“Y Spa? Because you can!”

Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wyboston
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Y Spa? Because you can!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Fantastic place. simples! A bit of a nightmare to get to as not really overly well signposted (well I didn't think so anyway!)
Not the best looking building, and one person in our party did say they were hoping it was ok...but...she was blown away when we went inside. Lovely décor, great space and very well executed indeed. Extremely friendly staff, plenty of them and attentive but not in your face obvious. Large, fluffy gowns and amazing showers, spa area and lots of interesting spa rooms to try out. Not pretentious, just very easy and relaxed. Outdoor pool a total bonus we were not expecting and I think it made our day! Lunch was really tasty - plenty of it and lovely and nutritious. Great views from the restaurant over the lake. Plenty to choose from and for two pure vegetarians in our party - smiles all round. Treatments were included in our package and the facial was amazing. I nearly staged a protest after and refused to move off the massage table - LOL! Gemma lovely and totally professional. The most relaxing facial I have had in a very long time. All in all a fab day out in a well run, spotless, spa. A group of six ladies will be back very soon indeed!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank happybunny13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I have just returned from a short stay at the Wyboston lakes Hotel and have stayed there before a few times. Generally, previous visits have been in warmer periods. The main problem I want to comment on is the need to exit the accommodation block to access the reception and dining/bar areas. When it's cold, wet and miserable it is very off-putting having to "go outside" in order to access a function. I have commented to the hotel management, both after this recent visit and previously, but to no avail!!
The rooms are good and so is the food, except that the breakfast is usually cold when it is supposed to be hot. Staff are excellent!

Room Tip: Ask for an executive room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We went to this hotel on a special offer for our anniversary. The spa itself was one of the best I have visited in the UK, although it was small but not over crowded. The outside pool/jacuzzi was wonderful although small any more than twenty people and it would have been a bit close for comfort!

The waterbeds were a lovely treat (if you manage to chose a time when the other beds don't contain slightly noisier sleepers! ) , my husband chose the pods to read and surprisingly it was very quiet.

The steam rooms and sauna were all very clean and again not over crowded.the changing rooms were fab loads of space a plenty of fluffy white towels. This really was a very high class spa, the treatments are quite pricy but worth it. I had the deep tissue massage, the rooms was quiet and warm and very "spa" like, only criticism was I was not offered a glass of water, just sent on my way.

The food. When I was told it was a buffet breakfast I was a bit worried as I am not really a buffet fan, however there was plenty of choice and you need some will power to resist the naughty food and stick to a salad! The evening meal again was a pleasant surprise, very gastro pub , although my fish was a bit on the greasy side, and the chef likes his shot glasses! Dessert spoon and chocolate mouse in a shot glass=half fat as you can't get it out! The triple cook chips were delicious just needed more as my husband kept stealing them! Jodie who looked after us was pleasant but not to over the top, and noticed I needed a t spoon to get to that mousse without being asked!

So why four not five stars! The accommodation, the rooms are adequate like a premier inn or travel lodge. We upgraded to an executive room, it had a bed and everything you expect from a hotel, but after setting the bar so high with the spa, the bedroom was a let down. The beds are very hard, I wondered if I could sneak down to the spa and use the water bed! After spending all that time relaxing and unwinding the bad nights sleep undid all the good work of the spa.

Don't let the location put you off the constant buzz of the overhead pylons can not be heard in the rooms, well at least ours was fine in the left hand block. To improve the overall experience I would suggested some mattress toppers if to costly to replace the beds, also soft beds aren't everyone's cup of tea. The bath is also a bit shallow, more like a washing up bowl so enjoy your soak in the spa as you won't get one in your bedroom.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have just returned from a weekend spa break with my two sisters and had a lovely time at Wyboston Lakes Hotel and Y Spa.

The hotel does not look anything special on the outside but all the detail and important bits are apparent as soon as you enter reception! The spa products smell greets you as you enter and the decor is really very nice.

The staff are very welcoming and friendly which is a really refreshing change from some hotels!

We unfortunately did not pre-book spa treatments prior to our arrival but the spa staff were so lovely and helpful and said that if there were any cancellations they would come and find us. As it turned out, there were a couple of cancellations and my two sisters were able to book treatments.

The spa director is a very lovely lady - so friendly, welcoming, helpful and obviously works extremely hard, long hours etc. We had an incredible time in the spa area, it was so relaxing and just what we needed. The spa cafe is lovely, afternoon tea looks delicious! The spa day lunch food is served in the Fountains restaurant and the choice was great. Lots of delicious and healthy food with an incredible chocolate dessert!

Our meals in the evening were taken in the Waterfront restaurant which has a great atmosphere and the staff again are so helpful and attentive. The guy (who I assume is the restaurant manager) is very funny and it is so nice to chat/laugh with people who clearly enjoy their job and take pride in ensuring guests are having a good time.

The food is really good and great choice. Steaks are included on the weekend deal with a £5 supplement but an absolute bargain!

