“It was a very good vocation”

Hotel San Giorgio Terme
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Barano d'Ischia
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I was in this hotel in the begining of June. Personal is very kind :). Many thanks to them. There is no russian speaking managers. They speake English and Germane because there are many German visitors. But in the hotel is one man house keeper who is russian speaking and could help if you understand nothing.
I like to eat good. I was satisfied.
I had a single room with view on the mountains. Rooms are cleane. The hotel beach is clean and better then the beach which is more close to Sant Angelo because there are many boats at holidays.
Very good spa zone. I am regret that I did not made massages, because another person who stay with me in the hotel and have a problems with her back said that it was realy very good and professional.
Very quite hotel. It is for people who wants to find silence. Hotel has very good views.
It is placed at the Via Maronti. If you want to reach Barano d"Ischia you have to take the bus № 5 and arrive to the top of the hill. To go on foot I do not recomend because it is too far. Bus is not a problem. If you want to make shopping you have to go to Ischia Porto Via Roma. At Via Luigi Mazzella you could buy different memorabilia.
I wish to all visitors to have

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Olga805

Reviewed 11 May 2011

I enjoyed my stay at this very welcoming hotel. The staff were so helpful and kind. The spa facilities were wonderful and very efficiently run. The food was some of the best I have ever eaten, I love fish and there was always a fish dish on the menue. The pasta was a delight especially the Fetticini Limone.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Traveller37_11
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Went to this hotel with my Italian friend from Rome. As soon as staff knew we were not German we were treated like outcasts. We had booked a room with a seaview and were given a basic room on the second floor - no lift so a real problem carrying luggage up the stairs - im not very fit and no help offered by staff, they are very rude. The decor is dated, painted surfaces need renewing, blind was torn, window shutters are dangerous, I trapped my fingers but the staff did'nt care although we reported this twice. There were infestations of ants/bugs on the floor and around the fitted furniture. There were no robes in our room for use in the spa, we had to ask. The "double" room booked has twin beds pushed together, beds are hard, only one extra pillow. The breakfast was ok, buffet , but be quick, very limited times for eating. Same with dinner, you only have one hour, regimented, miserable atmosphere, nobody smiles, we felt uncomfortable and glad that they pushed us in a corner away from the German guests.
The food is good but fairly limited, there is always pineapple for desert if you want it!! The hotel has spectacular views and the thermal pools/spa are good - it is not 4 star by British standards - and on the room keys it says 3 star. There are some great beach restaurants where you can find excellent traditional Ischia cuisine. I wouldn't go to this hotel again unless I changed my nationality to German....if you go here, don't expect to have fun! On the positive side, the spa facilities are great....but don't expect to find a sunbed by the pool, unless you are German!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank id0ntthinks0
Reviewed 2 August 2008

Really fresh hotel- looks like it was recently renovated. Very clean, although there was a hair in my dinner one night. For an extra 10 euro a night we were able to upgrade to half board, which meant we had a 4 course dinner every night as well as breakfast- excellent value for money. I hated the old style shower curtains but loved the black out shutter in the room which ensured a great night's sleep. The staff were very attentive but not in your face. Biggest problem here is that all the hotel info and menues are in italian and german, with few people having much english at all. The location is idyllic, and even though it was late July was certainly not overrun with people. The hotel is very close to the beach (down some steps) and its great that the hotel has its own private section on the beach with free use of sun loungers with umbrellas. Please be warned that the area is extremely quiet- very little shops or things to do. If its rest and relaxtion you are after then its the right place for you. If you are into activities and shopping then don't stay here. Tip- we got a taxi from the port to the hotel and were charged 30 euro. On our way home we got the No. 5 bus at the entrance of the hotel (it goes every 20 minutes) and were taken to the port for €1.50!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank frontrowfemale
Reviewed 18 October 2007

