“Great restaurant, Could have done better” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Laughing Onion - CLOSED

The Laughing Onion
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brackley, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant, Could have done better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had the pleasure of eating at the laughing onion a few days before it sadly closed. I had looked forward to visiting and enjoying a good quality English restaurant, which Brackley has sadly lacked for many years. My experience of the restaurant was very good. Considering they were closing down I had expected the worst. On a busy Thursday "steak night" the staff were friendly and attentive. Being a busy night the food was a little slow to arrive but well cooked and delicious. As I had already been advised the prices were quite high for the local area and one of the criticisms I had heard from many locals. Considering the cost of the renovation I'm not surprised, I've eaten in many very good restaurants, the standard or the décor in the laughing onion toilets alone would put many of them to shame. Perhaps they didn't get the balance quite right, Strangely though they were open in a limited capacity for the motorbike festival, maybe seeking a buyer for a grand reopening in the future maybe?

• Visited August 2014

Northants
“Just discovered it but sadly its closing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had the most delicious food here last night served beautifully. Although I live locally I had not been before (although I had walked past many times when closed) and now its closing down. What a shame a leaflet/menu/advertisement hadn't dropped through our letterbox to let us know they were there and what they offered or a copy of the menu in sight on the door or window when they were closed as we would have definitely tried it sooner had we known more. Better advertising may have kept this place open? It certainly deserves to be and they have obviously worked very hard. Best of luck to the chef who is no doubt extremely talented and the friendly staff.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Amanda S
Paris, France
“Excellent & Elegant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The staff is attentive and knowledgeable. The food is excellent and elegantly served. We were sad to learn tonight that the demand is still not sufficient in Brackley for such a restaurant and that it has announced that it will close on August 2.

Visited July 2014
Gloucestershire, UK
“Nice environment, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had a large group evening meal here during the GP, & it was noisy, but serving good food with happy & attentive staff.
The pud of baked pear in red wine didn't work for me, way too many flavours going on & overpoweringly sweet, but I guess others may like it & you never know unless you try.
Our friends use it regularly, & we would certainly go back, especially for lunch.

Brackley
“Not what it says on the tin.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Went for a set menu meal, I was expecting to pay the price on the menu for a 3 course. And when the bill came there was a surcharge for the lamb which was not mentioned by the staff but written under the description on the menu. We thought that the surcharge was if you had not ordered the set priced menu. The lamb had hardly any meat on it more fat as it looked like it was from the belly and you were paying more. Not impressed at all. Staff were very helpful.

• 1 of 5 bubbles