“Brilliant Birthday”

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here recently for my birthday and had a fabulous time. Being in our mid twenties, we did wonder if we would feel out of place, but all the staff were friendly and made us feel very welcome. Special mention to a very nice young brunette girl serving dinner and Russell(?) showing us to our room and valet parking the car. Nice welcoming plate of petit fours in the room on arrival and one of the nicest standard rooms I’ve stayed, albeit a bit cold!
We had dinner in the Cameron House Grill which was amazing. Loved how each dish had a few little extras for garnish not mentioned on the menu such as mini meringues with the apple tart tatin. The tables are very close to each other though. Very impressive selection for breakfast. We had booked an advance rate and being a Sunday found it surprising cheap. Overall would definitely stay again.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Hadn't been to stay at Cameron House for a few years, but had been aware that they had continued to invest in the property, and it was good to be able to return to see what they had done - which is very good indeed.

From the moment that you arrive, the staff give a real feeing of warmth and hospitality, which in a hotel as busy as this is not as easy as it might seem.

Rooms (at least the one that I had) are fabulous - well appointed and well designed in keeping with the style of hotel, but with the special touches and gadgets that today's traveller needs. My room had a view over the loch - and worth spending the bit extra for that alone.

I was there for a business event, and my wife used the Boat House at night to dine in - and she said that it was excellent, and worth the short walk from the main hotel building.

All-in-all an excellent experience - and would highly recommend to anyone - and only a short-ish journey from Glasgow.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the loch - stunning vista!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel itself is fine. I've stayed in other 5* that I think have done it better but in my opinion that's not the reason to stay. The hotel is sited on the banks of Loch Lomand which provides some of the most stunning and dramatic views. We had a glorious view from our room. The view changed by the minute and I could have watched it all day and wouldn't be bored!
The prices are very high (again compared with other hotels I've stayed in). We paid about £200 prpn for a standard double. I think the lack of other good quality hotels in the area give them the ability to charge what they like.
We stayed here to visit friends who lived close by so we didn't spend a great deal of time in the hotel. We had room service one night and thought that was good, fast and fairly priced (£8 for sandwich and chips).
Breakfast was good. Just be prepared to wait for up to 15mins to be seated. Best to go early to avoid a long wait.
Our room was fairly noisy during the night. There was a wedding in the hotel on the weekend we stayed so people were returning to their rooms throughout the night and doors slamming etc. the room above us had squeaky floorboards which could be heard quite loudly in our room.
There was also a really noisy motor/fan in ceiling which we couldn't figure out what it was for and how to turn off dispite pressing all buttons, turning heating /AC off..! We were room 27 So avoid that one if you're a light sleeper!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the loch
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Its been a few years since I last stayed and had forgotten how lovely it was. Reception is very dark as others say and its important to remember the way back to your room. I got lost on more than one occasion but maybe the time spent at the bar didn't help! Staff are great and would recommend a stay if you enjoy a quality experience. Rooms are fabulous

Room Tip: get one close to reception to avoid getting lost
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This hotel is expensive but a quality 5 star hotel, in a great lochside location on loch Lomond.

I visited it 10 years ago (before the extension and massive refurb)- it was fab back then- but now its changed ....its good, but I don't think it was what it once was.

Its now extremely dark in the corridors and (in particular) the rooms. It wont be to everyones taste I don't think. The hotel has a terrific bar- but it needs more lounges, other places to relax. For the money you expect more welcoming rooms.

Breakfast is superb.

We tried the Cameron grill; it is very nice inside, its quite expensive- but the food we found was good- but not quite as good as we expected.

Overall- for the money- could do a (little) better. I cant see us ever going back, bring back the old traditional Scottish luxury laird feel- what have you done to the place?!

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Recently stayed at Cameron house for two nights with my partner as a late birthday celebration.
The service was exceptional, from concierge/reception to the restaurant and bar and cleaning staff. Nothing was too much to ask and all the staff were very friendly. Happy birthday fudge on decorated plates made an appearance twice for my partner which was a lovely touch.
The room was spotless and the bed was unbelievably comfortable! My partner went to play golf for a morning.
The restaurant and bar staff had plenty of time to chat and assist with menu choices and which whisky to try!!! There's a huge choice!! The food in the grill restaurant is amazing and although not cheap it is definitely value for money.
I could go on and on (the traditional decor and open fires added to the experience) but it really is a lovely place to visit in beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

We were so looking forward to our Romantic weekend
We arrived and it was very busy people were complaining at the state there rooms were in and wanted moved
So we were made to wait , in the dark hallway
The porters were running around looking after the Americans as they know they have a habbit of tipping big . We were told where our room was and it took us 15 mins to find it in the warren of corridors
We were put in a end room very small very dark torn
Wallpaper and grubby looking .
We decided just to stay one night . I would go if I was given a upgrade and not before

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank john B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!