“Christmas Party Evening”

The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wyboston
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Visited the premises for a works christmas party event.
Great location, very clean premises, roomy atmosphere with staff who knew what they were doing.
Nice greeting at check in, could of done with a few more bar staff as the que was a bit deep to begin.
Room was set up very nicely along with the table and seating arrangements.
It was however difficult to find where to sit as there was several organisations trying to find the same.
I think that a seating plan upon entering the venue would have been appropriate.
Everyone was in a good party mood and I am pleased to say that the Banqueting Staff really pulled the evening off very well.
The Disco was great as the floor was packed with dancers, but seemed to clear when the live entertainment came on which was a Motown Evening...As they wasnt the best tribute band I have seen....
However, the dancefloor soon filled up when the disco resumed..
On the whole, a very good evening and a very clean and presentable premises and location.

Regards.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,220)

Reviewed 15 December 2013

First time at the Executive Centre. 6 of us went to celebrate Christmas. We checked in to 3 very nice rooms that were immaculate. Very clean with good facilities. Excellent shower in the bathroom !!!
Seating was well organized and the food was extremely good along with excellent service. The bar staff were very good. Entertainment was OK but not as good as the last time we saw them ( motown night ) Disco was very good.
This superb night was topped off by a fabulous breakfast.
Can't wait till the next time.
Thank you for a great night !!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel as it was a convenient stop off place when visiting relatives. The hotel was easy to find although as the site is quite large, it was a little confusing to find the hotel itself as signage isn't great.

Check in was efficient and our room was in another building (Oceania suites) just to the right of the reception area. One point to note is that there are no lifts in this block, so people with reduced mobility would struggle if they had an upstairs room. The room itself (executive twin) was ok if not a little small. Could do with some updating. The bathroom was a bit of a let down as it was tired and worn and there were some maintenance that should be undertaken, however, as we weren't going to spend a great deal of time in the room, we were happy enough.

The bar was busy, but we were served quickly although the bar staff did have a tendency to chat to each other quite loudly which was a little off putting whilst sitting in the lounge area. We ate dinner in the restaurant which was just ok. We complained about some of the vegetables and they were removed from our bill without any argument.

The breakfast was lovely. We were seated facing the lake, so could watch the wildlife whilst we ate and the selection and quality of the hot items in particular was very pleasing. My husband commented that it had been one of the best breakfasts he's had for a long time.

This hotel would be good for business (which is where I believe it caters its trade) though for me, lacked a little in atmosphere in the bar and restaurant. Overall an ok stay, but thumbs up on the breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2013

After going to a few spa breaks of late with my girlfriend, comparison's are bound to be made and so far the best place we had visited was definitely Sopwell House in St. Albans,,,

When booking a spa break which suited our needs, such as the spa facilities, the thermal circuit (my brother recommended we definitely do this at a spa place which had it), breakfast, lunch and dinner included, a lovely jacuzzi, great treatments and to end the day on a relaxed note...a lovely bed/room. Wyboston Lakes ticked pretty much all the boxes on the surface, so what is my review now I have visited??? My girlfriend and I absolutely loved it!!!

When we drove up to Wyboston Lakes Hotel, we were very anxious due to the outside decor and the way the rooms looked more like chalets...however, we kept an open mind and entered the hotel. We arrived at 9.30am to get an early start to our day and give us enough time between our planned meals. We were greeted by a lovely receptionist called Agnes, who took our bags and informed us she would try and get us in to our room sooner and was very informative and reciprocating.

We then checked in to the ySpa reception, where we were given our blue wrist bands, which give you access to the full facilities and the lockers (to avoid carrying coins, etc), and we had our treatments confirmed for the following day. Initially the treatments were booked for different times for my girlfriend and I, however after a couple of minutes and some jigging around, we were told they will accommodate us both at the same time, which was perfect.

The changing rooms were extremely immaculate and welcoming, the lockers perfect and easy to use and all come with a bath robe and slippers, with unlimited use of towels. My brother had informed me that when using the thermal circuit, to maximize the experience, do the circuit following certain stages...and the ySpa reception have a booklet which also informs you of this. We picked up the booklet and followed the stages...going from hot to cold to hot, etc...and then relaxing by sleeping in the water beds or standard beds they provide in the chillout zone...

