“Fantastic food”

Sands Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Titikaveka
Price range: US$9 - US$23
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brisbane
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

My husband and I had dinner here twice and went back for dessert on our last night on the Island. The food was so delicious. They have a very talented chef there. We went there for my birthday dinner, sat right on the beach, could not have got more romantic or special. If you are staying Rarotonga do yourself a favour and have dinner here at least once

Visited November 2013

nz
“Can only be described as mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This restaurant now has some outside dining on a deck overlooking the lagoon. It was a fine evening without wind so was very pleasant.

We were amongst the first diners to arrive. We ordered a bottle of wine from the adequate, but slightly overpriced, wine list.

We ordered reasonably quickly – unusually he cannot remember his choice. I ordered the nori enclosed tuna which I’d had before.

For mains he ordered a fish dish which sounded interesting and I ordered a chicken dish – again unusually I can’t remember details.

What we remember well is that the entrees took an age to arrive, just on 1 hour. We were hugely hungry by then. Far, far too long to wait and the restaurant certainly wasn’t busy at that time. My choice was good and he thinks his was OK.

My chicken main was fine but not, I regret, memorable. He enjoyed his fish dish but found it a little too ‘soupy’ for his liking. We did comment about the elaborate decorating of the plates which really did nothing to enhance the flavours of the food.

We did not stay for dessert.

It’s interesting that we are so vague about our food choices on this occasion. Obvously they were not bad or the memory would have stuck. But just as obviously, the meal was just mediocre.

The prices were not exorbitant, but then again there was a 3% surcharge imposed for using a credit card, which we read recently was declared against local banking rules. A pity the restaurant doesn’t comply. None of the other restaurants we visited added this surcharge.

I doubt we will return next year.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank nzlilibet
Auckland, New Zealand
“another great meal at this restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

As always the food was fantastic . I love the fact that you can dine right on the beach if the weather is good. Great service again … we will be back

Visited November 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Sunday night BBQ not that good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

As hotel guests we had a breakfast there - it was the worst of the three hotels we stayed at. Cereal was not served packed as elsewhere but from glass containers which meant it wasn't as fresh and crispy as it should be. The spreads were served in the same manner, not very appealing.

Sunday night BBQ really disappointed. At $35 pp there were a few salads, garlic bread and four types of meat (not from a BBQ!); sausage, fish, chicken (and beef I think). Would have loved a warm side such as potato or rice... Desserts were pretty good, especially truffle cake.

On another dining occasion I had an entree (felt mains were overpriced) and it was quite good too. Milkshakes were nice too.

• Visited October 2013
Napier, nz
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Beautiful fresh food, reasonable prices, fabulous quick service, waterfront, lovely clean restaurant.

Visited October 2013