“Not so good on this occaision” 3 of 5 bubbles

Black Bull
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Corbridge
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
highcliffe
“Not so good on this occaision”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I and members of my family usually visit this restaurant once a year (I live on the South Coast) and in the past I have usually been pleased with my meal.
This visit however proved somewhat different.
I had a bread and olive starter which was OK but for mains I chose a Game Pie with veg and chips.
The veg were OK but the pie was very poor. The pastry (probably 85% of the pie) was extremely thick, and the filling, although very tasty, was mainly sauce and included a few small cubes of meat which tasted more like beef than game. The chips were dreadful. I hate oven chips, and if these weren't oven chips, then they were very poorly fried.
I should add however that the other six members of my family were all very happy with their meals.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Quiet and enjoyable evening meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Really enjoyed my second evening meal at The Black Bull, though perhaps the younger male staff serving did lack smiles and enthusiasm.

Food is of a good standard, with a large and diverse selection of dishes, and there are a couple of vegetarian options in each section of the menu. The atmosphere is quiet and friendly, which I like. The fire was going and made the place feel cosy. A lovely place to visit for a sit down meal and conversation.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Not impressed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Firstly, please can the female staff be more friendly and learn to smile??? It costs nothing to be pleasant and the woman and girl here when we visited looked like they'd lost a tenner and found a bottle top!!!

The food was average, surroundings ok but service lacking and it'll make me think twice about coming back.

We are local and normally choose this place over other eateries in the village but being greeted by such miserable staff nearly put me off my food.

It might be a while before we return to this place.

1 Thank billyridley
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Visited here 2nd April at lunch time.
Our food consisted of two sizzling Chicken Fajitas, Smothered Chicken with Chips and a pulled pork Pork sandwich.
The Sandwich was dry and cold my wife found it difficult to eat.
The Chicken Fajitas were also cold with tiny pots of cheese, guacamole, salsa and sour cream. The wraps that came with it were cold and of poor quality. There was also no fresh salad with this dish which considering the tiny size of the Salsa ect would have improved the dish considerably. Both myself and my eldest daughter both agreed these were the worst fajitas we have ever had.
The Smothered chicken was the only acceptable dish but even then it was let down by poor quality chips.
There are other places to eat in Corbridge and we will check these out soon.
We wont be going back to the Black Bull.

1 Thank Mick362
Durham, United Kingdom
“Rather Disappointing - Must Try Harder.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

It has been an number of years since I visited The Black Bull Inn in the lovely Northumberland market town of Corbridge. On arrival at this rather busy pub you are greeted by friendly bar staff. However, it is very noticeable that the pubs decor, furniture and fittings are now looking a little out dated. Our choice of food today ranged from a chicken and bacon sandwich with chips to half a roast chicken with salad. Overall the sandwich was quite tasty despite one side of the bread being very dry. The spoonful of salad that accompanied the sandwich was very disappointing. With regards to the half roast chicken and salad, again I can only say an average meal prepared with little effort or love for food. I do believe there are other pubs in this market town offering better value for money, so chose wisely when visiting Corbridge.

1 Thank WoodlandsHall