“week-end stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Knipoch B&B and Inns
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“week-end stay”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Arrived on the Saturday afternoon and had a fantastic time till we left on the Monday morning. Greeted by the owner who was very friendly and welcoming, she showed us to room 13 !! oh oh I thought. The room was lovely with a great view. The reviews about the furniture being dated ! I do have to disagree and suggest that it is in keeping with the age and style of the hotel. Daily bed change and clean towels. Very clean. Breakfast was good with plenty of choices. Evening menu looked good. A must if you are in the area

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brndthm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Knipoch Hotel is an excellent Scottish country house hotel that is full of character, with a warm welcome from lovely staff and first rate standards of service. Our room (No.18) was in fact a suite with a huge bedroom, very comfy bed, good-sized bathroom and dressing room attached. There was also an enormous sitting room with TV, easy chairs and dining table all of which was enhanced by a splendid view over the loch directly in front of the hotel. We spent four nights there and we were never once disappointed by the service we received. Our room and all the public areas were spotless, the choice of breakfast and dinner menu was very good for a small hotel and the food was delicious. The owners and staff were extremely helpful, very friendly and always on hand to give tips about little things such as where to park in Oban and the best sights to see in the area. The setting is quite rural overlooking Loch Feochan but is just a ten minute drive into Oban so offers both seclusion and easy access to ferries or seaside strolls around town. All in all an excellent hotel providing a lovely base from which to explore the beautiful Argyle coast.

Room Tip: A view of the Loch is worth asking for
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John G
scotland
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I am putting this as very good mainly for the room and breakfast as we didn't eat in. My wife and I arrived on the Friday night and were shown to our room no.18 ,we went in one door and our bedroom was on the left but next to it was a sitting room with t.v. settee, table and four easy chairs very nice. The house dates back to the 16th century and was changed to a hotel 30 years ago. The staff were friendly and we found it quite amusing that the welcoming receptionist and the barman also served breakfast in the morning. It is a ten minute drive into Oban but if you are looking for a nice peaceful retreat this will do you. Also if you are using a sat nav coming up the a 85 go right into Oban or it will take you over a single track road ,I didn't mind it but my wife hated it so if you want a bit fun just follow the sat nav.

Room Tip: number 18 good view as well as plenty space
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank geordie30
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My family and I spent a night in this hotel and everything was excellent . Cannot understand the negative reviews - they must have mistaken the planet ! We were given a very warm welcome to a beautiful and high class hotel. The staff went out of their way to be pleasant and helpful. The rooms were very clean and warm. The food was of the highest quality and well presented, obviously a top rate chef ! I cannot rate this hotel higher - would certainly return

Room Tip: All rooms are good !
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 993finlay
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel by chance the rooms were comfortable and clean the Hotel had character and the staff friendly, however they need to be better trained, both the wine waiter and the waitress did not know their job the wine waiter put water in a gin and tonic and the waitress didn't know the menu but for the price you would expect better, This didn't put us off we will stay there again and hope for better next time

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jan G
Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

I'm very sorry to say so, but this is an awfull place to be. Rooms are very poor, staff is ignorant, food is less than average, and you pay a top end price. We were welcomed with an attitude 'what are you doing here?' We wanted to give it a try, and ordered a bottle of champagne. The glasses were so durty that the bubbles died immedately. I asked for another glass, but that didn't make any difference. £ 100 spoild. The water in the shower didn't flush away. What supposed to be a King bed are two beds attached. It is all painstriking horrible. Some of the staff (these from Eastern Europe and Ireland) is of good will, but all is hopeless. Sorry for these two people of good will, but avoid this place. I see not one reason to come here!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Theo1965
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Nice décor inside hotel. Our room was fine, nice as it had two rooms (useful as we have a baby). But certainly a little ragged inside, eg light by bed didn't really work unless you "jiggled" the switch. Bathroom cramped, very narrow bath (and I am not obese!).

Food-wise, mixed experience, overall poor. The dinner was frankly not very good. I had trout, my wife had steak. Steak overdone, trout not “fresh” as stated. If it says fresh, I expect to see the whole fish, bones, head and all. This trout had not been filleted in the kitchen, clearly out of a packet (“freshly-opened” more like!). Bizarrely, the vegetables were perfect. Slow service, but pleasant enough.

In the morning, the breakfast kippers were excellent - best I'd had in Scotland. Obviously were high quality to start with, but cooked well too. Saying that, I was not impressed that when we arrived for breakfast there was a nice table that had been vacated and we asked to sit there, only to be told we had a table already in the "dungeon room", the room that others have complained about here. It would have taken little effort to reset the settings (and move our baby chair). If I had been thinking straight, I would have done it myself, but instead I did as I was instructed. Doesn't "service" mean doing what the customer wants?

The biggest problem (for me) was the noise. The hotel is very close to a very, very noisy and high speed stretch of road – can hear cars for 30 seconds as they approach, pass and leave at high speed. This is very disturbing for someone like myself who is sensitive to noise and likes to have windows open for fresh air. And the windows are absolutely not double glazed (someone made a comment they were - none of the 6 windows in our rooms were). Admittedly, this was summer and we like windows open. But even windows closed, could still be disturbed by cars speeding past. Furthermore, this is a very busy road, and very high speed; certainly cannot walk or run down road without being in fear of one’s life. Obviously not much they can do about the location - except adjust the room rate accordingly (it is far too expensive). Interesting that some of the comments from others say this place is "peaceful" and the road is "quiet at night". I admit I am sensitive to noise, but it is absolutely not peaceful and there are still cars speeding by (albeit with a lesser frequency) all through the night.

And I could hear the people in the next room simply talking (they weren't shouting). Very thin walls.

Also the floors are very creaky. I was on top floor, but very aware how irritating it must be for anyone below me every time I simply stepped on the floorboards, especially after having read some of the comments below. Impossible not to sound like an elephant.

I would say the price is FAR too expensive. This was more expensive than Glengorm Castle where we stayed before coming here - and that was one of the best hotels I've stayed in my life. And cheaper.

Out of the 5 hotels stayed in during our tour of Scotland, this was the worst, by a long margin (due to the noise and, secondarily, poor food). And amazingly the most expensive of all 5. Bottom line, this place is too highly priced for what it is. Frankly, I think the owners are “gouging” – squeezing in far too many people and over-charging, especially in summer.

This is also the biggest Tripadvisor recommendation disappointment I’ve ever experienced – usually if the ratings are high the hotel is good. Not the case this time.

If sensitive to noise – don’t stay here. And I cannot recommend the food (apart from breakfast kippers!). I'm sorry to say (genuinely sorry - the management at the hotel were very pleasant) that I certainly won’t stay here ever again. If the price was lower I would have less reason to complain - you can't expect everything for a cheap price. These prices were absurd.

Room Tip: Unfortunately I don't believe any rooms are away from the road. Some are less frontal, but woul...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Colin M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knipoch
Best Western The Queens Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kilchrenan
Airds Hotel & Restaurant
Airds Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Port Appin

Been to Knipoch Hotel? Share your experiences!