some concession from the hotel - but I never believed I'd witness it. However, a thuggish-looking and -sounding man seemed to be trying to do just this (I think - I guess there is a possibility I may have misread the scene) with the nice receptionist as we brought our luggage down. I do hope he failed! I wonder what hotel "advisor" websites can do to stamp out this unpleasantness?

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TheProfessor34
Knipochhotel, Front Office Manager at Knipoch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about us. At Knipoch we all had a look at your review and your comments about breakfast has been taken into account. I really appreciate the nice comments about the staff.
I also wanted to add some explanation about breakfast and tea and coffee facilities, both of these are included in the price and are offered based on Scottish tourist board standard. However our customers are more than welcomed to request extra if they wish. In the past we did offer blackpudding,it did not prove popular by our clientele. Also if our guests have any special request we are more than happy to accommodate their needs.
Furthermore, as you made your booking online you missed our late deals and special offers which can only be booked by phone.
We all hope you return to Knipoch for a longer stay and enjoy our short break offers.

Reception

Reviewed 4 August 2012

The Knipoch Hotel was picked by chance, after leaving a decidedly substandard pub room earlier in the evening.

It was an excellent choice, room was large and comfortable, dinner was relatively expensive but excellent and worth the money.

Staff were helpful and friendly.

The bed was a little narrow for two people who were both 6ft tall and built in proportion, but that was a minor matter.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Stedms
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I found Knipoch by accident, having been desperate to escape the awful Oban Backpackers (see other review) and was absolutely delighted with the quality of my stay here. The room was lovely... over looking the loch and the bed extremely comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble for the owners. I asked if there was a way I could dry damp clothing (I had been sea kayaking) and an offer was made to launder my clothes that same evening.
The hotel seemed to mainly cater to overseas tourists on the night I was there. I ate in the restaurant and noted that a man nearby asked to sample some Scottish beer and the waitress offered him Tennants. This seemed a shame as I noted that the bar fridge had a variety of local real ales. Might be useful to keep tasting notes for beers alongside wines as an option (you can tell I am a CAMRA member!). The food in the evening was beautifully cooked.
I gave four stars instead of 5 as I found the breakfast cooked breakfast portion a little meagre. Described as a platter it entailed... one rasher of bacon, 1 egg, 1 tomato, 2 mushrooms and a tiny sausage. Having paid a good price for the luxury of staying here, it was the one area that I thought needed a little improvement. I also would have preferred quiet radio to the Scottish music piped through the restaurant and bar areas. Music is fine the evening but a little staid at breakfast as well.

Room Tip: Ask for loch facing
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Knipochhotel, Front Office Manager at Knipoch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time and write a review about us.
We are all happy that you had a comfortable stay with us and hope to welcome you back to Knipoch Hotel in near future.

I would like to take this opportunity and add some explanation about your comments to clarify the situation.
We have a selection of Scottish beers displayed on the bar and it can be easily seen to be chosen from. We don't tend to offer the guests any special drink we just show them what is available and let them decide. However I have informed the waiting staff about your comment on what they offered the guests.

We have also considered your comments on breakfast, we have a large buffet with plenty of choices also we always ask the guests if they want a large portion or regular when they order traditional platter. Based on our experience most times people find too much on their plate.
Breakfast is included and unlimited toast, tea, coffee and cooked breakfast is available.
We always use local fresh products and the shopping is done daily based on how many guests we have in the house.

We play a variety of musics in the house, if the guests don't like what is played we would happily change the music. Considering your comment we now don't play music at breakfast time.

Once again thank you very much for giving us feedback and I hope you consider Knipoch Hotel for your future stay in the area.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

This hotel has amazing views and has very helpful staff - it was also clean -even the grout in the 70's tiles in the bathroom were clean however a few things let it down........
Firstly it is very dated with bedrooms set in the 70's/ 80's - there was a very small en- suite with boiling hot water both from handbasin and shower so if small children were alone in the bathroom they could easily be scalded - the bedroom was a reasonable size but darkly furnished - the floors above creaked all night - they didn't allow corkage to be paid on a special bottle of wine we brought with us and the owner is slightly 'offhand' at times with her manner ......the waitresses are so keen to serve they are upon you for menu choices before you have even been properly seated so not sure why that would be - we witnessed this approach on many occassions with other diners. The dining room is archaic and constantly played scottish highland dancing music all day now I appreciate this may suit the overseas vistors but does not suit everyone..............this was booked online and was not a 'cheap' hotel - they definitely need to bring it into the 21st century as it has great potential................maybe we were just unlucky with the bedroom but overall for what was paid it was not good value for money..............could do better mehtinks..............

Room Tip: No idea what other rooms wre like.............
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Holfanatic1
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My husband and I spent four nights at Knipoch Hotel last week, the weather was glorious, the food out of this world, and the Hotel everything it promised. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, what a wonderful atmosphere there is in the Hotel, we met lots of very interesting people, had a trip to Mull and Iona on a calm sea (a bonus for my husband who does not like boats), and a couple of days just exploring the area.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite, a wonderful bonus of booking online, the rooms were large and airy and very q...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Caroline L
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Thank you very much for your nice review on Knipoch Hotel, for which we are very grateful.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and explored the area. We hope to welcome you back to Knipoch Hotel in near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knipoch
Perle Oban Hotel
Falls Of Lora
Falls Of Lora
#1 of 2 in Connel
Muthu Alexandra Hotel

Been to Knipoch Hotel? Share your experiences!