The Waterfront bar is huge and really well laid out. (again, great friendly staff!)

I used the health and fitness centre opposite the hotel during my stay and the gym is great. Lots of cardio equipment, really good free-weights area, great motivating music and a nice temperature (air con is on! Which is needed when you are training) plus use of towel - all in all, very impressed.

Overall, we had a fantastic time - the food, spa and staff are worth raving about! We are looking forward to re-booking next year!

Thank you for making our girlie break so enjoyable!

Room Tip: The rooms are clean and well decorated with a huge bed! However, there is the wonderful spa, gym, ba...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Emma C
CSWybo, Spa Director at Wyboston Lakes Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Wow, thank you for your fabulous feedback.

It's always a fantastic boost to moral for the whole team here when we get such a glowing report, and I will ensure the hotel staff see your review.

I am thrilled that you and your sisters had a fantastic time with us and we look forward to seeing you again in 2014.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Tried to book a room for Spa stay for 3 friends their photos show a room with 3 beds however I was advised these rooms were only available for 2 adults and a child. When I asked why 3adults couldn't stay in the room I was advised it was because of health and safety reasons. I can't think what reason that would be and more so why would you take a child to a spa?? Really the only reason is so that they can charge the single supplement. How disappointing my friends and I have spa breaks throughout the year and around the county and have always been accommodated with rooms for three we won't be staying there and will visit a spa that meets customers needs

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sara M
CSWybo, Director of Operations, Hotel, Leisure & Spa at Wyboston Lakes Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
The photographs you are referring to show one double bed and a single bed, which are used by families that stay with us. I am sorry that you feel these photographs are misleading. Our bedroom facilities are part of our hotel which also incorporates our Spa. I am sorry that you and your friends felt unable to stay with us due to not being able to share one room.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my other half booked a hideaway spa stay which included one night stay in the hotel. First of all I would just like to say from visiting other spas before I had big expectations, however I was not disappointed one bit. We arrived at the hotel to attend our spa day to be told that our room was already available so we could take our bags there before going to the spa.
The hotel and spa receptionist were both informative and friendly so we were made to feel comfortable and relaxed before even entering the spa.
The spa was busy but never felt overcrowded and there's plenty of different rooms and relaxation beds for everyone.
The spa day included a 2 course lunch and 3 course dinner in the evening, and I have to say the food is amazing! The lunch was a buffet style with plenty of choice of salad and veg and the standard of food was lovely.
Overall even though the offer was amazing value I would definitely be prepared to pay full price and will most definetly be returning and recommending to friends!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah N
CSWybo, Spa Director at Wyboston Lakes Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for your fabulous review. I am delighted that you had a great time whilst you were with us and I hope you left the Spa feeling very pampered.

I will ensure that your comments are passed on to both our Spa staff and our Executive Chef.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

My best friend book us in for an afternoon tea and spa. We arrived and were a little confused as there was no clear sign as to where to go once at the car park so we just headed for the hotel instead reception instead. We were not staying at the hotel so did not know that the spa reception was just beyond the hotel main reception.
Once there tho, the place seemed lovely. Staff on reception were helpful and we were told to find Jonathan in the cafe so he could take us to where afternoon tea was being served.

The layout in the bar was nice. We had our drinks order taken and all seemed relaxed.

There was an issue with my food as I'm vegetarian and the order had not gone through to the kitchen so when the sandwiches arrived, it was not suitable for me. I explained the issue and the plate was taken away and told that we would need to wait a while even though no one else at this point was there for afternoon.
That was fine. However the new sandwiches never did appear. Another meat filled plate arrived by another server and we explained again but this lady did not listen and just left the plate there. I found this rather annoying. I'm not sure if the lady didn't understand or didn't care at this point.
We had the scones that were ok, not fantastic but just ok. The cream and jam were lovely though. The pecan tart was far too sweet and we left most of one and all of the other. The plain sponge cake was ok. The chocolate cake was nice but too sweet for me.
All in all, I had the two scones and friend had two scones, part of sandwich (a part not covered in salad cream at least as most did) and the two sponge cakes.
Not the best food I have to say.
However the spa itself was totally wonderful and I would totally go there again for that. The back massage I had was lovely.
The spa staff were lovely and the lady who showed us around was really nice and explained everything well.
I liked the lockers with the wristbands a clever idea! Also the pool was fab!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
CSWybo, Director of Operations Hotel, Spa & Leisure at Wyboston Lakes Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
I am sorry that you found it difficult to find your way to Spa reception, but I am glad the staff were helpful when you arrived.

It is so disappointing to read your comments regarding the care and attention that was lacking during your afternoon tea service. Your comments with regard to this and the food in general will be forwarded on to our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager for review and action.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyboston
Bedford Swan Hotel
#2 of 18 in Bedford
Premier Inn St. Neots (A1/Wyboston) Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor
Travelodge Bedford Wyboston

Been to Wyboston Lakes Hotel? Share your experiences!