“Thinly disguised as Fawlty Towers”

The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wyboston
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Please don't eat here in the restaurant or bar. You will thank me for this sage advice The food is average. The staff are hilarious though, but not in a good way. I think they are just young and poorly trained, and sadly don't demonstrate a natural aptitude for customer service.

However, the location is quite nice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MelindaCambs
CSWybo, Guest Relations Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for your thoughts on your recent visit to our Restaurant. It is very disappointing to read your comments, and I can assure you that we take all feedback from our guests very seriously. It is most disappointing that you have left our Restaurant as a displeased customer and this is something that we want to put right. We have tried to make contact with you to discuss your experience. We hope to speak with you soon as possible.

There are newer reviews for The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here overnight with for a work event at Millbrook. My colleagues and I were supposed to be staying at the Park Inn in Bedford, but due to IT problems, their rooms had been double booked, so we were transferred over and the difference paid for by the Park Inn.

However, due to the different arrival times, some were in the main hotel, and others, including myself, were in the training centre. This wasn't a problem, but we were not informed that we needed to go straight to the training centre to check in, rather than the main hotel lobby.

It was a very warm day, and although my room was fine, a few in my party complained it was too hot and required extra fans to circulate the air. It was surprisingly modern and the room was nice and clean.

We spent most of the time in the bar and restaurant. The bar is stocked with a good range of drinks, including a swedish cider called Herrljunga which I love but have not seen around for a long time! There is a nice seating area by the lake which is lovely on a balmy summer evening, although we could not enjoy it for long.

The food during dinner was good. I ordered a medium rare steak and I got a medium rare steak. The red wine sauce that came with it was very tasty as well. I ended up having the mini dessert platter (shared!) and was a little disappointed. The sticky toffee pudding tasted burnt, the custard with the apple crumble was far too eggy, and some of the other puddings were just average. I like to pride myself on being a lovely of desserts at restaurants, and was quite disappointed by the plate.

We stayed in the bar until closing time, and the staff were nice about having to throw us out, rather than being rude. I slept well and the bed was comfortable.

In the morning, I was left a little to my own devices at breakfast with no-one there to greet me or tell me what to do if I needed special orders, but there was a good selection from the cooked breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for sharing your views with us. We value feedback from all of our guests and have taken on board your comments about the desserts, which have been passed to our Head Chef for review.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Visited Wyboston Lakes Hotel this weekend. The photographs of the spa do not do it justice, nice that they restrict the number of guests using it so it does not become overcrowded. However, would have preferred to have had longer than a 4 hour slot, maybe 2 x 2 hour slots split over the two days would have been better.
The hotel rooms were ok, nothing to write home about. The biggest disappointment was the evening meal, not in terms of the quality of the food, which was good but not exceptional, but down to the lack of time between courses. We had a table booked for 8.45, and were expecting that we may have to wait to be seated. We were allocated a table immediately, given menus, and as soon as we had ordered the starter was served. so clearly all made up well in advance. The main course was served immediately after the starter, and desert menus were brought to us by two separate waiters. All in all the three courses were served and completed within less than 45 minutes which just felt too rushed.
The dining room is very large and corporate, so couldn't recommend it for an intimate dinner for two.
I think it is a shame that such a fabulous spa is let down by the rooms and the restaurant. Didn't realise you had to pay to use the gym as per previous post, but would have been annoyed had we wanted to use those facilities and been charged on top. Plus side gardens and golf course look immaculately well tended to.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Happycouple1

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time in the Spa - it certainly is a very relaxing place to spend time.
Your comments regarding the feeling of being rushed through your Dinner Service have been passed to our Restaurant Manager for review and action.
The charge for the use of the Health & Leisure club is due to this facility being operated by a third party and it is a private members club. Our guests are able to use the facility but we do have to make a small charge for that.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I booked this hotel as I had an early meeting in Bedford. It was a few miles out but looked pleaseant. It turned out to wonderful. Drinks overlooking the lake, and then diner overlooking the lake. Great food and atmosphere, as nothing was too much trouble. I reccomend this hotel for general use but a must if you want to play golf as the course is right there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the reception area as some rooms are miles away.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
CSWybo, Guest Relations Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review and sharing your thoughts with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our wonderful setting by the lake... it cetainly is a lovely place to enjoy the sunshine. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

