“ySpa? Yes Please - Absolutely relaxing and wonderful 2 days!!”

Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wyboston
London
“ySpa? Yes Please - Absolutely relaxing and wonderful 2 days!!”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

After going to a few spa breaks of late with my girlfriend, comparison's are bound to be made and so far the best place we had visited was definitely Sopwell House in St. Albans,,,

When booking a spa break which suited our needs, such as the spa facilities, the thermal circuit (my brother recommended we definitely do this at a spa place which had it), breakfast, lunch and dinner included, a lovely jacuzzi, great treatments and to end the day on a relaxed note...a lovely bed/room. Wyboston Lakes ticked pretty much all the boxes on the surface, so what is my review now I have visited??? My girlfriend and I absolutely loved it!!!

When we drove up to Wyboston Lakes Hotel, we were very anxious due to the outside decor and the way the rooms looked more like chalets...however, we kept an open mind and entered the hotel. We arrived at 9.30am to get an early start to our day and give us enough time between our planned meals. We were greeted by a lovely receptionist called Agnes, who took our bags and informed us she would try and get us in to our room sooner and was very informative and reciprocating.

We then checked in to the ySpa reception, where we were given our blue wrist bands, which give you access to the full facilities and the lockers (to avoid carrying coins, etc), and we had our treatments confirmed for the following day. Initially the treatments were booked for different times for my girlfriend and I, however after a couple of minutes and some jigging around, we were told they will accommodate us both at the same time, which was perfect.

The changing rooms were extremely immaculate and welcoming, the lockers perfect and easy to use and all come with a bath robe and slippers, with unlimited use of towels. My brother had informed me that when using the thermal circuit, to maximize the experience, do the circuit following certain stages...and the ySpa reception have a booklet which also informs you of this. We picked up the booklet and followed the stages...going from hot to cold to hot, etc...and then relaxing by sleeping in the water beds or standard beds they provide in the chillout zone...

Every single room in this thermal spa was perfect, did exactly what it said on the door and really was perfect for our skin, sinus, and body. The hydrotherapy pool was absolutely amazing!!! We had to extend our stay within this pool for a wee bit longer as it was that good (including after lunch, where it really was romantic when the night arrives and lights turn on, and we even managed to have a glass of champagne each - a little personal touch)...My favourite room/section in the ySpa??? The "Mist room" I absolutely loved it in there...it smells of citrus and resembles a tropical rainforest with misty rain and really does make all the difference! The water beds were our last stop and let me tell you...you could be awake on a coffee high, but lay on this bed and within minutes you will be sold and dead to the world!! awesome way to end the thermal circuit.

We went to lunch at 1.30pm and the restaurant was lovely, great service, great etiquette and awesome, healthy lunch...so worth having that included in our day!We had dinner planned for 8.00pm and once again, great service and etiquette and if the food at lunch was anything to go by, I was excited...and we were not disappointed! My girlfriend is vegetarian and she had no issues at all.

We only had 1 downside to our break...and that was the rooms. They were reminiscent of TravelLodge rooms, and the double bed we had hoped for was a "zip and link" mattress, which really doesn't allow you to sleep in the middle comfortably.

We had our massage treatments on Saturday morning at 11am, so had breakfast before hand which was lovely. The Leisure facilities across the hotel were closed for some reason, so to enable us to shower and use the facilities, we asked the ySpa reception if we could be allowed to seeing as we were having an hour massage each, and they happily obliged. The massages were so amazing, I genuinely felt like I was floating. We were advised by the masseuse to use the thermal facilities in a certain order to maximize the blood flow, massage oils and body temperature regulation to truly relax us. We followed these instructions and could not have enjoyed this spa anymore, it truly left a lasting and lovely impression on both my girlfriend and I.

Improvements to suggest making this absolutely 5*??
- Update and enhance the rooms.
- Put a small roof just over the top of the hydrotherapy pool to be able to use this in the rain, snow, etc and also, cut out some of the wind (even though this is not essential)

Wyboston Lakes has taken over the number 1 spot from Sopwell House and will need to search high and low to match or beat our experiences...

