After going to a few spa breaks of late with my girlfriend, comparison's are bound to be made and so far the best place we had visited was definitely Sopwell House in St. Albans,,,
When booking a spa break which suited our needs, such as the spa facilities, the thermal circuit (my brother recommended we definitely do this at a spa place which had it), breakfast, lunch and dinner included, a lovely jacuzzi, great treatments and to end the day on a relaxed note...a lovely bed/room. Wyboston Lakes ticked pretty much all the boxes on the surface, so what is my review now I have visited??? My girlfriend and I absolutely loved it!!!
When we drove up to Wyboston Lakes Hotel, we were very anxious due to the outside decor and the way the rooms looked more like chalets...however, we kept an open mind and entered the hotel. We arrived at 9.30am to get an early start to our day and give us enough time between our planned meals. We were greeted by a lovely receptionist called Agnes, who took our bags and informed us she would try and get us in to our room sooner and was very informative and reciprocating.
We then checked in to the ySpa reception, where we were given our blue wrist bands, which give you access to the full facilities and the lockers (to avoid carrying coins, etc), and we had our treatments confirmed for the following day. Initially the treatments were booked for different times for my girlfriend and I, however after a couple of minutes and some jigging around, we were told they will accommodate us both at the same time, which was perfect.
The changing rooms were extremely immaculate and welcoming, the lockers perfect and easy to use and all come with a bath robe and slippers, with unlimited use of towels. My brother had informed me that when using the thermal circuit, to maximize the experience, do the circuit following certain stages...and the ySpa reception have a booklet which also informs you of this. We picked up the booklet and followed the stages...going from hot to cold to hot, etc...and then relaxing by sleeping in the water beds or standard beds they provide in the chillout zone...
Every single room in this thermal spa was perfect, did exactly what it said on the door and really was perfect for our skin, sinus, and body. The hydrotherapy pool was absolutely amazing!!! We had to extend our stay within this pool for a wee bit longer as it was that good (including after lunch, where it really was romantic when the night arrives and lights turn on, and we even managed to have a glass of champagne each - a little personal touch)...My favourite room/section in the ySpa??? The "Mist room" I absolutely loved it in there...it smells of citrus and resembles a tropical rainforest with misty rain and really does make all the difference! The water beds were our last stop and let me tell you...you could be awake on a coffee high, but lay on this bed and within minutes you will be sold and dead to the world!! awesome way to end the thermal circuit.
We went to lunch at 1.30pm and the restaurant was lovely, great service, great etiquette and awesome, healthy lunch...so worth having that included in our day!We had dinner planned for 8.00pm and once again, great service and etiquette and if the food at lunch was anything to go by, I was excited...and we were not disappointed! My girlfriend is vegetarian and she had no issues at all.
We only had 1 downside to our break...and that was the rooms. They were reminiscent of TravelLodge rooms, and the double bed we had hoped for was a "zip and link" mattress, which really doesn't allow you to sleep in the middle comfortably.
We had our massage treatments on Saturday morning at 11am, so had breakfast before hand which was lovely. The Leisure facilities across the hotel were closed for some reason, so to enable us to shower and use the facilities, we asked the ySpa reception if we could be allowed to seeing as we were having an hour massage each, and they happily obliged. The massages were so amazing, I genuinely felt like I was floating. We were advised by the masseuse to use the thermal facilities in a certain order to maximize the blood flow, massage oils and body temperature regulation to truly relax us. We followed these instructions and could not have enjoyed this spa anymore, it truly left a lasting and lovely impression on both my girlfriend and I.
Improvements to suggest making this absolutely 5*??
- Update and enhance the rooms.
- Put a small roof just over the top of the hydrotherapy pool to be able to use this in the rain, snow, etc and also, cut out some of the wind (even though this is not essential)
Wyboston Lakes has taken over the number 1 spot from Sopwell House and will need to search high and low to match or beat our experiences...
Word of advice...definitely worth the money to stay the night, than to do a spa day, as you can plan your day better, maximize use of the facilities and treatments and this will also work out better value!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyboston Lakes Hotel is set in 365 acres of countryside, midway between Cambridge and Milton Keynes. It is home to the Waterfront Restaurant which enjoys stunning views of the lake and golf course. The Hotel has 103 furnished ensuite bedrooms with all the amenities you would expect from when you are away from home. It provides a perfect setting for private dining or special occasions, with dining areas and party rooms overlooking the lake. Wyboston Lakes Hotel makes the perfect destination for visitors to the area of Milton Keynes, Bedford, Cambridge or Peterborough. As well as lots to do in the region, there are a wide range of activities for you to enjoy and the flexibility to have your stay just as you want it. Enjoy time at Y Spa, our stunning spa facility, providing relaxation, rejuvenation and pleasure. Y Spa offers wonderful therapies to take you away and revive tired bodies and minds. Incorporating stunning therapy rooms, steam and salt rooms, Rasul, water beds and relax areas. A signature feature is the external hydro-pool and kelo sauna, which is connected internally to the thermal suite with an open fireplace and loungers poolside. The 18 hole golf course is beautifully set with great views and challenging play. We offer a residents golf rate of £14 per person mid-week, or £25 per person at the weekend. In addition we also have a Golf Driving Range. The Wyboston Lakes Health & Leisure Club is a great place to work-out and guests of Wyboston Lakes Hotel can use this facility free of charge. Guests staying at the Hotel can also enjoy FREE Wi-Fi across the hotel as well as in the bedrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HRS, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Wyboston Lakes Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wyboston Lakes Hotel Wyboston
- Lakes Hotel Wyboston