A two night business stay in one of the business centres. Little clarity that the accommodation is separate from the hotel so having made my way to reception in the main hotel I received unclear instructions as to how to check into the business centre as there are so many different buildings. Rooms in the business centre were very small and less than average. Bar in the business centre was expensive for what it was. It is better to go across to the main bar for a lovely view for the same price. Food was very good, especially the breakfast. A great shame you had to pay to use the gym. Not really good customer service, that!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
CSWybo, Guest Relations Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you sharing your views. I am sorry that there was confusion over which of our venues your booking was for, this certainly should be made clear by our reservations team, or your business booker. With regard to the payment to use the Health & Leisure Club, I would advise that this is a private members club operated by a third party. Our guests are able to use the facility but unfortunately that does carry a small charge.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I would be extremely disappointed if I had booked a spa stay or was staying for a relaxing round of golf at Wyboston Lakes.

I was staying on business for a couple of days here and had two of the poorest nights sleep due to the heat of the rooms. The weather was beautiful for the past few days and it was very hot outside. I was aghast to find that the heating had been left on in my room when I entered. I immediately turned this off and opened the windows wide. Unfortunately due to the shrubbery beneath the windows there were lots of insects flying about and they were coming into the room.

I closed the windows halfway and put on the room fan which did little to ease the heat.
In the morning at 7am (after about an hours sleep) there was a laundry truck unloading right outside my window, this happened on both mornings so it did little to help the last few minutes of sleep I could get. The curtains on the window were also not blackout so the light streamed through my room the moment the sun came up.

There was also a dirty tissue down the side of my bed which I removed, this is disgusting and clearly the room had not properly been cleaned.

The plus side was the breakfast was very nice and better than Premier Inn which we are used to staying at, however no vegetarian options.

When I complained as checking out, the lady at reception mumbled a 'sorry' but didn't seem to care.
Bad customer service and a terrible nights sleep. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nicky W

We appreciate the time you have taken to give us your feedback. I am unsure why the heating would have been on in your bedroom at this time of year and that is something that I will be taking up with our Head of Housekeeping, along with the other issues you have raised - please do accept our apologies for this.
I will also speak to our Front of House Manager about the way in which your complaint was dealt with on checking out - this is certainly not indicative of the service we provide.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I visited the Y Spa at Wyboston Lakes as part of a Hen Party. I was a 'Spa Virgin' and extremely excited.

We had gone for the following package:
Space To Breathe Day
2 course lunch
Use of Thermal Spa facilities
Y Spa Fresh Face
Y Spa Soothing Scalp
This was £125pp.

When we arrived the outside of the hotel does looks a little like a leisure centre and a little dated. However when you step inside it is fresh and elegant. The reception team were very pleasant and each issued us with our wrist bands for the day.

The wrist band situation was supposed be quite a simple process. You buddy up with someone and one of the buddies gives over their card details. Therefore if you purchase any drinks, snacks or products etc you scan the wrist band and settle this at the end...simples???? Not really but I shall get to that part in due course. Your wrist band also allows you in and out of the spa rooms and also allows access to your locker (this part was simple).

We arrived into the 'Greeting Area' which is a little canteen/café. We filled out our health forms and were given a tea and coffee (this is what you get on arrival). We were told to arrive early due to the fact our treatments were to start at 10am. We had a 1hr and 30 minute journey and had got up super duper early. We noticed that the first treatment was 11am. This wasn't a huge deal as we were happy to get there nice and early but it would of been nice to have a little extra time for picking up party members en-route.

We were then ushered through the glass doors to a very lovely changing area. Given our fresh robes and large spa slippers and off we went into the world of pampering and relaxation.

Now we were told that on arrival someone would take us around the facilities so we knew what was on offer. This was not done and instead we were left to fend for ourselves. This was fine, however it would of been nice for someone to explain the different rooms and area's that were available to us. Luckily a few of the party were 'Spa Experts' and gave us virgins the low down.

