“Excellent Working Trip”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent Working Trip”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Ok Cameron House is located on the banks of the Loch....the review is for the hotel not lodges.

You are met ...your luggage taken and car parked for you. The doormen are excellent - they are the font of all knowledge ask them anything they will sort it.

The rooms are very good - I had a Loch view. Rooms are big, clean with air con the bathroom floor is heated..all accessories provided such as iron . Hair dryer etc.

The bar is excellent, service great and views wonderful...the whole hotel is plush..modern yet retaining character. The restaurant is fantastic, breakfast and evening meals wonderful. Try the haggis for breakfast you won't be disappointed.

The staff are ultra professional and polite...nothing is too much trouble.

I thought the shop was limited in what it sold, the phone signal in my room with O2 was appalling. Others with different providers were fine. The Internet is free and easy to access although did seem to cut off frequently.

The Gym and pool were fantastic as was the seaplane ride. The Spa is about 3 mile away and very very good.

The Michelin starred restraint was fantastic...sorry I forget he name.

It rained a lot but hey it's January in Scotland ! The Spa and Golf were great...try the hot stone massage !

Loved the people and the place so much to do, will surely return

Room Tip: Take waterproofs
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (883)
  • Turkish first
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stunning hotel with excellent views across the loch. Our room was very clean and very comfortable if not a little dark, but this could also be due to the fact that we visited in gloomy January! The corridors and certain area of the bar and communal areas we cold but again this could be due to the time of year we visited, and to compensate our room was very warm. Staff very helpful and polite but more staff in the bar serving would be a bonus at busy times. Drinks and food a little expensive but nothing different to any 5* hotel. Spa excellent. Valet parking fantastic. This is a lovely hotel in a beautiful location and despite my comments above I would definately go back and recommend to anyone looking to get away and recharge their batteries.

Room Tip: Ask for a loch side view room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
liverpool
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Without doubt one of the best renovated country houses in the country. The main house was renovated a decade ago to an extremely high standard. A new accommodation wing and a fitness suite including a magnificent swimming pool and sauna etc was also added. The add on features have been superbly integrated and are incredibly luxurious.

The room we stayed in was beautifully fitted, very high spec and extremely clean throughout. Just a minor point, there was no bottled water in the room which usually a standard thing in a five star establishment.

The service from all the staff in the main hotel was absolutely first class. Really high standard, prompt and attentive in every aspect and nothing was too much trouble.

This would have been the best winter short break we have had BUT…

There are three restaurants at this hotel. One of them is Michelin star rated, regretfully this was closed until February. The main hotel features “The Cameron Grill”. Again beautifully appointed and packed with very pleasant serving staff. Sadly this is where it all falls apart.

After perusing quite an extensive menu my wife and I chose as follows: Cullen Skink (Haddock, Leak and potato soup) and Orkney crab ravioli. The soup had one small slither of Haddock and thus was disappointingly bland. The ravioli was stodgy and again was devoid of taste. These were priced at £7.25 & £11.95 respectively. The main course consisted of a 300gramm Aberdeen Angus sirloin steak and Seared Shetland salmon.

The steak costing £26.50 was sadly as tough as old boots and served with two nasty onion rings that were un-edible. The Salmon fared slightly better but could have been improved on for £19.95. To add any side orders such as potato wedges to accompany the steak cost a further £4.50, vegetables the same.

With a bottle of wine (Valpolcello) and a bottle of water plus the included service charge we landed a bill for £110 which we thought given the poor standard was excessive.

Breakfast was served in the same Cameron Grill. Again very attentive waiting staff but the food left a lot to be desired with offerings of horrendous scrambled egg, dehydrated in a bain marie, and sausages that my dog would have turned his nose up at. There was a selection of croissant’s and Danish pastries that were stale. On the up side there was a selection of fresh fruit and quality juices.

Our second dining event was at the Boathouse Restaurant within the grounds of (and owned by) the hotel. Here the staff were young and appeared to be a little disorganised. The food again was at best average (an improvement on the food in the grill!) and pricey. We shared a main course of smoked salmon as a starter, £19.50 and it was really only enough as a good starter for one. This was followed by Seafood Paella (£28.00) which was a small pan of rice with six mussels a few prawns and a small piece of salmon cut up and placed on top of the rice, not very Spanish at all. The freshly baked bread was excellent. With a bottle of wine and service charge the bill ended up at £85.

I don’t object to paying top dollar if the quality shines through but sadly at Cameron house it doesn’t. A further concern in The Cameron Grill were the pictures of plates of food stuck to the wall’s in the kitchen enabling the “Chef’s” to see what the food should look like. Last time I saw something similar to this was in a Little Chef service station in the 70’s !

