“ABSOLUTE PACIFIC LUXURY”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Titikaveka
Marlborough, New Zealand
“ABSOLUTE PACIFIC LUXURY”
Reviewed 16 September 2009

My husband & I have recently enjoyed a wonderful, relaxed holiday at the Little Poly. We cannot rate this resort high enough. It is right on the best beach on Roro overlooking the brilliant blue lagoon. The accomodation, reception and cafe are architeturally designed with a modern pacific look and a very elegant feel. It is the people who always make our holidays so special and the staff of Little Poly is no exception. They are all so friendly and deliver a very personal and professional service. The accomodation is very clean and spacious and our unit had a wonderful day bed on the front deck. The restaurant is of a very high quality and I know many quests were of the same opinion and, like us, didn't venture out dining. We have become part of the Little Poly family and very much look forward to going back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Milan
Reviewed 4 September 2009

I have been to little poly as part of my honeymoon in August. We were supposed to stay there for 6 nights but after 3 we run away!
The first night the sheets of the bed were humid and smelly. They only changed them in the morning. Breakfast is terrible and i was even asked weather they could bring breakfast at 9 pm for the follwing morning. The service is not professional making every little thing a huge hassle. This is a real pity as the location is very nice and the chef also very nice and professional but unfortunately it is not him to make decisions about everything.
Would never go back!

7 Thank Pavel74
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My husband and my sister and her husband have just returned from 17days in the Cook Islands and the last 3 days were spent at Little Polynesian. The beachfront villas are large and comfortable with a modern style interior however , I felt it did not reflect an island type atmosphere compared to the other places we had stayed at , Royal Takitumu and Pacific Resort Atutaki. ( See separate reviews ) The spa and shower out the back are a good feature but the down side was that the access area is mainly sand with a few pavers so that bringing sand inside is unavoidable.We did not have a mat whereas my sisters bungalow did and when one was requested it took a few hours to be delivered to the room ( after I had used bath towels to clean the wooden floor ).Another flaw is that while the front deck is a reasonable size the amount of overhead protection is minimal and its not possible to sit outside when it rains (which it did for most of our stay). The service was mediocre (we had to carry our own bags to the room on arrival and on departure) and requests for items which should be avaliable in the room (such as milk , crockery , cutlery and beach towels ) meant a lengthy delay before they were delivered to the room.I requested a non muesli cereal for breakfast and was assured no problem there but next morning the dreaded muesli appeared again.We mentioned on 2 occasions that some of the light globes needed replacing (we could'nt read outside at night ) and while we were told they would be fixed promptly but nothing happened to rectify this during our entire stay. I felt that staff viewed such matters as imposition to their somewhat unbusy schedule and while they were civil I had the impression that customer service is not a high priority with this establishment and given that it's in the more expensive price range I would have expected a better attitude overall.On the plus side the dinner meals were good especially the Tuna but the small serve of breakfast fruits for the Tropical breakfast were of poor quality .I would suggest that each Bungalow have their own beach chairs out on the sand in front as the only few that were available were way down the opposite end. While the location of Little Polynesain is possibly one of the best for swimming snorkelling those thinking of a value for money accommodation this is not the place to choose and the quality of service leaves a lot to be desired when compared to the other places we stayed at.

2 Thank stargaize1
new zealand
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Loved staying at Little Polynesia. The lagoon and kayaks, warm water, a motor scooter and great range of restaurants. Fantastic.
Found the horse-riding a little daunting but the horses appeared to know what they were doing!
Enjoyed running along the beach and lots of tours available.
Would certainly return.

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 25 July 2009

I went to Raro and stayed at the Little Poly with my girlfriend. We had an amazing time at the hotel. The staff was amazing, so attentive and caring. They knew all of the guests names, which was a nice touch. The rooms are perfect, we were upgraded to a beach bungalow. The outdoor shower and bath is great especially when it's sunny out. The rooms were so clean.

I had left the safe/lock box in the room unlocked accidentally one day. One of the housekeeping staff tracked me down on the beach to let me know, I then locked it up. I use this as an example of how great and honest the staff is.

I will go on record to say Billie (who works in the restaurant) gave us by far THE best service we've ever experienced in our life. He constantly made sure we were taken care of and that the food was to our liking. She always kept the Steinlagers coming my way!
The last night we were there, we asked him to sit with us for a little bit and talk to us. It was really nice. Billie, I know you told me you read these reviews! Jacque and I miss you! We had such a great time thank you again for everything!

