“Great Friendly Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Swinford
Dublin
“Great Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We have stayed here a number of times and each time has been perfect.
The rooms are gorgeous & the beds extremely comfortable. We have had Bar Food on each occasion which was delicious. Staff are very friendly and the hotel overall is cosy. I will defiantly be back

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Gateway S, Manager at The Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Thank you for your generous review. I am delighted you enjoyed your staywith us.We have been putting a big effort in since we took back over the hotel in September and we are delighted that so many people are giving us positive feedback like yourself. Thanks again for taking the time to give us a review and hopefully we will see you again soon.
Manager
The Gateway Hotel, Swinford, Co. Mayo
Tel: 00353 94 9252156
E: cathalkelly@gatewayswinford.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We just had an extremely enjoyable meal in the Gateway Hotel. What a very pleasant experience. The meal was excellent, and served by a waitress who was extremely helpful and pleasant. Overall very enjoyable, highly recommended. Very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Gateway S, Manager at The Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Thank you for your generous review. I am delighted you enjoyed your meal with us.We have been putting a big effort into our food since we took back over the hotel in September and we are delighted that so many people are giving us positive feedback like yourself. Thanks again for taking the time to give us a review and hopefully we will see you again soon.
Manager
The Gateway Hotel, Swinford, Co. Mayo
Tel: 00353 94 9252156
E: cathalkelly@gatewayswinford.com
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed 21 November 2012

If you are looking for a great carvery lunch at the right price this the venue for you. Cathal is helpful and hospitable and willing to help people in every way possible. The hotel has a large function room where I have attended a few events which have always been good

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mayotom79
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Firstly apologise for the delay in the review of our experience at the Gateway originally another person from our party group and I wrote separate emails to the Manager (sent on the 3rd of July) unfortunately we never got a reply. When coming across trip advisor I decided to post my review

On the first of June 2012 I booked a table for seven people for a special birthday meal for my mum I requested that the meal would be served in the small room restaurant, as we didn’t wish to eat in the bar area. As like there website states “For a more formal experience, enjoy a succulent meal in our dining room”.

We have previously have had a retirement party at the hotel, a couple of anniversary meals and two special birthday meals previous to the meal on the 1st of June and as such I was confident this meal would be as enjoyable as previous ones.

Unfortunately it was disappointing, to say the least. On taking our order a starter was missing and the person had to wait while one was prepared, the soup was luke warm and I think the absolute insult that accompanied the soup was the stale brown soda bread (it was as hard as a brick) we asking the waiter if they had any bread rolls they returned with just four bread rolls (they weren’t much better). The garlic mushrooms were nice but sadly there was no dressing/sauce to accompany them and it looked rather sad with a few lettuce leaves and a slice tomato, not acceptable for a hotel restaurant. The main meal, major issues with this course was one guest asked for a roast dinner they was served a piece of gammon two scoops of mash potatoes and cabbage (basically bacon and cabbage) this does not represent a roast dinner in my view. Two guests ordered steak well done and they certainly were well charred, the other meals were just adequate. Those who indulged in dessert mainly had a baileys cheesecake, tasting it I don’t believe was prepared on the premises and it tasted processed. At no time were we asked if we wanted to order wine or drinks, any drinks we required we had to attend the bar ourselves.

Another private function was taking place in the other function room and whatever attention was given to customers that evening it certainly was evident it wasn’t shown to us.

We have had family members who came long distances to attend the meal and I feel embarrassed for the poor delivery of food and service that night. I decided with other family members not to make a formal complaint that evening as I didn’t want to ruin the entire night for my mum but felt I needed to make them aware so I emailed the manager, and was rather disappointed that I never got a response. Meals we have had their previously have been enjoyable and a good value for money “the Gateway Hotel, Swinford we pride ourselves on our friendly and professional service, along with our excellent home cooked food at very reasonable prices” On this occasion I am afraid that the hotel failed to provide this service as stated on the website.
Sadly very disappointing

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Anna L
Gateway S, Owner at The Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Hi,
Firstly on behalf of everyone here at The Gateway Hotel, Swinford I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to you for the experience you had here. Our Hotel has recently undergone a change in ownership on September the 14th last. I have taken over management of the hotel since that date and also we have a new head chef here now as well that would not have been here at the time of your party. I pride myself in offering a top service here in the Gateway Hotel, Swinford and can promise you should you book any future family occassions here with us you will have a very different experience from your one in July.Please feel free to contact me here at the Hotel at any time. You can get me on 00353 94 9252156 or at cathalkelly@gatewayswinford.com.
The Gateway Hotel,
Swinford,
Co. Mayo
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We never stayed at the gateway but we ate there, in the end several times in our trip. The food was fantastic, absoloutley lovely and the staff were brilliant friendly, helpfull and polite. Nothing was too much trouble. Felt comfy and at ease there, considering i have two children under the age of three and the staff were great. Would reccomend there for food. Couldn't comment on the rooms and stay because i never, but if the service i recieved was anything to go by i would deffinately stay there.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Hi,
Thank you very mucn for your positive review. I am absolutely delighted that you had such a good experience here with us at The Gateway Hotel. Having recently just taking over the running of the hotel since September 14 we are delighted with the positive experiences customers have been enjoying with us and hope that this will always continue to be the case.We hope to see you again soon
Co. Mayo
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Lovely Hotel, great price. Rooms were spotless, comfortable & everything was in perfect working order. Bar staff were friendly & efficient & music entertainment was second to none! Lady who served us breakfast the next morning was friendly and welcoming. No compliant, the breakfast was superb.. hands off to the chef and the homemade scones just out of the oven were to die for! Will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank EmmaLou025
Hi,
Thank you very much for your positive review. I am absolutely delighted that you had such a good experience here with us at The Gateway Hotel. Having recently just taking over the running of the hotel since September 14 we are delighted with the positive experiences customers have been enjoying with us and hope that this will always continue to be the case.We hope to see you again soon
Sixmilebridge, Ireland
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My wife and I, with two toddlers in tow, stayed at this hotel on a weekend night recently. We needed a hotel that was reasonably priced and comfortable, and this place fitted the bill perfectly. Our room overlooked the Main Street and was comfortable, clean and not too warm/hot (as many Irish hotel rooms tend to be IMO). As there was a wedding in the hotel that night I was concerned that there may be noise, but we never heard a thing as we all slept soundly - kids included. I liked being able to see my car from the bedroom window, parked on the wide Main Street below. The bathroom was clean and surprisingly large. We had a meal in the bar, the menu and the service were both good. Breakfast was also served in the bar area and was fine.

We did have one minor problem which was quickly resolved: the hotel had our booking down for the night before but this proved no obstacle and they quickly organised a room for us at short notice with all our requirements for the kids. The staff and particularly the manager were all very helpful.

We enjoyed our stay and would stay again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SixmilebridgeMan
Swinford
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swinford
Park Hotel
Westport Country Lodge Hotel
Harlequin Hotel Castlebar
Harlequin Hotel Castlebar
#2 of 8 in Castlebar

Been to The Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!