“High quality and very tasty food”

Vaima Polynesian Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Titikaveka
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Cuisines: Polynesian, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are situated right on the beach. Imagine sitting on the beach with the sun setting, sipping your favourite cocktail and enjoying some of the best cuisine on the island - how romantic! We also offer a pizza take away service - forget the cooking - enjoy our pizza in your room/hotel or just sit on the beach with your feet in the water enjoying the food. We can cater for small private functions and weddings. Look forward to seeing you at the Vaima. We recommend that families book between 5.30 and 6.30 pm.
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We had a dinner in Vaima in November 2013. The restaurant's setting is truly spectacular: virtually on a quiet tropical beach (during the good weather that we had), but they also have a very large covered space to be used if it rains. On Friday evening (low season), the restaurant was not very full and our table (we reserved 2 days before) was one of the best and closest to the beach. Wines in Vaima are good and very reasonably priced. Service was good and unexpectedly very fast. All food we ate was very fresh, great quality, and also very tasty. I attach a couple of photos to demonstrate the presentation. For appetizers we had salt and pepper squid and Ika Mata (raw tuna), and for the main course we had pork belly (very original) and beef Wellington (delicious!). For dessert we had lemon lime cake - very subtle and nice - and meringue-based pavlova, which was incredibly good. After dinner, we stepped out 5 yards to the beach and this completed the perfection of Vaima experience.

1  Thank mden001
Write a ReviewReviews (1,311)

Reviewed 5 December 2013

My I had dinner here with my family whilst visiting them in Raro last week and really enjoyed the atmosphere and surroundings of this beautifully situated restaurant.

The front of house staff were friendly and inviting, we didn't have to wait long for drinks service to come out, the Corona Bucket was a good deal, six Corona's for $30 isn't bad for a restaurant.

The meals took a long time to come out however, and the pork belly had been taken out of the oven far too soon and it was not crispy, the seafood curry was nice, but please give us more!! and also more pieces of seafood, I counted three prawns in the entire curry.

That aside, I think the location and the atmosphere is Vaima's strong point, they do need to watch the food, especially with competition hotting up in Titikaveka.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I dined at Vaima's last Sunday (1st December 2013). We are regulars to Rarotonga from NZ, this was our 4th trip and 3rd visit to Vaima's.
Firstly - you can BYO wine which is fantastic if you are organised like me and brought a few "special occasion" wines from home. As a general rule, the wine choice isn't very extensive in Raro and in restaurants, it's limited to the large brands like Matua.
Getting back to Vaima - on Sunday night they had live music, which was really enjoyable. Especially since it rained that early evening so we were all sitting inside rather than on the beach.
We started with the garlic and cheese pita, which was like a little pizza served with guacamole. My husband had the pork belly: he loved it. A very big serve, well cooked, nice vegetables and potato sides. I had the fish of the day - also excellent. We were too full to consider deserts on this occasion.
The only reason for the 4 and not 5 star review is because of the service. It was a bit hit and miss. It took ages to get wine glasses for our wine, and then water, then a chiller for the bottle. However soon enough we were tucking into our wine and the starter arrived, and the service was great for the rest of the evening.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We liked this restaurant very much. We had the catch of the day that was very tasty and well cooked. The other choice was the other fish platter in the menu, but I would not reccomend it: it was good but it is a mmix of asian cousine and other staff. Too much mixing that I do not prefer. The desserts were great: I had a plate with 4 different small portion of cakes and ice creams: it was very good. I reccomend to have the lemon cake! They have a very useful pick up service.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Was here in July and service was terrible. Tonight service was good. The let down was the food. For entrees our group ordered the salt and pepper squid, ika mata and garlic prawns. My ika mata was bland, there was no seasoning, I had to add salt and pepper to make it edible. The wife's garlic prawns came with a curry sauce was suppose to be garlic flavoured. The pick of the entrees was the squid, also nicely presented. The girls had the catch of the day, broadbill, thinly cut, a lacklustre paw paw salsa and came with boiled potatoes and sauteed vegetables so not inspiring. The pork belly this time had a better crackling, a standard apple sauce, some sliced apple on top which looked out of place. Again served with boiled potatoes and sauteed vegetables. There was a small dollop of rukau. The other main was a chicken pasta very large and passable. Noted comments on TA in regards to the Key Lime Pie, looked to have green food colouring, more like a blanc mange, the lime taste very mild, it was more like a commercial cheesecake. So I would not recommend this restaurant for its food, service was commendable for the Cook Islands. Would I go back, no not after two strike outs. On this trip the best three were LBV(Muri )/The Sands and Tamarind House. In actual our best meal was Broadbill bought from Ocean Fresh and done on the BBQ; as an entree tuna done sashimi style again from same shop.