Word of advice...definitely worth the money to stay the night, than to do a spa day, as you can plan your day better, maximize use of the facilities and treatments and this will also work out better value!!

Room Tip: The rooms have 2 sections: We were in the Oceania section which meant walking 30 metre's outdoor...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The_Masterplan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

First time in 22 years that we decided to have our Company Christmas celebration at lunch time. We chose the Lake side restaurant because it is close to our offices. Whilst the food was quite good for a large party affair, the service was EXTREMELY slow. Serving staff were cold and inattentive. We wanted more drinks and coffee to finish but attracting attention of any of the staff that might have been intrersted proved impossible, so we decided to give up and go back to work. We were asked when we paid if we had any views, which we conveyed. The response was "hopefully it will better next time". No next time, sorry. Not impressed. We were not valued as a clients so we guess we are not needed. Won't go back

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kevin G
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one week while on a training course. My bedroom was at the main hotel, the course was held in the executive centre.
My room was spacious and clean. The bed was enormous. In the room were tea/coffee/biscuits which were replenished daily, iron and ironing board, safe, towels and robe, and toiletries. Breakfast was good, a selection of cereals, fruit or full cooked all buffet style.

the facilities at the executive centre were excellent. Very good coffee and tea selection as well as snacks. The daily cooked lunch selection was also excellent.

on site is a gym, swimming pool, golf course and driving range as well as a separate spa.

I only ate in the bar. I paid about £12 for a burger which was a very nice burger. There is also the option of eating in the formal restaurant.

There are plenty of close by places to eat off site. Turn right out of the main site, 2nd exit at the island, straight over the next island and you will come to an Indian restaurant on your left which is very good. It's a ten minute half mile walk. On the way there you will pass two pubs that serve food and a KFC.

It is also only a 20 drive to Cambridge which is a lovely place to visit, use the park and ride for convenience, it's sign posted from the main road.

I would return to this hotel as a leisure visitor with my husband.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We decided to treat a friend who was celebrating her birthday and looked out for a hotel with entertainment. We came across this hotel by searching for a tribute band on the desired weekend. (It's really hard to find hotels with entertainment on most search engines). The pre-arrival communication and care was excellent but I still expected a moderate hotel, especially at the price charged. I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is modern and well equipped with lake-view bars and restaurant, a spa, golf course and leisure centre. The bedrooms were clean, comfortable and well equipped. This place is a destination in its own right. The tribute band (Bee Gees) were great, the meal was the best I've had at this type of event and the whole weekend was a great success. Hotel weekends with a dinner and dance can be really good fun - this one was superb!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I had a spa day here recently and I was very confused by this place. I love a good spa; I need to unwind regularly so I visit A LOT of spas and therefore know A LOT about them. ... I was left somewhat confused by this place. It's a shame as I had high hopes for the spa as the hotel seems nice. I mean, have the Managers actually visited a spa before to see what it's like? I'm not sure. For instance, the spa should be relaxing and most people visit for fun. They are looking forward to chilling out for the day, but when I arrived I was given my Itinerary by the 'Spa Manager '( ... was she REALLY needed? She was going to give me a tour but nobody could find her).. And my time table ( was a piece of paper detailing this REALLY needed? I was here to relax) told me I had to have lunch at 12 p.m. and a scalp massage at 4:30 p.m. I was told that the time of the scalp massage couldn't be changed and this frustrated me as it restricted my choices. I mean, it's my day that I AM paying for so shouldn't I get a say? Seemingly not.

The changing rooms were clean and it was nice that the robe, slippers were already in the locker. I loved the bracelet band which locked and unlocked the locker: it meant you didn't have to find pound coins or worrying about losing the key. The steam rooms on first impression seemed alright but I was bored within a couple of hours as they were unexciting. Where were the strong relaxing smells like Eucalyptus or other herbal scents? In some rooms the temperature was so high I could only last a few minutes. It needed a room at a pleasant temperature to prepare you for a day at the spa. The thalassotherapy pool was nice, it could have done with the showers working properly. The outside fire was a welcome addition particularly as it was a cold day. I loved the sauna; out of all the rooms this was the nicest. But the problem is you cannot spend an entire day there as the spa is unexciting ... there was no thrill about moving from room to room or arguing with your friends as to wish room to visit next as they all seemed too similar.