The food was the best on the island. We went to the best restaurants on the island (Tamarind House, Windjammer etc) this had the best food. My girlfriend and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary there. The best dish was the Seared Yellow Fin Tuna. The best fish dish I've eaten. Everything was so fresh.
The omlettes at breakfast are the size of a human head, and they are quite good too.

I have nothing bad to say whatsoever about the Little Poly. I am seriously considering another trip back there soon (maybe even to look at some property!).

It was the best vacation of my life.

-Ryan M.
San Francisco, USA

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Otterman11
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 July 2009

From the moment we stepped into the Little Polynesian until we left we were just in love with the place. We arrived and were warmly welcomed with a lovely drink and glorious views of the lagoon and reef. The reality is every bit as beautiful as the photos on the website.

The overbeach Ares are amazing, the whole layout is designed luxuriously and perfect with every comfort in mind. My husband kept saying that he never thought he’d ever stay somewhere this beautiful. From the Are you can hear the sound of the reef at the same time as you hear the water lapping the sand just outside. You can lie in bed and watch the sun come up and the lagoon turn blue. It is really private and designed so that you rarely even see your neighbour unless you wish to. From the luxurious double headed shower you can see the stars in the sky or the profile of the lush mountains. You can have an outdoor spa in total privacy.

Little Poly is in the perfect location whereby you can sunbathe, snorkel, swim and kayak all day. My husband had his very own “Finding Nemo” moment with a tropical fish! It is on the southern side so it is a little cooler and not as humid. They get a welcome breeze at times. The July temperatures were just right for us and we didn’t have any rain.
We also enjoyed long walks along the beach to Muri and also in the western direction to watch the sand turn golden from the setting sun.

While we were there someone got married at Little Poly and watching from a distance it looked so amazing, no better venue or location and the staff all in attendance. The sun was setting and it was unimaginably beautiful.

The staff was really pleasant and helpful in a laid back and relaxed manner. Teina was wonderful with everything. He dealt with a minor housekeeping manner in a prompt and efficient way. Mereana was lovely and ordered in plenty of my favourite wine! We really miss Billie’s lovely cappuccinos and fruit smoothies that gave us the energy for our afternoon walks.
I can recommend the Grilled Broadbill from the restaurant, it was superb.

All in all we can only think of positives and because of Little Poly we have just had the most amazing and very special holiday that was everything we could have imagined. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Toddy04
Washington, DC
Reviewed 18 July 2009

What a wonderful start to our honeymoon! Upon arrival (at 7 a.m.), we were greeted by our gracious hostess with some tropical juice and our bags were whisked away to our a're (aka bungalow). We spent 6 nights at the Little Poly and were immediately mesmerized by the view from our beachfront A're. After seeing the garden a'res, we highly recommend spending the extra money to stay beach side! The rooms have minimal modern furniture with a flat screen TV and DVD player, but the A're itself is constructed traditionally. The outside daybed was a nice touch, as was the outdoor shower space complete with whirlpool tub. Another big plus is that the resort filters all their water so you don't have to worry.

Every morning, we chose to have our breakfast brought to our a're - you can also opt to eat more socially at the L.P. Cafe - so we could enjoy the early morning tranquility of the lagoon. Although we unfortunately had quite a bit of rain during our stay, we still got in a couple of leisurely walks on the perfectly combed beaches. L.P.'s beach is by far the best-maintained and cared for on the island! The swimming/snorkeling is also supposed to be wonderful, though we did not get to enjoy due to weather. The lobby was nicer than any we saw, and every time we were picked up for a group tour, the other couples would exclaim how beautiful the resort looked. It was!

We recommend the resort's Cafe for dinner (for no extra charge, the staff will deliver room service so you can enjoy your meal inside your bungalow or on your private deck), as well as Tamarind House, which is just down the road a little ways, closer to town. Be sure to pay a visit to the Beachcomber, where you can sort through various-priced black pearls and select based on personal preference.

We encountered a few ants around the kitchen sink, though experienced the same sort of thing at two of the other places we stayed, so attribute that to the basic island "experience." Our only other minor complaint was some confusion related to service. Although every staff member was friendly and helpful, it seemed some of our requests had to be repeated several times, and even confirming our requests later did not lead to follow through. We would have hoped for above and beyond service given the price and aforementioned beautiful facilities. However, the spectacular resort did not line up with the service.

Overall, we would like to recommend this place, and if we find ourselves back on Rarotonga in the future, we will probably be staying at Little Poly again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TeamDoubleJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Titikaveka
Muri Beach Club Hotel
Te Manava Luxury Villas & Spa
Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach
Moana Sands Beachfront Hotel & Villas
Pacific Resort Rarotonga
Rumours Luxury Villas and Spa

Been to Little Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!