The Spa itself is very modern and clean. However it is very small. I had nothing to compare it to of course but the thermal spa did seem very small considering the amount of people that were there. We were lucky enough to visit on an extremely gorgeous day. Blue sky and the sun was shining. Outside is a lovely decking area with a hydrotherapy pool. This is where the majority of people stayed throughout the day. Lots of seating around including lovely soft sofa's and also lots of deck chairs. I couldn't help but think if the weather was not very nice there would hardly be any space inside for people to relax and sit.

The steam, sauna and salty steam rooms are just what they state on the packet. Very salty, very steamy and very saunary!!!! There is a very nice room called 'The Big Sleep' with 6 very comfy beds with blankets where you can catch 40 winks. Lovely twinkly music playing in the background helps with the whole relaxation process.

They have a few large round pod like chairs which swivel around (very fun) and a little separate curtain area with 3 hot water beds, now use these with caution. They are big enough to get 2 people on. I attempted to get on one with my mother. We were bobbing around like mad. But very nice and relaxing once you get on and don't move.

Now in our package I opted to change my 'Scalp Massage' to 'Happy Hands' the reason being I do not like people touching my head....I went for my happy hands massage which involved a very nice lady rubbing very nice things into my hands and up my arms. Very nice indeed. My hands were very happy at the end. Job done.

Now our lunch was scheduled at 2pm....at 11.30 after my treatment I was extremely hungry and hunted out food. I came across cake...this would do nicely. I had a very nice caramac cheesecake and a coffee for a very lovely price of £6.80. Now considering I had paid £125 for the day I would expect tea and coffee to be included. The cake was very nice though.

Lunch time arrived and we practically bolted to the lunch hall. When we arrived it was like a ghost town. Only 3 or 4 other tables. Lunch is a option of starter plus main or main plus starter. This is all in buffet form. We all opted for starter and main. We went up for our starter which is salad (no other option) and noticed that we were obviously the last dining party as nothing had been replenished for what looked like some time.
The lettuce was looking very limp and the variety of the salad was rather poor. About 20 minutes into lunch I noticed the staff were now queuing for food and filling up their plates. The door to the buffet was then closed. I then realised that they obviously forgot we had to eat our mains. When the waitress noticed she called to the chef, who had left the kitchen and was leaving the dining hall, informing him he had another table. We then obviously rushed up thinking we best be quick before they take very thing away. As we entered the buffet room the chef called over to another staff member and said 'last eight?' this instantly made us feel rushed.

Now I am no expert but when I pay £125 for a spa day I do not expect to see before me a large vat of chilli, curry and one kind of pasta. A few dry looking jackets and some left over dried out tuna. I didn't expect Caviar and Foie Gras but something a little less......bulky would of been nice. Considering we were swanning around in our cozzies all day. We were all extremely unimpressed with the lunch. The staff also started moving all the tables and chairs around and clearing them for the afternoon tea this was at about 2.40. I felt like a full hour for lunch should of been given. Considering we didn't choose the time of 2pm I didn't think it was very fair.

Second treatment 'Facia' was very lovely. Lots of hot towels which was my favourite bit. And Papaya smelling things all over my face was very pleasant. I thought of purchasing a few products....this thought was extremely short lived when I was handed the price list. No need to explain further..you get me!

The rest of the day was enjoyed by giggling, gossip and lots of floating around in the hydro pool. I would recommend the treatments and going during 'quieter months' but I did think the whole thing was very overpriced. We had a great time due to great company. I would not go back to this particular Spa.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank riannaelzabeth88
CSWybo, Guest Relations Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thanks for sharing your views with us. Your comments have been noted and will be reviewed with our internal Management Team. With regard to the lunch service you experienced, this was a result of some internal mis-communications. I am sorry that something went wrong on your particular visit - this has now been addressed so that it does not happen again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyboston
The Barns Hotel
Abbotsley Golf Hotel
Abbotsley Golf Hotel
#4 of 4 in St Neots
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor

Been to The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!