“Motor racing and mould.”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brackley
Derby, United Kingdom
“Motor racing and mould.”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed here on Friday 26th July in room 24. The shower room was a disabled wet room with black mould on the walls. Even the toilet paper was damp.. Dingy bedroom with a cheap wardrobe that wouldn't shut properly. Poor cooked breakfast in the morning served by a manual from faulty towers wannabee. They boast of racing drivers staying there for F1. I wouldn't let my dog stay in that room.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

A very tired and unimpressive place. Needs a lot of help with fixtures and furniture. Staff very polite but certainly overpriced for what you get. I think all the food for dinner was made in the microwave. No flavour and overcooked ..all condiments packaged for dinner and breakfast. They tried to put us in the highest room on the uppermost floor which i refused and got a reaonable room on the first floor. It was one of the hottest days so at least we were cooler in this room with a cross breeze. Anyway if your expectations are not high..then this is the place for you. However am sure there is better in the neighborhood if you have time to research

• Stayed July 2013

Travellers are raving about these Brackley hotels

Bedford
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

This is a haunted olde' coaching inn... Creaky and unlevel, room furniture is tired, and really needs updating, and not with cheap pine furniture .... We didn't have time for breakfast but can advise there was no glasses in the bedroom, very inconvenient.

Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

We ended up here after a nearby major chain hotel messed up our booking, and we're glad we did. Staff could not do enough for us, quickly rearranging bed rooms to suit our requirements. Food was good and rooms clean and functional. If you only like hotels that are packed with mock wood, glass and chrome then this probably isn't for you, but if you want a traditional coaching inn then give it a try.

1 Thank Ando1969
Sheringham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

It's worth reading to the end of all the reviews about the Crown hotel at Brackley!!
My grown up family, my husband and myself stayed here for the Grand Prix the last weekend in June.
It was a special family occasion so we had booked three superior double rooms at a cost of £190 per night, per room which was confirmed by e mail by Carlos at the hotel. On arrival , the total of £1,140 was taken out of my debit card before we were shown our rooms. Had we seen them, we would not have stayed there. We had rooms 4, 20 and 3. Each bathroom was a disgrace. Broken and faulty shower fittings, alternating scalding and freezing water, no shower mats, paltry toiletries, no shower caps, flickering lights, bathroom door impossible to shut, even though from the footprints on the door people had tried, bins not emptied, no evidence of cleaning-eg bleach down toilet or the smell of cleaning agents, towels not hung up, dirty skirting boards and grouting. One poorly designed bathroom where it was impossible to stand upright and showers had to be taken kneeling down, a sloping shelf where your own perfumes, aftershaves etc slipped off into the toilet pan when the room steamed up- the list goes on.
The bedrooms themselves were totally neglected, and the list of complaints wouldpotentially fill trip adviser! As a sample of the problems as a cross section across the three rooms:
Two double mattresses piled onto a king sized frame, tired and dilapidated furniture stained by kettle and cup rings, filthy skirting boards, painted over windows that could not be opened firemen be warned!) paltry and minimal tea and coffee offerings, a kettle that had to be used on the floor as the lead was too short to reach a plug from the safety of a table top, as it didn't switch itself off, it made it hazardous bending over steam to turn it off, curtains hanging off the rail, plug socket hanging from the wall and clogged with cobwebs and gunge ( Firemen beware again!) In one bedroom, the triple side mirror swung forward and smashed into things on the dressing table as the kettle was being used to hold it back. There was little evidence of effective cleaning in the bedrooms or indeed anywhere in the hotel.
In the restaurant, the cutlery stuck interestingly to the film of gunge on the table top, someone else reported this on 16th September 2012, so nothing has changed. The food was passable most of the time, although two meals were very overcooked and people's food was not always served at the same time. Indeed one breakfast, after a 40 minute wait didn't arrive at all, so one of our party had to eat at another local establishment as we couldn't afford another wait!
The cranberry juice at breakfast tasted of chicken, and the orange juice had a distinctly chemical taste and smell -one mouthful was enough for us. My dietary bread that I had taken with me, and which was stored in the hotel fridge also came back to me smelling of the same peculiar smell., The rest of my party checked the smell too. I did not eat my bread.
At checkout, we were behind two other groups of people who were vigorously complaining to Carlos. When we spoke to him about our concerns, he was totally uninterested. He had previously been asked when he had bought the hotel and he had replied 5 years ago, he then denied this- in front of the people he had confirmed it with as he said he had no authority to give discounts or deal with complaints, which was not correct as he had done just that with the party ahead of us.
When I complained about the lack of value for money, he off handedly replied that he'd sent me an email with the costs, to which I replied that the costs had been for three superior double rooms which we had clearly not been given. He handed me some literature and said that if I wished to complain the details were in there. When I looked later it was simply a pamphlet for the three Traditional Hotels with no umbrella organisation to contact to complain. Beware of a hotel that has no Systematic Complaints procedure, which is obligitory for a three star establishment which this hotel advertises itself as.
I, and the rest of my party found his attitude rude, offensive and insulting with scant regard for customer satisfaction or care. From the comments of over 70 other people who have written on Trip Adviser this opinion is shared.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hermione87
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed here whilst visiting a customer nearby.

Goodpoints:
Cheap - I paid £55 per night for B&B
Parking available right outside
Old hooky ale served at the bar

Bad points:
Old tired rooms and in general in need of some modernisation
TV did not work, and they give you the remote on check in, yeah great that's just what I need, something else to lug up the 3 flights of stairs with my case, suit carrier and laptop bag!
Poor shower, if you want something more powerful than the dribble that you get here, then I suggest waiting until it rains!
Staff - not very friendly at all, with the exception of the foreign waiter at breakfast. The manager, who was south African I believe, made me feel about as welcome as a ham sandwich at a Jewish wedding! Not polite or friendly!
When booking online, I asked that my company name be listed on the invoice for VAT purposes, again I asked on check in so I was quite annoyed when they gave me my invoice on checkout with no company name!!! So I was held up while they added this and re-printed it!
The place is a rabbit warren of stairs and corridors, so good luck in finding your room!

I wont be staying again!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed at the Crown Hotel in Brackley over the week end to go to silverstone with my wife and friends. The hotel is 10 minutes from the track which made it an ideal location. The rooms were very nicely decorated modern but also keeping its character. The staff and management were very professional and attentive. Breakfast was served cooked to order which was very nice and there was also a selection of pastries, fruit, cereals and you could help yourself to toast. Dinner was also very good we ate there both nights and there was a great atmosphere in the bar and in the restaurant. we have already booked for next year!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brackley
Travelodge Bicester hotel
Travelodge Bicester Cherwell Valley M40
Best Western Buckingham Hotel
Premier Inn Banbury (M40, J11) Hotel
Cartwright Hotel
Cartwright Hotel
#1 of 1 in Aynho
Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!