Cleavers Lyng
US$139
Hotels.com
US$90
PremierInn.com
The Cooden Beach Hotel(Bexhill-on-Sea)
US$196
Travelocity
Premier Inn Eastbourne Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$90
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Eastbourne Willingdon Drove(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$64
US$58
Chalk Farm Hotel(Willingdon)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbalcony roomfour posterpeaceful locationbeautiful housefrench roomcomfortable bedfull englishold houserelaxing staycountry laneguest housestayed here for one nightother guestsomelettebreakfasts were greatworth the extra moneylarge bottle of water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 December 2013

we stayed recently for 2 nights,had a lovely welcome from sally,showed us to our room which was fantastic 4 poster, as im an avid fan of "four in a bed"program i jokingly put my finger along the sides of the four poster & what a shame it was thick dust on both sides! and then on having a shower noticed the light above mirror was abit grimey & had flies in it,apart from these things everything was brilliant,the cooked breakfast was spot on & as i said on leaving we have stayed in many,many hotels & B&B's and this is the 1st one where i felt totally relaxed & not like i was intruding in someones home,i would say sally has it spot on so thankyou very much & keep up the good work,im sure we will be back oneday soon.

Room Tip: the 4 poster was very comfortable spacewise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane L
cleaverslyng11, Owner at Cleavers Lyng, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for your review, it is a shame we did not quite hit all of the marks, we do have a cleaning schedule and the Top of the Four Poster Bed is on it, to be dusted at the end of each month, I guess we need to up this to every other week, I will let the House Keeper know and keep my eye on it. I wish you had of mentioned it to me on your arrival and I would have put this right straight away for you. Still I guess you enjoy the public forum side of being a Hotel Inspector at least you did not slate the owner ! Generally it is a good review so thank you for that.
Please let me know if you are coming again and advise me of your dust problem and I will try to make it up to you in some way.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Arrived late - had the whole top floor for the four of us.

Very difficult to find in the dark, even with SatNav.

Fine place, very old building. If I was going to say a minus, the pressure of water at the top of the house was such that only a dribble came out of the shower. Someone with long thick hair that needed washing would have to have spent at least 30 minutes washing and rinsing.

Very nice cooked breakfast.

At 160 pounds for one night for 2 adults and 2 children, the price is quite high.

Room Tip: Check route beforehand.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

We are off the beaten track although having said that just 1.5 miles down a country lane from the main A271. One of the main reasons our customers come back to us time after time is the fact we are set in a tranquil and peaceful position, we do not have street lighting or busy passing traffic since we are set at the end of a dead end road. A lot of other accommodation providers locally to us are set on the busy A271 which does not give you the quite solitude you get here. Please feel free to ring me for directions .
The Top room suite , has a very large master bedroom with a 36" flat screen TV double aspect windows and a super king bed. It has a separate sitting room TV. A large family bathroom. Then another separate bedroom with a double bed and a single bed also with flat screen TV. I think that for the amount of space you get this offers good value which includes breakfast,. Actually had you of booked with us directly the price would have been £145 for 4 people. The price you paid must have been via a booking agent, where the price is set for upto 5 people.
We do have to pay them a 20% commission as well so I do believe that this is still good value for this type of accommodation.
The pressure on the bath shower mixer is very low indeed since you are at the top of the house, I should have mentioned this to you, I apologize if I forgot. You need to use the electric shower in the bath to rinse hair and then you would have no problem at all with the water pressure.
Apart from your issues with our location etc. I am glad to see that you enjoyed everything else with your stay, I do hope we get to meet you all again one of these days.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

The owner was very helpful and we had a room overlooking the beautiful countryside. We only wish that it had been summer as the rooms get rather cold at night. The breakfast was the best we have ever received in either a B&B or hotel. As someone else said it was like staying in a home, there was plenty of room to sit and have a chat and drink in front of a log fire. The bedding and towels were a very good quality. Beware the sat nav's take you down some very narrow and dirty lanes.