Unfortunately I had to stay as the scalp massage was booked for later that day. I visited the 'Relaxation Room' and I have to say the pod chairs were a clever idea. The problem with them was that the room wasn't relaxing, it felt like I was sat in an office without the desks.

The lunch was superb, the staff were very welcoming and the food was just the right sustenance for sweating it out in the spa. Though, I was disappointed that there was no bread rolls and when I asked for one the waiter told me that they couldn't get one. This was surprising as it IS a hotel and there is a supermarket on the corner. I also found the price for a glass of wine expensive.

I LOVED the treatment centre's lounge: it perhaps is the nicest place in the spa. The room had comfy sofas and cosy blankets you could throw over yourself. But let's be honest, that sounds like my lounge so I am not going to pay to do that somewhere else. I was expecting more ... the scalp massage which was to be 25 minutes was barely 15. I was disappointed as I was looking forward to it, but saying that I was heading home which was ,after my unexciting day, great.

The price for the day did not equate to what was offered and this is where I come back to my earlier point regarding the Managers not really understanding the spa concept. The spa is a wet moist area as you would expect, so it came as a surprise that the spa has a 'one robe per person' policy. A sign actually tells customers to keep their robe out of wet areas. I mean, with very few hanging up places and with all of them full up with robes this was impossible. They then suggest that if you want a fresh robe you can purchase this for £5. I mean, that is a disgrace! Other spas I have been to have a constant supply of fresh robes ready for clients. I found myself wandering round in a soggy robe by the end of the day and this is just not acceptable. Overall, this spa could be good if the Management go the extra mile (and may be visit a spa or two) to make it a fun day.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank thetraveller089
dudley
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Had booked a spa package for the weekend after my wedding for my partner and i to get pampered, on arrival we found out that our booking had been messed up, i had just driven 2hrs to get here, didn't fancy driving back, although i should have once you find out what happens next. The reason for the mess up was blamed on spabreaks.com we were allocated a room but were unable to receive any treatments as they were fully booked and the whole reason for me staying here was so that we had treatments. As they said it was so breaks.com fault i did not argue with them. The staff gave us free gifts from spa n offered free cup and drink lol! This was too make up for the mess up i later found out, as when speaking to them on Monday they admitted to messing up the booking but only admitted this once i got back! So i missed out on the core part of my package and a free elimiss gift and cup cake makes up for it! O n then after speaking to the hotel manager who agreed a full refund is only sufficient, the director of the company rings me and says only a futher £60 is sufficient as that was the value of the treatments included in the package. How embarassing! I would have booked more treatments initially good job i never i probably would have lost out on more money this was a £250plus package! Seriously don't stay here ur money is better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank pritspatel14
lincoln
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed here whilst on a business trip as it looked like a good stopover location. What I did not anticipate was how difficult it would be to find. It is actually on what appears to be private grounds. Furthermore when you eventually venture onto the grounds and find the property that is called a Hotel it is the wrong one. You need to go instead to the conference centre.

Once there I found the check-in process to be very efficient but then I had to navigate my way through a mass of people in a communal area, an eating area and bar before finding the corridor to my room. Could this not be improved upon as some people might find this rather daunting.

The room itself was comfortable and well appointed with a modern bathroom. As you might expect there was a modern TV and tea making facilities. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet hence I was able to get a good nights sleep.

I ate in and found the food menu to be fairly comprehensive and the food of good quality albeit nothing to write home about.
As a Real Ale fan I was disappointed to find that they only had keg beer on offer.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyboston
Bedford Swan Hotel
The Woburn Hotel
The Woburn Hotel
#1 of 3 in Woburn
The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel

Been to Wyboston Lakes Hotel? Share your experiences!