“Nice environment, good food”
Review of The Laughing Onion - CLOSED

The Laughing Onion
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had a large group evening meal here during the GP, & it was noisy, but serving good food with happy & attentive staff.
The pud of baked pear in red wine didn't work for me, way too many flavours going on & overpoweringly sweet, but I guess others may like it & you never know unless you try.
Our friends use it regularly, & we would certainly go back, especially for lunch.

There are newer reviews for The Laughing Onion

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Went for a set menu meal, I was expecting to pay the price on the menu for a 3 course. And when the bill came there was a surcharge for the lamb which was not mentioned by the staff but written under the description on the menu. We thought that the surcharge was if you had not ordered the set priced menu. The lamb had hardly any meat on it more fat as it looked like it was from the belly and you were paying more. Not impressed at all. Staff were very helpful.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I attended a special "networking lunch" event here today at which our lunch was pre-selected. I was unaware of this place and welcome it warmly as Brackley has few decent eateries. This did not disappoint. From the moment you set foot in the place, you feel very relaxed as the atmosphere is calming with nice simple decor and stylish modern furniture. The young man who welcomed our group was utterly charming and his young lady assistant likewise. Between them they served us with great courtesy and efficiency.

The soused mackerel to start was a delight served with pickled baby vegetables and rocket pesto - a most unusual combination, which worked well for me. Not so with the main course I'm afraid. The "Confit of new season lamb infused with loads of lemon, thyme and rosemary slow-cooked for 8 hours" was a big disappointment as first I didn't get any of the lemon, thyme and rosemary flavours and secondly after 8 hours of cooking, it was a bit on the dry side. Finally the pudding waas a triumph - chocolate truffle with raspberries and marshmallow - delightful!

Despite the fact that the lamb was neither my choice nor frankly very succulent, the service, presentation and general experience made up for it for me. I'll certainly give it another try.

1  Thank Tim W
Judi B, Owner at The Laughing Onion, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We're really sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the main lamb course, and the kitchen staff will certainly do their best to ensure that this dish is always up to scratch in the future. We're pleased you had a good experience overall, and hope you will indeed try us again.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The food was terrific - great menu that was hard to choose from, for the right reasons. They had neat little touches - you thought Hmm! I'm going to try that combination at home! The presentation was brilliant as well. Service was spot on. Wine was excellent. I cannot fault this in any way.

thanks so much for your positive comments, we're really pleased you had such a good experience with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Our dining experience was good last night, food arrived in good time, it was well presented and tasty. I think however the staff need some training. When passing a plate over some oil was spilled on the table, waitress apologised, she looked at it and did nothing. When I asked the waiter to wipe it up, he flicked it onto my skirt??? When coffee was served 4 came and 10 minutes later 2 more? I was surprised that 3 of the items on the small menu were already sold out as we were very early diners!

Judi B, Owner at The Laughing Onion, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to make your comments. We're really glad you liked the food. We'd like to apologise about the incident with the oil - we definitely would expect our staff to clean up any spillages (and avoid flicking these onto the customer) and our staff know this. We also apologise for the late arrival of two of the coffees, again we would not see this as acceptable, and can only say that this is not representative of our service. We hope you will join us again, and will enjoy faultless service as well as food.