“Beautiful views shame about the hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Beautiful views shame about the hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited for a few days of R&R. I have waited three days before writing this . The reason I waited is because I left a letter for the general manager with a few of my observations , as yet no acknowledgement .
After reading the reviews I had high expectations however we were both quite underwhelmed by our experience .
The good things, we had a nice room with loch views which was extremely clean . My treatment I had at the Spa was excellent . I believe the lady had just won therapist of the year
The not so good
They seemed under staffed or as if they were winding down after Christmas.
We visited the boat house pleasant setting boasting a wide selection of seafood. On the night we ate there no oysters or muscles. They said the delivery hadn't turned up .
We went back to Scott's bar I ordered a Bellini, however they had no peaches ( in fairness they made an excellent raspberry one for me instead)
On the Monday night we ate in the cameron Grill food was fine nothing special though . We ordered a bottle of a Ruinart Rose they had sold out. We asked for verve clique instead however they had sold out. When we left the restaurant we were told they had had a busy Saturday and there deliveries didn't come till Tuesday . I had explained about the Boathouse the night before and she said she couldn't understand that as if the boathouse is low they would send from the main restaurant . Maybe someone couldn't be bothered. We then went back to Scott's bar and I noticed the fire was lit and it was quite cold . The waitress said to go sit in the main bit but stay away from the windows as it was cold . I found this bizarre so we just left . On the way back to the room I asked at reception for a comment card . The gentleman said that within half an hour of leaving we would receive one on line . I said I would prefer to put pen to paper . At no point did he ask me what the problem was , neither did we receive the email.Whilst the Spa is lovely the after service I received at reception was one of indifference . There were some nice staff there but I would be in no rush to return. It maybe a five star hotel but font go Sun to Tues as you most definitely won't receive 5 star service / standards

3 Thank Lilybuttons

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Turkish first
Somerset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed many times, handy for us if we want to travel north from Devon as it's easy to get to and beautifully located on the banks of the Loch. Rooms are lovely, although a little dark. Very well appointed. The great Scots Bar is great as is the Boat House, but a hotel this size lacks enough public rooms or areas, especially since they got rid of the little lounge beside Martin Wisharts restaurant.
Could be better if it was an independent hotel, has the chain feel to it. Also is quite expensive when you are there for what it is. The food isn't great, more 4 star than 5 but that's what you get with large hotels set up on a corporate strategy who cater for weddings and conferences as a good part of their bread and butter and also popular for non residents and weddings for people aspiring to a bit of luxury cluttering the public areas and lowering the tone of what could be an exclusive 'true' luxury hotel. The problem I guess is finding the balance between how they wish to be pitched. If you are an aspirational luxury hotel requiring the cash of the everyday man/woman in the street, there will always be a trade off.
When you look at it like this and stay during the week, it's a lovely place. We just avoid weekends. It loses it charm then for us.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Booked "Stay with me package " in September 2013 to stay January 2014 for partners 40th birthday celebration/surprise. Booked Claret jug for dinner as wanted relaxed atmosphere after spending day in spa and getting treatments. Had noticed that other restaurants have dress code. Also booked afternoon tea with spa direct but was then informed in December "we don't do afternoon tea in spa". On 18th January less than 24 hrs before arrival to hotel I received phone call from spa to say our meal at claret jug (which was included in package) had to be cancelled due to claret jug closing at 4pm . When I asked why it was closing?, I was informed "because of emergency". I asked to speak to manager and eventually managed to speak to Ewan grant who informed me "we decided to close claret jug early at end of December as lodges quiet ". Well I'm sorry, but what about all the other people that have paid their money and been booked since September , what about honouring their requirements?. Needless to say with the poor poor customer service I cancelled my stay and took my refund but this jut meant my partners birthday surprise was ruined. I have stayed in other 5star hotels and never received this level of poor service