This magnificent venue really needs a severe overhaul in the catering department as it really lets the place down.

Would go again to indulge in the palatial amenities and fabulous location, but next time would find somewhere else to dine as at this moment in time this magnificent hotel is in a culinary wilderness.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a view of the Loch.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

We found the staff at the hotel and the Spa exceptional, nothing was an issue for them and everything was done with a smile. From the valet parking to the complimentary transport to the Spa and boat house restaurant. We have stayed in many hotels around the world and we can honestly say that the customer service was one of the best we have received and it was consistent. The Spa was worth every penny, I booked the "Escape with me" package and it has to be some of the best money I have ever spent, thank you Michelle for my treatment. The breakfast was excellent but we did think the Boat house restaurant a little average and the Cameron grill a bit over priced. Fantastic for a romantic break and I'm already looking to book again for a Girls Spa break.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited for a few days of R&R. I have waited three days before writing this . The reason I waited is because I left a letter for the general manager with a few of my observations , as yet no acknowledgement .
After reading the reviews I had high expectations however we were both quite underwhelmed by our experience .
The good things, we had a nice room with loch views which was extremely clean . My treatment I had at the Spa was excellent . I believe the lady had just won therapist of the year
The not so good
They seemed under staffed or as if they were winding down after Christmas.
We visited the boat house pleasant setting boasting a wide selection of seafood. On the night we ate there no oysters or muscles. They said the delivery hadn't turned up .
We went back to Scott's bar I ordered a Bellini, however they had no peaches ( in fairness they made an excellent raspberry one for me instead)
On the Monday night we ate in the cameron Grill food was fine nothing special though . We ordered a bottle of a Ruinart Rose they had sold out. We asked for verve clique instead however they had sold out. When we left the restaurant we were told they had had a busy Saturday and there deliveries didn't come till Tuesday . I had explained about the Boathouse the night before and she said she couldn't understand that as if the boathouse is low they would send from the main restaurant . Maybe someone couldn't be bothered. We then went back to Scott's bar and I noticed the fire was lit and it was quite cold . The waitress said to go sit in the main bit but stay away from the windows as it was cold . I found this bizarre so we just left . On the way back to the room I asked at reception for a comment card . The gentleman said that within half an hour of leaving we would receive one on line . I said I would prefer to put pen to paper . At no point did he ask me what the problem was , neither did we receive the email.Whilst the Spa is lovely the after service I received at reception was one of indifference . There were some nice staff there but I would be in no rush to return. It maybe a five star hotel but font go Sun to Tues as you most definitely won't receive 5 star service / standards

3 Thank Lilybuttons
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed many times, handy for us if we want to travel north from Devon as it's easy to get to and beautifully located on the banks of the Loch. Rooms are lovely, although a little dark. Very well appointed. The great Scots Bar is great as is the Boat House, but a hotel this size lacks enough public rooms or areas, especially since they got rid of the little lounge beside Martin Wisharts restaurant.
Could be better if it was an independent hotel, has the chain feel to it. Also is quite expensive when you are there for what it is. The food isn't great, more 4 star than 5 but that's what you get with large hotels set up on a corporate strategy who cater for weddings and conferences as a good part of their bread and butter and also popular for non residents and weddings for people aspiring to a bit of luxury cluttering the public areas and lowering the tone of what could be an exclusive 'true' luxury hotel. The problem I guess is finding the balance between how they wish to be pitched. If you are an aspirational luxury hotel requiring the cash of the everyday man/woman in the street, there will always be a trade off.
When you look at it like this and stay during the week, it's a lovely place. We just avoid weekends. It loses it charm then for us.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Booked "Stay with me package " in September 2013 to stay January 2014 for partners 40th birthday celebration/surprise. Booked Claret jug for dinner as wanted relaxed atmosphere after spending day in spa and getting treatments. Had noticed that other restaurants have dress code. Also booked afternoon tea with spa direct but was then informed in December "we don't do afternoon tea in spa". On 18th January less than 24 hrs before arrival to hotel I received phone call from spa to say our meal at claret jug (which was included in package) had to be cancelled due to claret jug closing at 4pm . When I asked why it was closing?, I was informed "because of emergency". I asked to speak to manager and eventually managed to speak to Ewan grant who informed me "we decided to close claret jug early at end of December as lodges quiet ". Well I'm sorry, but what about all the other people that have paid their money and been booked since September , what about honouring their requirements?. Needless to say with the poor poor customer service I cancelled my stay and took my refund but this jut meant my partners birthday surprise was ruined. I have stayed in other 5star hotels and never received this level of poor service

1 Thank pauleen75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Lodge on Loch Lomond
#4 of 4 in Alexandria
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!