Room Tip: "Sunny" room has a good view with a king size bed but the shower room is rather small. Very quiet at night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Cleavers Lyng.
The Sunny Room is our smallest double room, however it does have a king size bed and beautiful views. Hence why this room is the cheapest in our price range. WE have very many people coming back to this room year after year so do not be put off by the small shower room. The bedroom is not actually that small either.
My concern is that you felt cold during the night, once we get to the cold season or cooler temperature we leave the heating on all night, the rooms get rather hot which is why we have thermostatic control on the radiators. I cannot remember when you came to stay but I can only apologize if we failed to turn on the night time heating for you, please always tell us if you are feeling a little chilly, we can always provide extra heating if necessary. We close here anyhow during the worst of the winter months , December, Jan and February and sometimes during November. I do hope we get to meet you again and this time keep you toasty warm.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This place was superb. My initial and continuing feeling was that we had just walked into someone's house (I know that is actually the case but bear with me!), we had a very warm welcome by the owner and entered into a stunning dining area. Now the reason I say it felt like someone's home is that the only things to hint that it was a B&B were some local event leaflets on a windowsill and a TripAdvisor certificate on a display cabinet. Apart from that, there was no indication that this was a B&B and in my opinion; that is great! It was like we had be welcomed into someone's home rather than them just receiving our custom.

We we told honest information about the local places to eat and visit and in the room was a big binder with further information on places.
The room was gorgeous (and now the other half wants a Four Poster bed) and well stocked with "niceties" (toiletries, tea, coffee, biscuits, mints, bottled water).
The house itself is stunning and outside has a lovely little seating area to stare out over the fields.
Would definitely recommend and if we ever stay in the area again, we will be staying there!

Room Tip: The Four Poster bed is lush!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin_Reid

Thank you for taking the time to write your nice review, thank goodness we at least get some reviews with 5 stars, we get hundreds of people staying each year and raving about Cleavers Lyng and do not write a review so it is good to see one that ticks all the boxes. We hope to see you again one of these days.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed for two nights and enjoyed the location and found the room comfortable and breakfast generous. However, two little niggles maybe worth a mention......As soon as we arrived we were asked to settle up which we thought a little strange. The lady owner appeared rather cold towards us and kept the conversation at breakfast as brief as possible! Otherwise a very nice place to relax and unwind in a lovely setting.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

I am sorry that you found me lukewarm in my welcome, I find this strange since I thought I gave the same welcome to everybody and when you read our guest book , nearly every comment is very friendly hosts etc. etc. I often have very long chats with guests and always welcome a good conversation with all of the interesting people we get here at Cleavers Lyng.
I am beginning to think that I need to do a song and dance act now on customers arrival to make it that little more special !Breakfast is a especially busy time and I do not always have the time to have long chats, and a lot of people prefer to relax at breakfast without being disturbed. But seriously if this is the way I made you feel I am really very very sorry for this, believe me I have had many a sleepless night because of your review, and it has taken me time to respond to it, because I have been really upset by it, it is never nice to have something written about yourself on a so very public forum.
As far as the payment is concerned , this always a problem whichever way we do it, some Hotels, B&Bs charge in advance of the guests arrival, some at the end of the stay and we have found that charging on arrival is the best way, the reason being is that our busiest night is normally a Saturday and most time guests check out on a Sunday morning, the busiest breakfast day, some people like to eat breakfast early and then leave early, this can often be at the same time as we are trying to serve breakfasts, the guests waiting for breakfast to be served get impatient waiting for guest checking out and the guests wanting to check out feel awkward paying in front of people eating especially if their card gets rejected (which happens a lot) or if there is a query with the bill, so we now charge at the beginning of the stay so that the guests gets privacy when paying, can have time to digest the bill and on leaving has not got the problem of paying with other guests around. I hope that this explanation helps you to understand why we do it this way.
Other then that I am pleased that everything else was to your liking. I do hope we can meet again to that I can redeem myself in your eyes - I hope !