“Great place in Perthshire”

The Strathardle Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Kirkmichael B&B and Inns
Dumfries, Scotland
“Great place in Perthshire”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed in the Strathardle for a couple of nights, very welcoming and the owners are obviously trying to provide good food and accommodation in a quiet part of Perthshire.... and happily succeeding. Well kitted out for fieldsports as well as general tourist visiting, good bar and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here the night before The Etape cycle race from Pitlochry.
Hotel was very welcoming from the fresh shortbread taken up to the room when we got there.
Food was delicious, we ate in the bar and expected the usual bar food however the food was of a much higher standard.
The owner got up especially to lay out breakfast for the cyclists at 5am (not a cooked breakfast) but you wouldn't want one before an 81 mile cycle!! and they were welcome to go back to the hotel for a shower afterwards
My breakfast at a more friendly time of 9am was delicious (good choice of cooked items) each table setting had a personal plate of fruit, cheese and meat.
The room we were in was spacious, warm and comfortable
I would definitely recommend this hotel and we will certainly be back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Valerie T
Singapore
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have just had a large family gathering at the Strathardle Inn. We booked all available rooms and throughout our stay, which was not for the happiest of reasons, we were made welcome and treated excellently. Nothing was too much trouble, all the downstairs rooms had real fires lit resulting in a cosy and pleasant atmosphere.
The menu was extensive and the food was very good, not least because the service was outstanding.
The rooms are clean and cosy and the setting a magnificent example of Scottish countryside.
If you're looking for high end amenities this many not be the place for you. If, however, you are looking for a delightful little family/dog friendly place then get booking.
Thank you all for making such a sad time so much more pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Annieedge65
Bishopton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for overnight stay, made very welcome on arrival and throughout the stay the staff were very pleasant, attentive, and helpful. Nice room with decent facilities and good bed. Food was good, evening meal wasgood albeit we had the Fish and chips from the bar menu which was a good large portion and very tasty.The breakfast was also a good scottish breakfast. In the end I left wishing we had booked an extra night. Is well siuated for Pilochry, GlenShee and Blairgowrie with Perth within easy driving distance. The hotel is olde world drovers inn style but the staff/owners made this stay worthwhile. Try it I think you'll enjoy it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Billfr0mSc0tland
Scotland
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I purchased an itison deal for the Strathardle Inn, which cost me £39. For this amount of money, my only hope is that we get at least a comfortable nights sleep and if its a really nice place we have found a new place to return to in the future.
The hotel is a bit tatty around the edges but this didn't concern me as it is a place suitable for folk who are intending walking, shooting, fishing etc.
We had a lovely room at the front with great views across the countryside. I was a bit concerned that it was above the bar but hoped this wouldn't be a problem.
We were lucky enough to enjoy a drink in the beer garden, as the weather was lovely.
Given the remoteness of the hotel we opted to eat in. We reserved a table for 7.30pm in the dining room where, when we arrived there was only one other table occupied with eight people.
They have a menu but there is also a blackboard of specials in the bar. I went through to the bar to read the board and there was a table of people dining in there. I noticed they were having fish and chips and it looked delicious so I ordered this and my husband ordered haggis, neeps and tatties. We then have a really long wait for the food to arrive, almost an hour.
While we were waiting, the party at the other table was served and I noticed one of the children had chosen a children’s portion of haggis. When our food eventually arrived, my husbands dish of haggis was an extremely small portion, actually smaller than the child's sitting at the next table. My fish was also much smaller in comparison to the fish that had been served to other diners, and I was served mushy peas, which I cannot stand instead of the garden peas that I had ordered. We were a little bemused by this but as we had waited so long for it to arrive we ate it regardless. My husband also found his meal a little dry and was grateful for the gravy, which accompanied it. My fish and chips was fine apart from the peas, but despite the small fish I felt compelled to share it with my husband as his meal was finished long before mine.
We were then shown a board with desserts, and I chose bread and butter pudding and my husband chose sticky toffee pudding, which came at a staggering price of £6.95. When he asked if it came with ice cream, he was told it didn't and if he wanted some, it would be extra.
We did laugh while we were waiting, wondering what the final bill would be for this dessert, given that our main courses were only £9.95.
When the pudding arrived, it didn't look very spectacular at all and was in fact hard, dry and inedible and had to be returned to the kitchen. Although the waitress did apologise, at no point did anyone come with an explanation for this, nor was he offered anything else.
My dessert was okay but I have had better, and it was certainly not worth the £5.95 price tag.
When we went through to the bar we paid our bill to another member of staff and although we didn't pay for the returned dessert again no mention was made of the fact the meal was spoiled by this.
Totally fed up by all this we had a drink in the bar then went to our room. Unfortunately although the bar was in no way busy when we left, I was kept awake by music and chatting going on until 1am from below.
Breakfast is served from 8am, so keen to be on our way to our next destination and worried that breakfast would take as long as dinner to be served, we went down to the dining room just before 8. We were served by the same waitress, who I must say was the friendliest person we encountered throughout our stay, and thankfully breakfast was served swiftly. We both had a cooked breakfast and it was perfectly adequate but nothing special.
I know our B&B only cost £39 but if we had enjoyed our stay in the hotel we would have returned at full cost but unfortunately this will not be the case following this experience.

Renfrew, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is our fourth visit and we never tire of being there. Great food. Lovely rooms. We can now sit in residents lounge where the owners specially put on a log fire.
It was so cosy I could have relaxed there all night long.

Room Tip: Sorry but couldntt remove the rating for room service or swimming pool. Cant comment on room service...
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here as part of an itison deal, a gift from family. It was a very warm friendly and genuine welcome. We enjoyed a couple of drinks in front of an open fire in the bar, the owner advised we could eat in the bar where there might be a few locals in with their dogs or in the restaurant. We opted for the bar and enjoyed the company of three well behaved friendly dogs with their owners. The food was excellent and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. We enjoyed the spacious room and had a first class breakfast again served by friendly staff. We thought that it was very good value and drove out of the car park agreeing it was a very good night despite the fact it was quite remote and would have no hesitation recommending a stay here to any of our friends. We wish the relatively new owners every success in the future and look forward to a return visit sometime soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkmichael
Dalmunzie Castle
Atholl Palace Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
Lands of Loyal Hotel
The Invercauld Arms Hotel

Been to The Strathardle Inn? Share your experiences!