A large hotel with spacious, very well-equipped bedrooms and friendly helpful staff. Lots of facilities and activities in and around the hotel. Good for families and as a base to explore the beautiful local countryside.
There were only two drawback for us. One was the size - we would have preferred a rather more intimate, country house hotel - but then we knew that beforehand. If you like Gleneagles, you will like Cameron House.
Our main issue, however, was the bar and restaurants - a disappointment. Inevitably perhaps because of the number of guests, they have a sort of upmarket cafeteria feel and were not very good value, either.
The Martin Wishart restaurant was quite good but didn't do it for us. Generally a high standard but some way short of our expectations. Not all of the dishes worked. Not enough staff nor well-trained enough to pull it off. Surprisingly long wait for a menu. Amuse Bouche came before the bread and butter. Empty bottles and aperitif glasses left on the table too long; obviously told not to leave the bottled water on the table, which is fine, but lack of attentiveness meant we had to keep asking for glasses to be refilled. Awkwardness and a lack of style in serving and removing plates. Picky, yes, but with its promotion and prices, these individually small things should be second nature to the staff. Good but expensive wine list.
We preferred the Boathouse - less aspirational. We didn't eat at the Cameron Grill.
Overall we were glad we stayed there - the warmth and friendliness of the staff was memorable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A magnificent baronial mansion surrounded by 100 acres of woodland, Cameron House on Loch Lomond, blends traditional Scottish influences with sumptuous contemporary decor to offer guests a memorable stay in the finest surroundings. This is your loch side Baronial mansion and so much more, with a Championship golf course, a luxury resort spa with rooftop infinity pool, a range of luxury traditional and contemporary suites with views overlooking Loch Lomond and some of the most supreme dining imaginable, all bundled up and served with the heartiest of Scottish hospitality. Cameron House on Loch Lomond is every part the five star Scottish experiences and located just 25 minutes from Glasgow International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Cameron House on Loch Lomond reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Cameron House Hotel West Dunbartonshire
- De Vere Cameron Hotel
- Cameron House Hotel
- De Vere Cameron Arden
- Cameron Hotel House
- Cameron House On Loch Lomond Alexandria, Scotland, UK