1 Thank pauleen75
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have stayed here several times over the last few years and I always have a fabulous time. I was slightly worried about going back last November as I'd seen quite a few negative reviews on TripAdvisor and wondered if something had changed since last time I was here. I needn't have worried - Cameron House is still the best hotel I have stayed in.
From the moment you arrive you know you are somewhere special. I always love those first few moments when I drive along the side of the loch to reach the front of the hotel and am reminded of what a spectacular place this is. On arrival to the hotel I was met by a friendly member of the concierge team who offered to park my car and help me with my luggage. I found that the reception staff were just as warm and welcoming, asking how my journey had been and offering a reminder on where to find everything in the hotel. Yes, the reception area is quite dark but the wood panelling, candlelight and roaring fire are entirely in-keeping with the atmosphere of the hotel; you can easily imagine what it must have been like two hundred years ago. If you are looking for a light and airy modern hotel then I recommend trying somewhere else.
When I arrived at my room (very straightforward to find from reception - not sure how people get lost) I found that I had been upgraded to a loch view room which had incredible views over the front of the hotel, the loch and the sea plane! My room was large and spacious with a very comfortable king sized bed (and a set of bunk beds!). I also found a plate of fudge and a personalised note on the desk wishing me a fabulous stay. A really lovely gesture which got my stay off to a great start. Yes, the rooms are quite dark but again that is in keeping with the hotel atmosphere and there are plenty of lights and lamps dotted around.
I ate in both the Cameron Grill and the Boathouse during my stay. The Boathouse is lovely, very light and airy with a relaxed feel but personally I preferred the more atmospheric Cameron Grill. I travel a lot by myself and sometimes feel a bit conspicuous eating alone in restaurants but I was made to feel very comfortable here. The food was perfect in both places and the service always excellent. All the staff seemed knowledgeable about the menu and if they weren't sure of something then they were happy to go and ask. I got the impression that many of them had tried the things on the menu and so were able to offer an honest opinion (thank you to the man who suggested the cheesecake with the cornflake and praline base - delicious!). Breakfast was in the now unavoidable buffet style but eggs were freshly cooked if you asked at the counter which I really liked.
The hotel's crowning glory is the Spa, a few minutes up the road at The Carrick. The rooftop infinity pool is not to be missed. It is quite small but the views over the golf course and the loch (just visible through the trees) are incredible. I never want to get out! It you can tear yourself away then the thermal experience downstairs is great too. You do feel a little on display as the windows overlook the golf course but I always forget that as I relax on a heated bench with my book. I also had a back massage while I was there (special mention to Kimberly who worked really hard on my knotty shoulders!). The ginger tea and fudge I was given as I relaxed afterwards was just one of the many thoughtful touches which makes a visit here so special. The swimming pool back at Cameron House is large and has spectacular views of the loch. The changing rooms are probably in need of a little refurbishment but they still have everything you need.
I cannot recommend Cameron House highly enough. It is pure perfection. Perhaps the greatest complement I can give it is that the first thing I always do when I get home is plan when I can go again. I can never wait to 'haste ye back'.

Room Tip: Get a loch view if you can - it's definitely worth it!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Anne2352
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay here. Everything was near perfect. I know when you go the hotels likes this things do intend to be a bit pricey. I do think however that £12.75 for for ordinary coffees and a bottle of water is a bit much. The big plus factors are of course the location, the accommodation and the staff who are all so very friendly and helpful.

1 Thank A1950
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My partner booked two nights as a surprise for my birthday and it was an great experience from start to finish.
The staff were extremely polite and helpful.
The room we had was very sumptuous and well maintained. We had a garden view room and I had the best nights sleep in a very comfortable bed.
The hotel is very well run and there is a lot of attention to detail. We particularly enjoyed sitting in the whiskey bar.
We ate Ate at the boathouse restaurant and at the Carrick during our stay and felt both provided excellent quality food at a more reasonable price than the Cameron Grill.
Breakfast was excellent- huge variety, Buffett or a menu.
Can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here for one night for my girlfriends birthday. Firstly, I felt as though the parking arrangements weren't great. A bit far away and wasn't actually sure if I was in the right car park.
When we walked in to our room, I wasn't 'blown away'. Our bed was two single beds pushed together! Not ideal considering I was there with my girlfriend! Certainly don't expect this from a 5* hotel! The fridge also needs to be filled on request, which I find very odd. Most hotels will stock it, then take money from card if used. Dinner was also very average. We had a starter and a main course each, and four drinks in total. It came to one hundred pound, which i felt was a bit much as both of us were not satisfied with the quality of food.
The swimming pool, sauna, etc in the hotel is of good standard. Overall, I am not sure if I would go back to stay.
Iain

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#11 of 96 in Glasgow
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,515 reviews

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!