“enjoyable stay”

The Strathardle Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Kirkmichael B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here for overnight stay, made very welcome on arrival and throughout the stay the staff were very pleasant, attentive, and helpful. Nice room with decent facilities and good bed. Food was good, evening meal wasgood albeit we had the Fish and chips from the bar menu which was a good large portion and very tasty.The breakfast was also a good scottish breakfast. In the end I left wishing we had booked an extra night. Is well siuated for Pilochry, GlenShee and Blairgowrie with Perth within easy driving distance. The hotel is olde world drovers inn style but the staff/owners made this stay worthwhile. Try it I think you'll enjoy it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Billfr0mSc0tland
There are newer reviews for The Strathardle Inn

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I purchased an itison deal for the Strathardle Inn, which cost me £39. For this amount of money, my only hope is that we get at least a comfortable nights sleep and if its a really nice place we have found a new place to return to in the future.
The hotel is a bit tatty around the edges but this didn't concern me as it is a place suitable for folk who are intending walking, shooting, fishing etc.
We had a lovely room at the front with great views across the countryside. I was a bit concerned that it was above the bar but hoped this wouldn't be a problem.
We were lucky enough to enjoy a drink in the beer garden, as the weather was lovely.
Given the remoteness of the hotel we opted to eat in. We reserved a table for 7.30pm in the dining room where, when we arrived there was only one other table occupied with eight people.
They have a menu but there is also a blackboard of specials in the bar. I went through to the bar to read the board and there was a table of people dining in there. I noticed they were having fish and chips and it looked delicious so I ordered this and my husband ordered haggis, neeps and tatties. We then have a really long wait for the food to arrive, almost an hour.
While we were waiting, the party at the other table was served and I noticed one of the children had chosen a children’s portion of haggis. When our food eventually arrived, my husbands dish of haggis was an extremely small portion, actually smaller than the child's sitting at the next table. My fish was also much smaller in comparison to the fish that had been served to other diners, and I was served mushy peas, which I cannot stand instead of the garden peas that I had ordered. We were a little bemused by this but as we had waited so long for it to arrive we ate it regardless. My husband also found his meal a little dry and was grateful for the gravy, which accompanied it. My fish and chips was fine apart from the peas, but despite the small fish I felt compelled to share it with my husband as his meal was finished long before mine.
We were then shown a board with desserts, and I chose bread and butter pudding and my husband chose sticky toffee pudding, which came at a staggering price of £6.95. When he asked if it came with ice cream, he was told it didn't and if he wanted some, it would be extra.
We did laugh while we were waiting, wondering what the final bill would be for this dessert, given that our main courses were only £9.95.
When the pudding arrived, it didn't look very spectacular at all and was in fact hard, dry and inedible and had to be returned to the kitchen. Although the waitress did apologise, at no point did anyone come with an explanation for this, nor was he offered anything else.
My dessert was okay but I have had better, and it was certainly not worth the £5.95 price tag.
When we went through to the bar we paid our bill to another member of staff and although we didn't pay for the returned dessert again no mention was made of the fact the meal was spoiled by this.
Totally fed up by all this we had a drink in the bar then went to our room. Unfortunately although the bar was in no way busy when we left, I was kept awake by music and chatting going on until 1am from below.
Breakfast is served from 8am, so keen to be on our way to our next destination and worried that breakfast would take as long as dinner to be served, we went down to the dining room just before 8. We were served by the same waitress, who I must say was the friendliest person we encountered throughout our stay, and thankfully breakfast was served swiftly. We both had a cooked breakfast and it was perfectly adequate but nothing special.
I know our B&B only cost £39 but if we had enjoyed our stay in the hotel we would have returned at full cost but unfortunately this will not be the case following this experience.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is our fourth visit and we never tire of being there. Great food. Lovely rooms. We can now sit in residents lounge where the owners specially put on a log fire.
It was so cosy I could have relaxed there all night long.

Room Tip: Sorry but couldntt remove the rating for room service or swimming pool. Cant comment on room service...
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here as part of an itison deal, a gift from family. It was a very warm friendly and genuine welcome. We enjoyed a couple of drinks in front of an open fire in the bar, the owner advised we could eat in the bar where there might be a few locals in with their dogs or in the restaurant. We opted for the bar and enjoyed the company of three well behaved friendly dogs with their owners. The food was excellent and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. We enjoyed the spacious room and had a first class breakfast again served by friendly staff. We thought that it was very good value and drove out of the car park agreeing it was a very good night despite the fact it was quite remote and would have no hesitation recommending a stay here to any of our friends. We wish the relatively new owners every success in the future and look forward to a return visit sometime soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed at the Strathardle Inn as part of an Itison deal. We could not fault the hospitality. Excellent food & drink and comfortable room (6). We'd recommend having an evening meal in the cosy bar which is dog friendly. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. The Cullen Skink was particularly good, but beware, it is quite filling.

The drive from the hotel to Pitlochry is spectacular and the opportunity to visit the Edradour Distillery is well worth it.

Room Tip: Room 6 is located on the corner and is bright and sunny all day with lovely views.
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I booked a stay at this 'hotel' as the photographs portrayed a lovely, clean hotel/B&B. How wrong I was.

We arrived quite early, so were not able to check in, which was fine - we went to nearby Pitlochry for a wander and when we returned the room was ready.

The room was set away from the main building, and at first glance was clean and freshly decorated. However, on closer inspection, the room was pretty grubby/unfinished. There were cobwebs in both the toilet and main room!

There were tea making facilities, however the kettle had to be plugged in to a socket at floor level, leaving the kettle to sit either on the floor, or on the chair - very dangerous if you have children!

The room was also very cold - there were radiators, however the did not seem hot enough to heat the room. This must be a frequent complaint as there was an additional heater that we had to plug in. I wasn't keen to leave this on overnight in case of fire, therefore I spent a very cold night shivering. I went to use the toilet during the night to be greeted by a huge SLUG on the floor - yuck. I have no idea where it came from, but there must be a ago somewhere in the toilet.

We went for dinner in the bar at around 630 to be greeted with 5 dogs! Not my cup of tea at all. The owner said that this is the norm in country pubs, and to be fair she did offer to seat us in. The adjacent dining room, however this was empty, so we decided to stick with the bar. We managed to get a table beside the window - and furthest away from the dogs - however there were some couples who literally had other peoples dogs at their feet! Not very hygienic when eating dinner at all.

I had fish and chips and my OH had steak. Both were ok.

I would only recommend this place to people who do not mind basic accommodation - perhaps I am fussy but I prefer clean rooms minus the cobwebs/dust and fear of scalding - and those who are very fond of dogs!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Miss_honey1
Reviewed 21 March 2014

we stayed here overnight food was great drinks were good the owners made you feel welcome very chatty .a log fire on the go in the bar and we went into the front lounge where they had a big tv to watch and anothe log fire .our room was out of the hotel in the converted barns i think but they were very big clean room 7 needs a new mattress in the double bed as it was very lumpy woke up a few times and had to turn over :( breakfast was lovely

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkmichael
Bridge of Cally Hotel
#2 of 3 in Braemar
The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
#10 of 18 in Pitlochry

Been to The Strathardle Inn? Share your experiences!