“A good little restaurant”
Review of Sands Restaurant

Sands Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 8 Restaurants in Titikaveka
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Great dining, mouth-watering cocktails and a warm relaxed atmosphere are just a few reasons to visit the onsite 'Moana Restaurant & Bar' at Moana Sands Beachfront Hotel. 'Moana' is an island favourite with a reputation for serving quality local and international cuisine. Moana has just launched a new menu & wine list as well as the world famous $3.50 'Beer on Tap' all day special featuring Raro Lager, Steinlager & Cider. Available for breakfast, lunch & dinner - daily.
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We'd avoided this restaurant on our last few trips as we had a bad meal some years ago. But we decided to give it another try.

Having booked a table, we arrived to a somewhat off-hand welcome but made us wonder if we had made the right decision. But things did improve.

The restaurant itself is not the most attractive, a little claustrophobic inside. It's better in the outside covered area but all it has is a view of cars passing along the road.

The wine list is not extensive, but we chose a reasonably priced bottle of one the house whites which was totally acceptable.

For starters we chose ika mata and nori encrusted tuna. Both were excellent and we'd be happy to eat the same again.

For mains, it had to be the local pork. It was good, served on a bed of mashed potatoes with a sauce which was a little sweet for our tastes. No other garnish. Had there been a few snake beans or rukau to accompany the dish it would have changed from a good into an excellent dish (there were no sides of vegetables available on the menu).

So we were glad we decided to revisit this restaurant despite the lack of welcome. We will eat there again on our next visit.

1  Thank nzlilibet

Reviewed 8 November 2010

The Paw Paw Patch was the choice for our last meal on the island and we wish we had eaten there earlier as we would have been back several times for sure. We were well used to dining the Raro way so arrived as soon as the restaurant opened and made sure we had our own water. The evening was really hot and humid so we sat near the open dining area facing the road but it was still pretty hot without having the breeze from the beach cool is down. Service was very pleasant but as with other restaurants there isn't always much of an interaction between staff and diners. A great selection on the menu made it difficult to choose but eventually the Thai style fish won out for me and the local pork was always going to be the choice for my husband. The fish (swordfish) was absolutely delicious and I almost inhaled it right down to the last grain of rice. The sauce was very hot and spicy and much to my liking. The only grumble from my husband was that he loved his so much he was disappointed when it was all gone. Desserts were the cashew and coconut pie for me (how could I resist that combination) and the paw paw brulee (house specialty) for my husband. As delicious as the brulee was, I was more than satisfied with the pie and savoured every single delectable crumb. The Paw Paw Patch was only time someone checked if our meals were okay and it was also one of the more reasonably (and realistically) priced restaurants. Another bonus was the open kitchen where you could see that everything was prepared fresh from scratch. The Paw Paw was definitely one of my favourite restaurants and I'm so pleased we got to dine there at least once.

Reviewed 10 October 2010

We went for breakfast based on the reviews but were quite disappointed.
The food wasn't as tasty and the coffee wasn't as good as what we had elsewhere on the island.
The clanging from the kitchen was quite noisy and didn't have a good feel about whether they wanted us there.

1  Thank tysontrip
Reviewed 9 October 2010

My wife and I just returned from a 2-week trip to the Cook Islands (Aitutaki, Atiu, Rarontonga) and our favorite restaurant was the Pawpaw Patch. We visited this establishment 2x for their fish curry. It was delicious.

I did a great amount of research on trip advisor prior to our trip -- and this was the only restaurant that blew away my expectations. The first night that we went, a local artist name Kuru, was performing and that really made the night amazing.

Reviewed 13 September 2010

We choose this restaurant for evening dining because my car decided the journey to Vaimaanga was too far! We had no reservation, but the waitress was happy to show us to a good spot nearest to the roadside, and a welcoming breeze. Service was most pleasant, orders were taken promptly, generous sav. blanc. Pretty garden setting, wines chilled well, and the tables and surrounds were clean and attractive. I really enjoyed the chicken main served with hot vegetables. My dinner guest declared that her hot beef salad was the best she has eaten in Raro. for an entree size, she received a most generous portion! We shared dessert which although the signature dessert (our first choice) had already sold out the Coconut-cashew pie was yummy all the same.

The mid-week night we dined, Pawpaw Patch featured Kura Happ as the guest artist. Kura has a rich melodic voice, but her accoustics and sound system was too pumped up for us middle-aged folk . Still, the young crowd who appeared around 9pm were obvious fans of the pub night experience. It's good to see that somewhere on the south side of the island offers a little night life for the benefit of our younger island visitors, and locals alike. Very nice to meet the owner of the Pawpaw Patch restaurant at the end of the meal. After spending a busy time in the kitchen, the proprietor was happily greeting his remaining customers individually once the heat of the day had cleared, and evening dining was completed. Nice touch! And yes we will be back - I want to taste that Pawpaw brulee!!

1  Thank Frangipani08