Little Polynesian Resort
Moana Sands Beachfront Hotel(Titikaveka)(Great Value!)
US$253
US$221
US$193
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Aro'a Beachside Inn(Arorangi)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$193
US$145
US$141
Travelocity
Agoda.com
All reviewsinfinity poolgarden roomour honeymooncook islandshot breakfastspa bathbeach bungalowtropical breakfastfishhouse keepingika mataoff the menuromantic dinnerpaddle boardsoutdoor showerfruit platterspent nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 September 2009

I have just returned from a wonderful, albeit too brief, trip to Rarotonga and can't say enough great things about Little Polynesia. In all my years of travel, I have never felt so embraced and truly cared for at any property I have visited... even when I was working full time as a travel journalist.

Little Poly is a stunning property and it is well worth the extra expense to stay in one of their beautifully appointed over the beach bungalows. The decor is contemporary and stylish, the bathrooms to die for with enough room for a rugby team, an outdoor jet tub, and indoor and outdoor showers, while the outdoor deck and day bed are heaven-sent.

My only regret is that I was travelling alone and didn't have anyone with me to share what is arguably one of the most romantic resorts in one of the loveliest locations anywhere. I have fond memories sitting on my deck with the morning light hitting the lagoon and enjoying an ample daily breakfast of fresh tropical fruits, yoghurt, toast, meusli, and perfectly brewed coffee... included in the room rate with no extra charge for room service.
A very nice touch especially for those with more reason than me to stay in bed!

The restaurant at the edge of Little Poly's stunning salt water infinity pool, offers a wide range of reasonably priced lunch and dinner options, with the Happy Hour bonus of tapas and cocktails from 4pm to 6pm. (The chicken wings and prawn wontons are a must-try.)

A word of warning: Portions are HUGE on European standards with appetizers the size of your average main course in the UK, but the food is delicious with Chef Carlos harnessing the freshest local ingredients in dishes that showcase his own Latin American culinary spin. The shrimp with a chorizo ragout was delicious as were the super-fresh scallops wrapped in proscuitto. Again, for those wishing to share romantic moments back in their bungalow, room service is provided gratis.

While most of my time was spent on the sun lounger soaking in the rays, I did make use of the local bus service which provides an affordable, reliable and fun way to see the island. At only NZ$7 for a return trip to the capital of Avarua, it's excellent value. I was lucky in that my visit coincided with the Saturday market just outside the centre of town and well worth the effort of dragging yourself away from the beach. Replete with local craft, food, and entertainment (there was a lively dance group performing to raise money for an upcoming trip) you can easily lose yourself for a couple of hours and come back with plenty of souvenirs for the family back home.

Another highly recommended activity is the hike across the centre of the island. The scenery is magnificent and if you are lucky enough to have Pa as your guide, it will be filled with marvellous stories about the power of medicinal herbs and the ancient history of the Cook Islands. Anyone with bad knees should avoid this particular hike as there are some scrambling uphills and some pretty steep downhill sections too.

But of all the attractions this little South Pacific gem has to offer, the true jewels are the people themselves, most especially the owners and staff of Little Poly-- Jeannine, Dorice, Mereana, Teina, Billie , all of the beautiful women in housekeeping and in the restaurant. It's not easy to smile and exude genuine enthusiasm at 2am, or to deliver seamless and discrete service at a property which emphasised relaxation and privacy, but they managed brilliantly to do just that. They are the ones who will continue to bring me back to Little Poly... next time for longer and with boyfriend in tow!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank mollymic
Reviewed 22 September 2009

My wife and I spent two nights and three days at the Little Polynesian. From the moment we arrived, at 01:30 to the time that we left (late check out), we enjoyed ourselves.

Upon our early arrival we were greeted with a smile and information about the resort and the surrounding area. The options for breakfast were explained to us, that is, cold tropical breakfast or hot and the dining hours.