i stayed at this hotel with my mother who has mobility problems.
we opted to get ourselves to and from the hotel as it cost 110 euros per person and that was too much for me. thanks to other the other trip advisor subscribers i knew about the Alibus - 3 euros each and then to the medmar ferry cost 9 euros each ,the trip lasting 90 mins. we docked in Ischia Porto and after a bit of a walk to the bus stn we caught the number 5 bus to maronti - we bought a ticket from the booth costing 1,20 euros to Maronti - this took 25 mins. lovely place right on the beach - well cliff... oh my word, when i saw the steep path up to the hotel, a cable car would not have gone amiss- my poor mum - half way up dragging 2 suitcases a lively young waiter sprung round the corner grabbing my cases - sadly he could not firemans lift my mum and led us to reception. there the manager took us to our room which was thankfully on the ground floor - no view but a pleasant patio and next to the restaurant and pool - good for mum - not sure if that was luck or because i'd called and mentioned mum's walking problem. though the staff spoke barely any english they were all warm and very professional - wouldn't even let you carry a coke to the pool ( and no expectation of tips either) silver service in the restaurant , but buffet salad bar , so 5 courses in all. i had to go to bed straight after - it was like christmas every meal - and i lost weight despite this and the ice cream , full cream lattes,cake etc - you could have as many puddings as you liked - the cheescake and brownies were fabulous. i have to say as a lover of veal it was a little too often served and as i do not like fish ate that but all heavenly - lots of food but well cooked and healthy. some people had full board i don't think i could have handled all the food. trips also organised by the hotel the beach is fabulous with its volcanic black sand asnd free sunbeds for the hotel guests. The Ischians don't seemed that well disposed to the British in general , maybe because we arent used to the thuggish way you get pushed around on the buses and CAN'T get off safely and mention it but the hotel staff were fantastic. lovely food along the beach clean loos. a lovely place to holiday . the hotel thermal pool fab - you can't drown you just float like a little water fairy - though everything hurts when you get out as your joints have been relieved of every burden and the sudden force of gravity hits you - a bit like the after effects of an alexander therapy session if you've ever had one. the hotel has a sister hotel on the beach the smeraldo - its grounds are diving with 3 pools - more expensive i gather and still a walk for access to the bus but better if your legs are dodgy. may do that is i go back with mum - well done to the italians for preserving their country and customs though i am sad that the whole world has lost it manners when travelling - a fact that is invading the uk too - all for the sake of getting ones posterior onto a seat people seem willing to maim - what has happened to people? go to Ischia and enjoy

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank magyarkiz
Reviewed 9 July 2007

I have just recently returned from this beautiful hotel and island, if you are in search of peace, relaxation,beauty, tranquility and a class A spa this is the place for you. Just a short walk to the most beautiful beaches I have seen. The close surrounding sights are truly one of a kind.

The staff is most helpful and they will help you with any arrangements you may want to make for day trips.

If you like the busyness of a city you can get that here also, take a short walk up the hill to the bus which will take you into the port of Ischia, which is a busy shopping/business district or speak with your conceirge at the hotel, they can arrange a day trip to Capri or any of the other islands that surround Ischia.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank E0114
Reviewed 28 June 2007

The hotel is located on one of the best beaches, which is the main attraction here. There are waves! Some of the other beaches are very calm and much more like lakes...
Overall, though the hotel is nothing so special. To get up and down to the beach there are 138 steps to climb (I had time to count, we were there for a week). The staff is okay and the room was okay. It is very German centric, with German being much easier to converse in than English. Luckily, they did turn the air-conditioning on, since we were also experiencing a bit of a heat wave. The hotel offers full & half pensions, we opted out of this and only did the bed & breakfast. There are not many restaurants in the area, aside from the little hut restaurants on the beach, although the food was okay, nothing so special. Better to take the bus (30 mins away) to Ischia Porto.
We had spent our first week by Citara at the Hotel Semiramis, we loved it much better there. Friendly staff, nicely decorated rooms, better restaurants in the area & also easier to get to the rest of the island for evening options.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank italianogermano
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barano d'Ischia
Hotel Parco Smeraldo Terme
Miramare e Castello Hotel
Villa Durrueli
Villa Durrueli
#4 of 70 in Ischia

Been to Hotel San Giorgio Terme? Share your experiences!