Every single room in this thermal spa was perfect, did exactly what it said on the door and really was perfect for our skin, sinus, and body. The hydrotherapy pool was absolutely amazing!!! We had to extend our stay within this pool for a wee bit longer as it was that good (including after lunch, where it really was romantic when the night arrives and lights turn on, and we even managed to have a glass of champagne each - a little personal touch)...My favourite room/section in the ySpa??? The "Mist room" I absolutely loved it in there...it smells of citrus and resembles a tropical rainforest with misty rain and really does make all the difference! The water beds were our last stop and let me tell you...you could be awake on a coffee high, but lay on this bed and within minutes you will be sold and dead to the world!! awesome way to end the thermal circuit.

We went to lunch at 1.30pm and the restaurant was lovely, great service, great etiquette and awesome, healthy lunch...so worth having that included in our day!We had dinner planned for 8.00pm and once again, great service and etiquette and if the food at lunch was anything to go by, I was excited...and we were not disappointed! My girlfriend is vegetarian and she had no issues at all.

We only had 1 downside to our break...and that was the rooms. They were reminiscent of TravelLodge rooms, and the double bed we had hoped for was a "zip and link" mattress, which really doesn't allow you to sleep in the middle comfortably.

We had our massage treatments on Saturday morning at 11am, so had breakfast before hand which was lovely. The Leisure facilities across the hotel were closed for some reason, so to enable us to shower and use the facilities, we asked the ySpa reception if we could be allowed to seeing as we were having an hour massage each, and they happily obliged. The massages were so amazing, I genuinely felt like I was floating. We were advised by the masseuse to use the thermal facilities in a certain order to maximize the blood flow, massage oils and body temperature regulation to truly relax us. We followed these instructions and could not have enjoyed this spa anymore, it truly left a lasting and lovely impression on both my girlfriend and I.

Improvements to suggest making this absolutely 5*??
- Update and enhance the rooms.
- Put a small roof just over the top of the hydrotherapy pool to be able to use this in the rain, snow, etc and also, cut out some of the wind (even though this is not essential)

Wyboston Lakes has taken over the number 1 spot from Sopwell House and will need to search high and low to match or beat our experiences...

Word of advice...definitely worth the money to stay the night, than to do a spa day, as you can plan your day better, maximize use of the facilities and treatments and this will also work out better value!!

Room Tip: The rooms have 2 sections: We were in the Oceania section which meant walking 30 metre's outdoor...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank The_Masterplan
Reviewed 12 December 2013

First time in 22 years that we decided to have our Company Christmas celebration at lunch time. We chose the Lake side restaurant because it is close to our offices. Whilst the food was quite good for a large party affair, the service was EXTREMELY slow. Serving staff were cold and inattentive. We wanted more drinks and coffee to finish but attracting attention of any of the staff that might have been intrersted proved impossible, so we decided to give up and go back to work. We were asked when we paid if we had any views, which we conveyed. The response was "hopefully it will better next time". No next time, sorry. Not impressed. We were not valued as a clients so we guess we are not needed. Won't go back

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kevin G
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I stayed here for one week while on a training course. My bedroom was at the main hotel, the course was held in the executive centre.
My room was spacious and clean. The bed was enormous. In the room were tea/coffee/biscuits which were replenished daily, iron and ironing board, safe, towels and robe, and toiletries. Breakfast was good, a selection of cereals, fruit or full cooked all buffet style.

the facilities at the executive centre were excellent. Very good coffee and tea selection as well as snacks. The daily cooked lunch selection was also excellent.

on site is a gym, swimming pool, golf course and driving range as well as a separate spa.

I only ate in the bar. I paid about £12 for a burger which was a very nice burger. There is also the option of eating in the formal restaurant.

There are plenty of close by places to eat off site. Turn right out of the main site, 2nd exit at the island, straight over the next island and you will come to an Indian restaurant on your left which is very good. It's a ten minute half mile walk. On the way there you will pass two pubs that serve food and a KFC.

It is also only a 20 drive to Cambridge which is a lovely place to visit, use the park and ride for convenience, it's sign posted from the main road.

I would return to this hotel as a leisure visitor with my husband.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We decided to treat a friend who was celebrating her birthday and looked out for a hotel with entertainment. We came across this hotel by searching for a tribute band on the desired weekend. (It's really hard to find hotels with entertainment on most search engines). The pre-arrival communication and care was excellent but I still expected a moderate hotel, especially at the price charged. I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is modern and well equipped with lake-view bars and restaurant, a spa, golf course and leisure centre. The bedrooms were clean, comfortable and well equipped. This place is a destination in its own right. The tribute band (Bee Gees) were great, the meal was the best I've had at this type of event and the whole weekend was a great success. Hotel weekends with a dinner and dance can be really good fun - this one was superb!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyboston
Premier Inn St. Neots (A1/Wyboston) Hotel
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
#5 of 9 in Huntingdon
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor

Been to The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!