All reviews horseback riding green lake new friends the main lodge the owner acres deer saloon horses kayak riders aspen lakes pine community guests corral
Reviewed 15 September 2016

The Flying U Ranch was a good experience. I felt it could be a great experience with a few upgrades, that perhaps will occur since the ranch is now under new ownership. I spent a week with two girlfriends. We are all experienced riders who own our own horses. Cabins are rustic but cute. If you are in a duplex cabin, you can hear your neighboring breathing, not snoring, when they sleep. I would highly recommend you request an individual cabin not connected to another. This was very uncomfortable knowing your neighbor could hear everything. Luckily someone was only next to me for 3 nights out of my 7. Beds are hard as rocks, seriously. Food is okay, not great and not a lot of variety. Pancakes, french toast, pancakes again, then french toast casserole with eggs only offered our first and last day.Packed lunches for day rides only have choice of 3 items. Meals are served family style and you must sit with other guest and fill all tables. You are not permitted to sit at a separate table with your own group. Dining room staff was very friendly. Dinners just okay as well. Riding trails are nice, but by end of week we had rode most. Apparently when the ranch was sold in Dec 2015 the new owner only purchased a portion of the land so not as many places to ride as their used to be. Maps are terrible as well as most trail markings. You don't get lost, but you don't necessarily make it to your planned destination, or you do, but then because you were lost you end up loping your horses (we love to lope but were concerned about over doing it, knowing we had the same horse for 7 days) far more than you intended to return on time, as maps don't have distances on them. We did almost 20 miles a day, unintentionally, due to poor maps and felt that our horses were very fatigued by our 5th day. Two of the three of us, switched horses our the first day as the horses we were initially provided were more than we wanted for a week of riding (they both required schooling and we didn't want to spend our week doing this for someone else). We were pleased with our horses after we switched. They were safe, responsive and willing although tired by the end of our week. It seems that even though they advertise 100 horses, they have perhaps closer to 50-70 that are rideable. They were just beginning to purchase 20 more horses when we were there which it seems they need. I would not recommend to beginners as you totally ride on your own and some beginners had difficulty getting their horses to leave the coral. If you are experienced you will do just fine although the corral in the mornings seems a bit un organized, saddles seem to be pretty old, and saddle bags in very poor condition. Think of it more as a place to sleep that rents a horse to you for the week and you will not be disappointed. Bring your own saddle bags and slickers and don't rely on the maps. I have been to 6 other ranches in U.S. The only reason I would return to this one is because you can ride at your own pace without guides, but I would give it a few years to see if the new ownership improves the maps and signage. Its just one of those places you have to try for yourself and form your own opinion. Green Lake is beautiful and the facility overall is very nice and well maintained, including the bath house which was always clean.

Room Tip: Single cabins, not duplex. Take a mattress topper of some sort.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank ksoparadise
Reviewed 13 September 2016

This was an incredibly fun and memorable time away with our family ranging from 2-71 years old; experienced horse riders and first time enthusiasts. There was something for everyone. The staff ensured that our stay was comfortable and went out of their way to help with the little ones. The food was great - well made, healthy and plentiful. The wranglers were very skilled, efficient and knowledgable. We explored the land and made friends along the way. The Flying U Ranch is a must for folks looking to have an authentic horse riding experience with the benefit of being well cared for from start to finish!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2016

Our large family gathered at the Flying U to pay tribute to our Mom and our recently passed Dad (grandpa, uncle). The staff were so kind and supportive, it felt like we were among family! The staff worked to accommodate us in every way. Remember tho, this is a somewhat remote location and although WiFi is available, it is not always within range.

Room Tip: Rustic cabins share a community washroom/showers. If you want in cabin ask for The Dorm
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2016

I just got back from a wonderful trip with 10 friends at the Flying U. I never leave reviews, but we had such an amazing time that I have to leave one for this special place.

Our trip was for our friend's bachelorette party - she wanted to do something different instead of the usual party trip. Somehow I stumbled upon the Flying U and knew it would be perfect, despite being a 6 hour drive from Seattle (we almost didn't book because of the distance and I am so glad we didn't - it is completely worth the drive). From the beginning, the staff was so easy to work with and accommodating with our booking. I had a lot of questions since I wanted to make sure we wouldn't be an inappropriate group for the ranch, and Raven was so patient and quick with her responses.

As soon as we drove up and saw a horse grazing by the office we knew we were in for a great weekend. We booked the Lakeside Cabin, which was perfect for our group of 11 (and worked great since it was a little separate from the rest of the ranch - we were a little loud so it was nice to not feel like we were bothering other guests).

The laid back attitude of the staff really helped make us feel welcome and comfortable, and while there were activities we made sure to do, we still had lots of downtime at our house and at the lake.The family style dinners were so much fun, and the fact that they were inclusive of the rate made it so much easier with a big group. We had a lot of fun at the saloon on Friday night, and a great time at the lake on Saturday. The real standout was the guided horse riding for a couple hours on Saturday - our group varied from experienced riders to beginners, but everyone was paired with a horse based on their skills and had a lot of fun. The horses were so beautiful and are obviously the main draw and focus of the Flying U.

I know a bachelorette party is maybe not the typical group coming to the Flying U, but I would 100% recommend this place for any type of group weekend or family trip. Thank you Flying U for the wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: Lakeside Cabin or Cariboo for large groups.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank ErinC3003
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

My family and I visited the ranch and attending the canada day event. It was a lot of fun. The staff was friendly and put on an amazing event for the kids with horse back riding, fire truck show, treasure hunt and petting zoo. Lunch was delicious home cooking in a beautiful log dining area. Bonus is its right across from green lake which during the summer months is an amazing swimming spot. Look forward to future visits.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family