“If you value your sleep don't stay here!”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brackley
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The worse nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel.
Mattress very soft with roll together. The beds looks like they had come out of a skip, I did not dare look at the mattresses. You could hear every word people spoke from rooms next door. Doors slammed and the sitting area below our window had an appliance that sounded like a tractor running all night.
I will leave you with this though, the info book in the room said.. 'There is a £100 fine for soiling the sheets'.

Room Tip: Don't think there is one...we heard other people complaining.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

On our recent MOTOGP weekend we stayed at the Crown Hotel Brackley. Struggled to get anyone to come to reception despite ringing the bell, eventually went to the bar and got the barman to find someone. The Manager was only interested in getting paid before we got the room key. The room was dirty, never been dusted. There were no 'in case of fire' instructions posted in the room. The bed was only about one foot from the floor while the bedside table leaned more than the leaning tower of Pisa; you dare not put a cup of tea on the table for fear it would slide off. Although there were instructions on how to call room to room, or to call reception, there was no telephone installed. The main light came on when it felt like it, but never when we wanted it.
Bar/restaurant are had several weeks or months of dust on unused surfaces. Breakfast was greasy, undercooked sausage, had to almost plead for more butter.The Manager on departure didn't bother asking if we had enjoyed our stay, guess he's used to being told NO. I could go on.
For £110 per night it's disgusting.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed here with my dad while we went to the MotoGP for the weekend and we had two very differing experiences, booking two single rooms for the weekend. I was in the annexe section in the back of the building (room 26) and it was generally fairly quiet and I wasn't really disturbed too much. There was some noise from people sitting outside drinking, but this was just chatting and ended at about 11pm and then again at about midnight when the people upstairs came in - they sounded like a herd of elephants! But they soon settled down. My dad was in the main building on the second floor (Room 31) and he was constantly disturbed by noise: the chiming of the clock in the square, the noisy; drunks coming out of The Red Lion across the road at 1am (even though they are supposed to close at 11pm; and a noisy fan or some sort of generator running all night in the room next door. he did have earplugs, which helped, but would recommend that you ask for a room in the back if at all possible - the room I had was also much bigger and more accessible as the stairs to the second floor were very steep and the ceilings low, although you would expect this from a building of this age. I think we were just surprised how lively this little market town was at night in terms of drunken revellers and night life!

Another criticism was that breakfasts were not served until 8am and if you are planning a trip to Silverstone, which many in this area will be, this is too late to allow you to get to the circuit and not be sitting in traffic, so we did not sample the breakfasts. We had hospitality at the circuit so this wasn't really an issue for us - but annoying when you have paid for B&B! They ought to have a room only option available given their location!

The bed in my room was reasonably OK - a little lumpy, and my dad said his was really uncomfortable. The rooms were clean enough with clean bedding. Also the tea and coffee allocation was incredibly stingy. I know I was a single person with two tea bags, two coffee sachets, four sugar sachets and two milk sachets - only enough for a cup of tea before bed and one in the morning!

To be honest their are probably better places to stay but as we were limited to due not receiving our tickets until late then beggars can't be choosers I suppose. The local Travel-lodge would probably have been quieter and better value and you don't pay for breakfast there if you don't want it.

The parking was in the market place or street (there was a small parking area out the back for about three cars) and you are only allowed three hours between the hours of 8am and 6pm - this wasn't really a problem for us as we arrived on Friday night at 8pm and did not get back from the circuit until about 5pm on Saturday and we had left by 7.30am both mornings.

I won't be going back unless I have to and to be honest I would probably prefer a couple of nights camping!

Room Tip: I was in 26 in the annexe so I would ask for a room at the back if you want to sleep! The market pla...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 September 2013

On our resent Moto Gp weekend we stayed at the Crown Hotel in Brackley.
After reading previous reviews we were a little worried and anxious but we needn't have been as it wasn't as bad as it was portrayed, don't get me wrong 5 star its not but then its not claiming to be there is plenty of room for modernisation and improvement . The staff on a whole were friendly and helpful, My room was expectable, the shower was hot but you couldn't turn it on full as it filled the shower tray up and would over fill and flood the bathroom ,We had tea and coffee available in the room as well toiletries.parking at the rear of Hotel was a bit hit and miss but not to bad on a whole. Breakfast was ok i didn't eat at night so would be unfair to comment.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I were attending a friends party. Everything seemed ok on checking in, although the staff seemed very disinterested. On gaining access to our room, an unsuitably maintained door plate, which was sticking out, caught on my husbands shirt ripping the sleeve. I complained to the manager who said if I emailed him, showing me the address I could claim some recompense for the shirt. They did give me a sewing kit to make a temporary repair, however.
Whilst there, we tried to make tea in the room but the cups were dirty. The lighting was limited and lamps were placed so that they could not be plugged in. The bed was comfortable though.

When I emailed with photos to outline my claim, I received no answer, no further answer when contacting over the next few weeks, which is rude. I would expect good maintenance in a hotel that wishes customers to return, but this was met with lethargy and a couldn't careless attitude. What's more they lied as they had no intention of reimbursing us!

Room Tip: Don't go here spend your money somewhere that wants the business. The room was over priced too.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paula F
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Friendly, helpful staff in this formerly splendid home now a characterful pub with accommodation. Uncomfortable bed and banging front door kept us awake til 4am. Adequate bar food for evening meal, although slow service probably due to wedding reception happening simultaneously. Wouldn't stay again but location perfect for our needs (Silverstone).

Reviewed 11 August 2013

A friendly welcome when we arrived and enquired for a room and booked the last available for that night. The room was very clean with comfortable beds. The restaurant was excellent and thoroughly recommend the steak as it was cooked to perfection as was the rest of the food. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheener2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brackley
10 mi away
Travelodge Buckingham
Travelodge Buckingham
#2 of 4 in Buckingham
Best Western Buckingham Hotel

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!