Our luggage was taken to our room, and when we arrived would could not have been more pleased. We were room number one which meant that we were at the end and even more secluded with only one room next to us. The shades had already been drawn and the room ready for sleep. The room was spacious and clean. I have previously read reviews of people encountering all sorts of insects. Whilst we did notice the odd ant, even a gecko or some sort of lizard, one has to remember that the resort is right on the beach and little things like that will occur. The outside day bed is perfect for those lazy afternoons.

We were particularly impressed by the efficiency of the cleaning service. Everything was cleaned including the sofa and day bed pillows.

The Little Polynesian offers you snorkeling and kayak equipment. The snorkeling is fantastic! You need only venture a couple of meters or yards before you encounter the most colourful tropical fish.

The restaurant provided high quality food. Surprisingly, we found the prices to be extremely reasonable for this type of resort. Like many others, we dined every night at the resort restaurant. Though a word of caution, the dinner menu does not change that often with only one or two dishes changing every night. Longer stays may require more variety.

If you are looking for an island paradise away from the masses of tourists you could do no wrong at the Little Polynesian. Kia orna!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HochEV
Reviewed 16 September 2009

My husband & I have recently enjoyed a wonderful, relaxed holiday at the Little Poly. We cannot rate this resort high enough. It is right on the best beach on Roro overlooking the brilliant blue lagoon. The accomodation, reception and cafe are architeturally designed with a modern pacific look and a very elegant feel. It is the people who always make our holidays so special and the staff of Little Poly is no exception. They are all so friendly and deliver a very personal and professional service. The accomodation is very clean and spacious and our unit had a wonderful day bed on the front deck. The restaurant is of a very high quality and I know many quests were of the same opinion and, like us, didn't venture out dining. We have become part of the Little Poly family and very much look forward to going back.

Reviewed 4 September 2009

I have been to little poly as part of my honeymoon in August. We were supposed to stay there for 6 nights but after 3 we run away!
The first night the sheets of the bed were humid and smelly. They only changed them in the morning. Breakfast is terrible and i was even asked weather they could bring breakfast at 9 pm for the follwing morning. The service is not professional making every little thing a huge hassle. This is a real pity as the location is very nice and the chef also very nice and professional but unfortunately it is not him to make decisions about everything.
Would never go back!

7  Thank Pavel74
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My husband and my sister and her husband have just returned from 17days in the Cook Islands and the last 3 days were spent at Little Polynesian. The beachfront villas are large and comfortable with a modern style interior however , I felt it did not reflect an island type atmosphere compared to the other places we had stayed at , Royal Takitumu and Pacific Resort Atutaki. ( See separate reviews ) The spa and shower out the back are a good feature but the down side was that the access area is mainly sand with a few pavers so that bringing sand inside is unavoidable.We did not have a mat whereas my sisters bungalow did and when one was requested it took a few hours to be delivered to the room ( after I had used bath towels to clean the wooden floor ).Another flaw is that while the front deck is a reasonable size the amount of overhead protection is minimal and its not possible to sit outside when it rains (which it did for most of our stay). The service was mediocre (we had to carry our own bags to the room on arrival and on departure) and requests for items which should be avaliable in the room (such as milk , crockery , cutlery and beach towels ) meant a lengthy delay before they were delivered to the room.I requested a non muesli cereal for breakfast and was assured no problem there but next morning the dreaded muesli appeared again.We mentioned on 2 occasions that some of the light globes needed replacing (we could'nt read outside at night ) and while we were told they would be fixed promptly but nothing happened to rectify this during our entire stay. I felt that staff viewed such matters as imposition to their somewhat unbusy schedule and while they were civil I had the impression that customer service is not a high priority with this establishment and given that it's in the more expensive price range I would have expected a better attitude overall.On the plus side the dinner meals were good especially the Tuna but the small serve of breakfast fruits for the Tropical breakfast were of poor quality .I would suggest that each Bungalow have their own beach chairs out on the sand in front as the only few that were available were way down the opposite end. While the location of Little Polynesain is possibly one of the best for swimming snorkelling those thinking of a value for money accommodation this is not the place to choose and the quality of service leaves a lot to be desired when compared to the other places we stayed at.

2  Thank stargaize1