“Show without substance” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Herstmonceux B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Show without substance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

What a beautiful setting and a very friendly welcome. I had booked a special room for a couple of nights and when we entered it all looked delightful. Sally had greeted us by taking our credit card details and took us upstairs. I struggled with my case and bits. She showed us how to open and shut the curtains with a cord! And how the TV would swivel on its stand. We also had a power shower over the bath. Bliss! Breakfast is up to 09.30.

Left on our own to unpack I noticed a tray under the bed. Oh! It's for our shoes. I decided to shower. Amazing power but no adequate means of keeping the water in the bath. I now have a wet room. And where oh where do I hang the towel. The TV seems a good spot! The following morning we hare down for breakfast just in time and it is superb hot and tasty tho non of the black pepper mills work. And I finish with a toasted croissant, a new one on me.

This is an idyllic setting and with a few tweaks would be wonderful. But we had a good giggle.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed last weekend at this delightful country house, the room was excellent we had the balcony room with a lovely view over the Pevensey levels to the South Downs. We found after being there for an hour the stresses of the week and the drive just evaporated. The owners were very accommodating and helpful without being in any way intrusive, the Breakfasts were superb and all in all we found this to be excellent. It is an excellent base from which to explore the Sussex countryside or go to Glyndebourne the local taxi service was first class and the Sundial restaurant in Herstmonceaux was as good as you will find anywhere, we had one of the best meals we have eaten in years in a lovely setting with good service.

Room Tip: Go for the Balcony Room it is a bit more expensive but the views and peacefulness well worth the ext...
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

We had a 9 day stay at Cleavers Lyng with our little son. The room was all we could hope for; big, clean and beautifully kept. The breakfast is of high quality. The service in general was more than expected. The owners are very helpful in every way possible. Cleavers Lyng is very idyllic placed in a quite part of the East Sussex country side, however it is not remote or disconnected from the rest of Sussex, which makes it a great place to stay and drive to what you may wish to see in Sussex. We would very much like to have another stay at Cleavers Lyng. Maybe next time it may just be mom and dad.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

We loved our stay at Cleavers Lyng.
The Top Suite is nicely decorated and offer plenty of space for our family with our daughter and our Golden Retriever Dog.
The breakfast is excellent.

Please look at the directions, its tugged away, off the villlage in very nice setting.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
cleaverslyng11, Owner at Cleavers Lyng, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Well that's a very fine review! Thank you very much, we did so enjoy your family visit , it is reviews like this that make the effort all worth while. PS Sofia (hope that is correct spelling) is a very special girl xx
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights at Cleavers Lyng and had a wonderful stay. Our room (the sunny room) was very comfortable and had lovely views. Breakfasts were delicious. We have recommended Cleavers Lyng to family and friends and wished we could have stayed longer.

Anita & Alan - Worcester Park, Surrey

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

A beautiful location, lovely gardens, but disappointing interior. The bedroom was small for the price with open lovre doors to the ensuite giving very little privacy, inappropriate! The hallway paintwork was peeling off and the decor generally needed attention. It's a pity because it was a really peaceful break.

4 Thank Sally G
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stunning location & garden.

Room not as clean as would have liked. Bedroom mirror needed a good clean, bedside table drawers, and fridge. Bathroom needed an upgrade , damp all around the shower unit. Actually kept bathroom door closed as there was a smell of damp.

As a regular b&b user - v surprised by the high ratings.

4 Thank la_greeno
cleaverslyng11, Owner at Cleavers Lyng, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Alan and Tania
I am so sorry that Cleavers Lyng did not come up to your expectations. I feel that had you have been able to stay for the 3 nights instead of only staying the 2 nights due to your illness that you would not have been so unhappy, especially with the overall charge. I know that being charged for 3 nights when you only stay 2 is a bit galling. However you called late afternoon to say you would not be arriving due to illness and that you would come the next morning instead. The booking came in via a on-line booking agent and we do have to pay them a very hefty commission, and we do not get a refund hence why we charge the full amount for late cancellations that are made via a booking agent. Had this booking been made direct to our web site we would have been in a position to give you a substantial discount. IT is not acceptable that the bedroom mirror and bedside table drawers were a little dusty, I checked the drawers and one did have a little dust at the back in one corner and this has been corrected, the drawers are cleaned regularly of course and it is unfortunate that you found the dust.( We will also arrange to have these re-lined, I think that this would make the appearance of the inside more pleasing) Our main house keeper was informed and she is also feeling terrible that you found the dust, and the mirror was not as clean as you would have liked, if you come again we would be very happy to give to you on the house a bottle of chilled champagne in your room or gardens which I do hope will make amends for this oversight. I would however mention that I did say to you on arrival that if there was anything that you did not like to mention it to me and I would sort out the problem.
As far as the bathroom is concerned, it does not and has never smelt of damp, it is a large light, airy bathroom with a large window that opens to fresh air, I think you have slightly over exaggerated this due to your overall disappointment, ( also the shower door weather closed or open would make no difference since the entire top of the shower is open since it does not go to the height of the ceiling) it is unfortunate for us however that the day you left my husband had sorted the issue of a small amount of mold that had formed on the back of some new sealer, that was put on just a couple of weeks previously, he had used the wrong sealing compound, which was not the bathroom sealer, the mold was at the back of the sealer so no amount of scrubbing would get rid of it, anyhow as I said this was a issue which was sorted on the day of your departure. My sincere apologies for this issue, which I can understand myself you would not have liked, I can assure you that normally our showers are squeaky clean and I think that you would now approve, it does make all the difference I know.
I am glad to see that you did not have a problem with your sleep quality and the location, I know you spent some considerable time in the room or on the Balcony, so that at least I hope came up to your expectations.
As I have already informed you , I am very happy to give you a substantial discount on any future booking that you may make providing it is made directly, which in some way may go towards your disappointment at being charged for the 3 nights. Although these bad reviews give me sleepless nights, I can and will take it on the chin that on this occasion , due to the shower issue your review would not have come in as top notch. As I said this has now been rectified so any future guests need not worry about this issue. I do hope you both consider another visit to us, I can assure you that I will do everything in my power to make your stay as comfortable and a happy one as possible. Sally Simpson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herstmonceux
The Boship Lions Hotel
The Cooden Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bexhill-on-Sea
Premier Inn Eastbourne Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Eastbourne (Polegate) Hotel

Been to Cleavers Lyng? Share your experiences!